From iPhone to Android

MikeA86

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've read a lot from other people converting and I feel like I gotta chime in. I've owned an iPhone since 2009 and got my galaxy s4 a week ago. Except for my macbook not wanting to talk to it the transition has been painless. I've even surpassed my friends who have had android for years with what I know about my device. It's simple stuff folks, the interface is easy, there is plenty of help online when you do get confused...it's just not the pain in the **** people claim. The best advice I can give is when you want to do something and can't find the option to do it hit the menu button next to the home button. I do that in every app and this phone does everything I want and works as advertised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm really glad you like it. You are probably gonna face some frustrations at some point being new to android but thats just what happens when you move to a new os. :)

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've read a lot from other people converting and I feel like I gotta chime in. I've owned an iPhone since 2009 and got my galaxy s4 a week ago. Except for my macbook not wanting to talk to it the transition has been painless. I've even surpassed my friends who have had android for years with what I know about my device. It's simple stuff folks, the interface is easy, there is plenty of help online when you do get confused...it's just not the pain in the **** people claim. The best advice I can give is when you want to do something and can't find the option to do it hit the menu button next to the home button. I do that in every app and this phone does everything I want and works as advertised.

I applaud you for not being lazy when it comes to trouble shooting. Unfortunately, the majority of people are which is why Apple excels.....IMO of course!

fluffygood

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just switched myself from iphone5 to the 32gb S4. It only been four days but so far I like the S4 a lot better.

Ameer Nuub

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am a recent switch from iphone as well. Aside from a few gripes (no autocorrect after space, no phone auto-mute when connected to bluetooth headphones, how email layout handles multiple accounts, no text by wifi, etc), overall I am extremely pleased with the S4.

Last edited:

ReDDevil2112

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If you want autocorrect after hitting the space bar, use SwiftKey. You should be using SwiftKey anyhow, most people agree it's the best keyboard avaliable.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
OP i'm right there with you. Had an iPhone for 4 years. Made the switch to S4 and got my S4 up and running with all my contacts and music and set up how i wanted in a few hours. Plus i'm still learning things here and there which make this phone better every day.

No regrets!

slimmer1972

May 15, 2013
Visit site
iPhone user since 2008. I like the S4, but there are a couple things I'm going to have to get used to: Photo library was a little labour intensive to set up, I have an ISP that doesn't have a cellular/mobile SMTP available so I have to manually switch the SMTP address everytime use WiFi (iPhone allowed multiple smtp) and the battery life...whoah. I've used 20% this morning and I've only checked the phone half a dozen times. And Kies is no iTunes.

Ameer Nuub

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you want autocorrect after hitting the space bar, use SwiftKey. You should be using SwiftKey anyhow, most people agree it's the best keyboard avaliable.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I want to tap to type, and don't want to swipe from letter to letter... does swiftkey support autocorrect after space from conventional tap-typing?

Last edited:

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never really understood that claim by Apple users. Android has the main things set up right in front of u as well. Just plain laziness by most users. Applaud you for being the rare find.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

Kata Rina

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It took a while for me to use the S4 coming from day 1 iPhone.
I tried to use the s4 like I would the iPhone and that did not go well. With time I got myself using features I never used Before like the Notifacation center.
The toggles are so quick and easy. Just wonderful.
I love touch wiz and widgets
I miss the visual voicemail and a few other things ( using apps) and I did keep my iPhone5 but I can not imagine not having the big screen. I love the battery life and faster processor (I like fast) too
I also got the view flip cover and man that is the coolest accesorie can't wait for pink
Overall I am not comparing I like both and can't wait for the iP5s but at this time I prefer the S4

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
And Kies is no iTunes.

Unfortunately, this is true. However, there are a ton of options for migrating your music in Android. The best thing about the entire OS is the complete freedom that it allows. You won't feel like your trapped in a "apple-shaped box" anymore. Good luck to you.

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
You could try this for visual voice mail. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....android&feature=search_result&token=KlUkAXXX..
It took a while for me to use the S4 coming from day 1 iPhone.
I tried to use the s4 like I would the iPhone and that did not go well. With time I got myself using features I never used Before like the Notifacation center.
The toggles are so quick and easy. Just wonderful.
I love touch wiz and widgets
I miss the visual voicemail and a few other things ( using apps) and I did keep my iPhone5 but I can not imagine not having the big screen. I love the battery life and faster processor (I like fast) too
I also got the view flip cover and man that is the coolest accesorie can't wait for pink
Overall I am not comparing I like both and can't wait for the iP5s but at this time I prefer the S4

ReDDevil2112

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I want to tap to type, and don't want to swipe from letter to letter... does swiftkey support autocorrect after space from conventional tap-typing?

Yes, SwiftKey Flow (the Swype style typing) is actually fairly new; SwiftKey is popular for its strong autocorrect and prediction features and has been known for this before the swype style typing was even introduced. Personally if you want swipe typing, the regular Swype keyboard works better, but SwiftKey is the best tap typing keyboard you can get.

It even auto spaces words. You can miss spell two words, not put a space between both misspelled words, and swift key will still (usually) correct BOTH words AND separate them with a space. It's pretty awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I am also moving from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and just have a quick question: I don't have a lot of music but do use iTunes for podcasts..... is there an Android app anyone can recommend that will make this part of the transition easier? Thank in advance

MikeA86

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've used 20% this morning and I've only checked the phone half a dozen times. And Kies is no iTunes.
Kies is no iTunes but Google play music app is pretty close. In the end I went to kies to keep music on my phone but Google to hand my whole library available.
And the battery fades from 100% quick but didn't seem to drain as fast once it gets neat 70%. That could just be in my mind though

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am also moving from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and just have a quick question: I don't have a lot of music but do use iTunes for podcasts..... is there an Android app anyone can recommend that will make this part of the transition easier? Thank in advance

Scott, the Google play store has several Podcast APPS that might do what you want. Can't recommend one however since I never do Podcasts.

natethechamp

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
There a tons of free apps that will take care of it for you. Most have a built in search functions to find the podcasts you're looking for, but they aren't nearly as robust as iTunes. You'll have to hunt down the RSS addresses for those the search doesn't find, but once you get everything set up, you'll be good to go. I personally like Podcast Addict. It auto-downloads and auto-queues. You can put a widget on your homescreen and get everythign going with one touch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1