Hi there, this post will reveal my skill level pretty quickly . . .

My S4 (TMo) arrives today. I will be switching from my beloved S2. I was told by TMo that I'll need to activate the new SIM card that arrives with my new phone.

Here's my question:

Do I just move my memory card to the new phone, link up with my Gmail account and then voila everything will magically appear on my new phone? Including all my apps and their data?

It seems too simple to be true. I don't want to jack this up. I've read about some back up programs on this forum, should I run one?

Thanks in advance for any replies. If you need more info about apps let me know - it's pretty standard stuff, of the ones not linked to Google (task list, etc) for info I'm thinking Color Note (which I believe backs up to the chip), Double Twist (music), a program called Mileage Tracker - that data should all be on my chip, right?

Thanks again!
    05-15-2013 11:01 AM
    Anyone? Come on, someone who is much more expert than I am must have some advice . . . or certainly an opinion. ;-)

Thanks in advance.
    05-15-2013 01:36 PM
    Try using Samsung Kies to backup the data from the S2 then try to restore the data on the S4.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    akmolloy likes this.
    05-15-2013 01:41 PM
    Seems to have gone well, with zero back up.

Just met met my husband for a glass of wine, he brought the phone (which he had thoughtfully charged for me at home after it arrived) - didn't see the message above about Kies until just now.

While we were out, I inserted the new SIM card, called TMo to activate the card, linked it to my Gmail account, and everything started downloading. I've had just a quick look around, everything seems to be there . . .

. . . . .except I have no prior text messages. If anyone has brilliant ideas about pulling up past txt messages, fill me in. And thanks . . . .
    05-15-2013 06:52 PM
    Seems to have gone well, with zero back up.

Just met met my husband for a glass of wine, he brought the phone (which he had thoughtfully charged for me at home after it arrived) - didn't see the message above about Kies until just now.

While we were out, I inserted the new SIM card, called TMo to activate the card, linked it to my Gmail account, and everything started downloading. I've had just a quick look around, everything seems to be there . . .

. . . . .except I have no prior text messages. If anyone has brilliant ideas about pulling up past txt messages, fill me in. And thanks . . . .
    I used a program called mybackup Pro from the play store. it costs $5. There might be a free program that works but don't know of any. Mybackup pro should restore the text messages including mms. Not sure about apps when moving to a new phone. When I used it I just restored apps deleted due to a factory reset
    05-15-2013 09:02 PM
    I upgraded from a s2 also and what an amazing leap of technology in only 2 years.

I used mysms which backs up your texts to your desktop basically and syncs it.
    So when I opened the app on my new phone, it synced all my old texts.

May be too late since you've already made the switch.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 09:02 PM