Help / Warning - Do NOT get your Galaxy S4 wet!

mattfx

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

My names Matt, I am a motorcyclist. Unfortunately for me, whilst motorcycling (in my gore-tex trousers I hasten to add) I had my S4 in my pocket. The tiniest (and I mean, real tiny) amount of water somehow got into my pocket, and it has killed my charging port.

The phone now recognises when plugged into a laptop via USB, vibrates, screen goes blank, then vibrates again. Rinse, wash, repeat. Obviously it wont charge. Everything else is fine, but the charger seems pretty damn dead. I've taken the battery out and the rear plastic off to try and get it to dry in a heavily air conditioned room, but I fear the worst.

This was literally a tiny amount of water, nothing massive. I've dropped a phone in the bath and had better luck than this before. Has anyone else had any similar problems?!

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Help / Warning - Do NOT get your S4 wet!

Leave the battery out to prevent any more damage. Seal the phone in a zip lock or plastic container with dry (uncooked) rice. Leave it for 24 hours and hope for the best. Rice will draw moisture out of the phone. If you have any of those silica gel packets that come packed with a lot of electronic gear and medicines, throw some of those in the bag, too. Good luck.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

A poster here dropped hers (well, her kid, actually) into an inch of coffee and the phone survived. CNet performed the usual 'dunk-in-fish-tank' test and it survived. I've had mine and the gym and certainly got wet a couple of times, and it's still kicking.

That being said, Samsung's charging ports ARE KNOWN to be prone to wonkiness. Yes, most of the times water will trip them, but sometimes it could be a dirty port (caused by dust and water). Try setting your phone in rice to dry it off completely, then take a small brush and GENTLY clean off the port as much as you can.

Also, try charging your phone while off just to rule out a software issue.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys,

My names Matt, I am a motorcyclist. Unfortunately for me, whilst motorcycling (in my gore-tex trousers I hasten to add) I had my S4 in my pocket. The tiniest (and I mean, real tiny) amount of water somehow got into my pocket, and it has killed my charging port.

The phone now recognises when plugged into a laptop via USB, vibrates, screen goes blank, then vibrates again. Rinse, wash, repeat. Obviously it wont charge. Everything else is fine, but the charger seems pretty damn dead. I've taken the battery out and the rear plastic off to try and get it to dry in a heavily air conditioned room, but I fear the worst.

This was literally a tiny amount of water, nothing massive. I've dropped a phone in the bath and had better luck than this before. Has anyone else had any similar problems?!

Cheers,

Matt

A Google search revealed no problem as you've described. I would have titled your article, "Help / Warning - Do NOT get your S4 cell phone wet! I want to be sure I understand this, you've dropped a cell phone in a bathtub full of water and had worst results with a tiny amount of water in your pocket? I'm at a loss as to how that could have possibly happened. Is there a wetness detector in the battery compartment? (My wife has my phone or I would check). Has it changed colors? It may be something other than water that caused your problem.

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site

As a motorcyclist too, I've ridden in the rain many many times, and I carry a zip loc plastic bag for my wallet and phone when it rains. I can't blame a cell phone to repel water unless it states it's waterproof.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

mattfx

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the advice. I knew about the rice, I'm currently at work so the air conned room is going to have to do 'til later. Tohio I think you may be right and it could be a different problem, my only concern in returning it to Voda is that because there has been the slightest bit of moisture in the phone, that they will turn around and say it's water damage thats caused the issue, even if it isnt. I cant see any liquid indicators under the battery though.....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

The indicator is within the phone, you have to pop it open to see it, and that's how they usually get out of warranty replacements :( BTW, I do believe that if you pop it open it also voids your warranty, but I'm not sure if there's a seal that breaks if you unscrew the backplate.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the advice. I knew about the rice, I'm currently at work so the air conned room is going to have to do 'til later. Tohio I think you may be right and it could be a different problem, my only concern in returning it to Voda is that because there has been the slightest bit of moisture in the phone, that they will turn around and say it's water damage thats caused the issue, even if it isnt. I cant see any liquid indicators under the battery though.....

In the bottom right corner of the battery compartment there is a tiny circle that may be a moisture indicator.

mattfx

May 15, 2013
Visit site

got it. If it is, mine is like a kinda off white / almost light bronze. Anyone elses look like this?

mattfx

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Cool.. I'll head off to Vodafone later and try and get them to swap the handset out. Cheers guys

mattfx

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Hold up! It lives!!! I messed about and blew the charge port out a good few times (a lot harder than at first) and it has now started charging!

Going to clean the contacts up later, Probably still give it the rice treatment, make sure its totally dry, but so far so good!

Thanks guys

Amy Schwarz

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

A poster here dropped hers (well, her kid, actually) into an inch of coffee and the phone survived. CNet performed the usual 'dunk-in-fish-tank' test and it survived. I've had mine and the gym and certainly got wet a couple of times, and it's still kicking.

That being said, Samsung's charging ports ARE KNOWN to be prone to wonkiness. Yes, most of the times water will trip them, but sometimes it could be a dirty port (caused by dust and water). Try setting your phone in rice to dry it off completely, then take a small brush and GENTLY clean off the port as much as you can.

Also, try charging your phone while off just to rule out a software issue.

That was me and after 36 hours in rice my phone is right as rain, knock on wood! Good luck with yours!

MyHTC8MyS4

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

This was literally a tiny amount of water, nothing massive.
It only takes one drop of water in the right place to destroy any piece of electronics. It's important to plan ahead and know what to do when your phone gets wet. Good article here talks about what works best and how to increase your odds of repairing a wet smartphone.

I dropped mine in the toilet, she's still great haha
I would think that would cause crappy reception. LOl...

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

It only takes one drop of water in the right place to destroy any piece of electronics. It's important to plan ahead and know what to do when your phone gets wet. Good article here talks about what works best and how to increase your odds of repairing a wet smartphone.

I would think that would cause crappy reception. LOl...

I see what ya did there.. :thumbup::D

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

Mascondante

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Leave the battery out to prevent any more damage. Seal the phone in a zip lock or plastic container with dry (uncooked) rice. Leave it for 24 hours and hope for the best. Rice will draw moisture out of the phone. If you have any of those silica gel packets that come packed with a lot of electronic gear and medicines, throw some of those in the bag, too. Good luck.

The rice trick worked for me. I tried a hair dryer and placing the S4 on warm electronics. Nothing worked. 6 hrs chilling with the rice made my phone happy and dry as a desert. Thank you.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc