Was it Adobe the one that cut ties with android?

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
or was it the other way around? It just surprises me that Adobe would be removed from these phones, especially since the s4 has a big beautiful screen. it almost feels like it went to waste.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
or was it the other way around? It just surprises me that Adobe would be removed from these phones, especially since the s4 has a big beautiful screen. it almost feels like it went to waste.

I think it was Adobe that cut the ties. They outright announced that there would be no support after 4.0.x.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it was Adobe that cut the ties. They outright announced that there would be no support after 4.0.x.
but I find it strange that Adobe would still release newer versions of Adobe flash player for android under the archives section. it sure would have been nice to have it in our s4 phones without having to use a third party browser.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree with that. On my s3, I was able to watch any movie or tv show I wanted online. Also some YouTube videos are not available on mobile so flash player worked great with those videos. Without flash player, you pretty much crippled the browsing experience.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Because Flash on Android wasn't a good experience.

Maybe that was true with older phones with slower processors. But now with these fast dual and quad core processors, flash works better on my phone than my slow-as-heck laptop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that was true with older phones with slower processors. But now with these fast dual and quad core processors, flash works better on my phone than my slow-as-heck laptop.

That's exactly what ithink. On my Evo 4G, it was choppy at times, but on my s2 and s3, it worked great.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would disagree as well.
Flash worked well on my Evo and Evo3D. If maybe they continued support phones like Nexus 4, One, S4, DNA, Note II, etc. would be rocking some awesome flash playback.

They started in the Pre days.. and that went haywire... cause the Pre had such a small screen it was hardly worth it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

It may have worked, but it never worked WELL. It was a subpar experience all around, with poor performance. There's a reason adobe killed it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
but I find it strange that Adobe would still release newer versions of Adobe flash player for android under the archives section. it sure would have been nice to have it in our s4 phones without having to use a third party browser.

They are releasing security fixes, not new versions. Adobe stopped all development (besides security fixes) for mobile flash. It is part of a bigger strategic plan that will ultimately result in the death of flash.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm just glad that this thread points the finger at Adobe, not Google, not Apple for the death of Flash on mobile.

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Firefox beta w/ flash. It works perfectly, and Firefox runs circles around Chrome. My wife was a diehard Chrome user. Within 5 minutes of finally getting her to try Firefox she deleted Chrome from her phone, N7 and laptop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, Google as well as Apple had a lot to do with it by accepting html5 standards instead of flash.

Once the ball was rolling, Adobe saw the handwriting on the wall. They couldn't make a version of flash that would match up with html5's slender memory usage. Security issues were a whole other story as well.

Flash was, and always will be, a resource hog. It could crash a quad core desktop with multiple gigabytes of ram.

Myself for one, say goodbye and good riddance. I can do without flash video. Some people may enjoy it, but not me.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Firefox beta w/ flash. It works perfectly, and Firefox runs circles around Chrome. My wife was a diehard Chrome user. Within 5 minutes of finally getting her to try Firefox she deleted Chrome from her phone, N7 and laptop.

what's the difference beween firefox and the beta version?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly what ithink. On my Evo 4G, it was choppy at times, but on my s2 and s3, it worked great.

Same here, but flash performance on the Galaxy S2 may vary. The original Exynos-powered international Galaxy S2 ran flash with no issues (same case with the other Galaxy S2 variants in the US besides T-Mobile's), while the Qualcomm-equipped T-Mobile Galaxy S2 ran flash smoothly with a few stutters in between. (The latter runs flash great with no stutter on an AOSP ROM such as CM10, however.)

Posted via Android Central App

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's more likely that Google was the one to cut ties with adobe when it comes to flash as a result of rising interest and usage of HTML5 in websites, but if it was really Adobe who severed the ties, the fact that the company still releases archived versions of flash to android devices doesn't help in alleviating the issue, even if adobe announced that 4.0.x devices and up will no longer have support.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's more likely that Google was the one to cut ties with adobe when it comes to flash as a result of rising interest and usage of HTML5 in websites, but if it was really Adobe who severed the ties, the fact that the company still releases archived versions of flash to android devices doesn't help in alleviating the issue, even if adobe announced that 4.0.x devices and up will no longer have support.

Adobe stopped developing for it. Google didn't tell Adobe to stop.