Why Isn't Music Player a Multi-View App on S4?

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The stock Samsung music player on my Note 10.1 is a multi-view app (shows up on the multi-view launch bar) but does not show up on the S4 (Sprint). When driving with the Note 10.1 docked in my car, like to have Maps on one side of the screen and the music player on the other. Thought I could do the same with the more portable S4, but the Samsung music player does not show up on the multi-view launch bar even though both player apps appear to be almost functionally the same on both the S4 and Note 10.1. Just wondering if anyone else's S4 has the Samsung music player on their multi-view launcher (Sprint or any other carrier). Haven't checked closely to see what other apps do and don't show up on the respective Note 10.1 and S4 multi-view launchers. Also, I notice that I often lose the multi-view launch bar grab tab and have to restore it by cycling the multi-view enable icon on the quick settings menu (even though the icon still shows multi-view is enabled). Anyone else experiencing this too? Thanks.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Does the note put the controls in the notification panel? If not, there's your answer. (also, there probably wouldn't be a good way to implement it)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
JHB thx for the reply. The note and other galaxy tabs do indeed put the stock music player controls in the notification panel. But that is a convenience interface feature since, unlike the phones (including the S4) the controls don't show up on the lock screen (and you can "pull up" the notification panel from the lock screen). In fact, before I got the Note 10.1 I used the notification panel on my Tab 7 Plus as a sort of poor man's multi-window (using the proper term now, instead of "multi-view") for the music player while I had google maps on the full screen. Not sure why having the controls on the notification panel would preclude the the app from being multi-window compatible on the S4 since the controls would show up on the player's app window as well. What am I missing about having the controls on the notification panel as a reason to preclude having the app appear in multi-window mode in touchwiz? There are a lot of non-obvious touchwiz features (and quirks/bugs) that I am still learning 2 years after getting my first Samsung galaxy device (the original galaxy tab).

Speaking of still learning: I also figured out from a thread in the Note 2 forum (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...9-multi-window-compatible-3rd-party-apps.html) why my multi-window tab kept disappearing (despite having multi-window enabled in settings). For those who are as in the dark as I am regarding the arcanities of touch wiz, holding the back button toggles the multi-window tray in three states (tray tab present, tray tab absent, and extend tray). This is only works (of course) if you have multi-window enabled in settings. Check out the linked thread for some good info on multi-window implementation in touchwiz including a listing of touchwiz-multi-window-compatible third party apps.

Of course if you root (which enables multi-window for just about any app using the root enabled multi-window app launcher) and/or don't have any reason to use the stock music player (I am sure I am in the minority on this one), these issues are all moot - but thanks for reading anyway.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
JHB thx for the reply. The note and other galaxy tabs do indeed put the stock music player controls in the notification panel. But that is a convenience interface feature since, unlike the phones (including the S4) the controls don't show up on the lock screen (and you can "pull up" the notification panel from the lock screen). In fact, before I got the Note 10.1 I used the notification panel on my Tab 7 Plus as a sort of poor man's multi-window (using the proper term now, instead of "multi-view") for the music player while I had google maps on the full screen. Not sure why having the controls on the notification panel would preclude the the app from being multi-window compatible on the S4 since the controls would show up on the player's app window as well. What am I missing about having the controls on the notification panel as a reason to preclude having the app appear in multi-window mode in touchwiz? There are a lot of non-obvious touchwiz features (and quirks/bugs) that I am still learning 2 years after getting my first Samsung galaxy device (the original galaxy tab).

Speaking of still learning: I also figured out from a thread in the Note 2 forum (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...9-multi-window-compatible-3rd-party-apps.html) why my multi-window tab kept disappearing (despite having multi-window enabled in settings). For those who are as in the dark as I am regarding the arcanities of touch wiz, holding the back button toggles the multi-window tray in three states (tray tab present, tray tab absent, and extend tray). This is only works (of course) if you have multi-window enabled in settings. Check out the linked thread for some good info on multi-window implementation in touchwiz including a listing of touchwiz-multi-window-compatible third party apps.

Of course if you root (which enables multi-window for just about any app using the root enabled multi-window app launcher) and/or don't have any reason to use the stock music player (I am sure I am in the minority on this one), these issues are all moot - but thanks for reading anyway.

Its easier to use the controls on the notification shade on a phone than on a tablet. Its literally one swipe away. Conversely, it's also easier to use multi Window on the tablet than on the phone. There isn't a good way to implement it on the phone because major parts of the UI will be excluded.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800