I'm trying to prolong my battery life I don't really care to use a task killer I hear those are bad however I'm currently using juice defender it seems to be ok I'm currently new to android ive had apple all my life so any tips or cool apps would help thanks

Posted via Android Central App
    05-14-2013 04:56 PM
    First I would recommend checking some of the other posts out there for solutions for battery drain. There a few that have a ton of info in them already. Second, there's a spot in the settings that will tell you what is using the battery the most and let's you even adjust the settings from there (display is a big one). Also turn off un-needed services (Bluetooth, sensors like smart stay, etc) that you don't use. Otherwise they're active all the time for no reason. Hope this helps!
    05-14-2013 07:02 PM
    Some quick things to do:
    -do not use a task killer, the newer versions of android handle the ram better than 3rd party task managers( juice defender or similar app is fine)
    -make sure power saving mode is on and all the boxes are checked
    -disable any service you are not using(GPS, Data, etc.). You can use an app like "tasker" to do some of it automatically
    -do not use any live wallpapers
    -use a dark colored wallpaper
    -uninstall apps that you do not use
    -some widgets take up more battery than others because they constantly need to refresh
    -turn off smart stay, s-voice, and motion detection
    -use wifi over 4g if possible
    -lower the screen brightness. this will make the single biggest difference but may not be possible. I have an S3 and most of the time I have it on full brightness because in the sun it gets washed out.
    I use "Velis auto brightness". It seems to work better than the stock auto brightness setting. Plus its more configurable.
    -some people say 3rd party launchers(ADW, Launcher Pro, Nova, etc.) use less power than stock but I'm not sure about that. I do use Nova Prime on both my phone and tablet.
    -if you go to -settings-battery it will show you what is using most of the battery(the screen will always be on top). You can use this to see a particular app is hogging the battery.

Most of these are common sense type stuff and individually don't do much, but put together you can get a decent amount of juice out of your battery. It's not really much different than what you would do on an iphone.

If you really want to go extreme you can root the device(jailbreak) and install a rom which is geared to saving battery. Once rooted you can also under clock the cpu to get ever more. You can also change other settings to get maximum battery performance. There are a lot of instability issues with roms and some functions and apps may stop working. Plus there's a chance you can brick your device.

Honestly if your that worried about battery life the best thing to do is get and extra battery or extended battery(when they become available). Most extended batteries add a lot of bulk but give you enough juice for a couple of days of heavy use. I have an S3 with an extended battery(3200mah) that is the same size as stock(2100mah) so it fits without adding any thickness. There's a S3 battery that's(7000mah) but doubles the thickness of the phone. I'm sure in a couple of months extended batteries will be available for the S4.
    nata_panya and tarball like this.
    05-14-2013 07:25 PM
    05-15-2013 03:45 PM
    05-15-2013 03:47 PM