Can anyone explain to me the difference between the Google Edition and the i9500? Are there any differences in performance or does one have something the other doesn't? What exactly? And which one would you prefer and why. Sorry if stupid question, fairly new to android and curious. Looking forward to hear some replies!
    05-15-2013 06:48 PM
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the Google Edition and the i9500? Are there any differences in performance or does one have something the other doesn't? What exactly? And which one would you prefer and why. Sorry if stupid question, fairly new to android and curious. Looking forward to hear some replies!
    This one will not have smart stay, eye tracking stuff, the camera software, s-voice, s-health, s-everything else, knox or any of the other Samsung software. Also, we're not sure yet if the SD card will work or not.
    05-15-2013 07:02 PM
    Oh wow. So basically, the only thing it has is stock android instead of touchwiz? Hmm, Seems like I'll just go with the i9500. I personally don't think I'll have problem with touchwiz so I guess I'll skip the google edition then.
    05-15-2013 07:11 PM
    Oh wow. So basically, the only thing it has is stock android instead of touchwiz? Hmm, Seems like I'll just go with the i9500. I personally don't think I'll have problem with touchwiz so I guess I'll skip the google edition then.
    Right, if you want the i9500 to feel like stock you can always put Nova Launcher on it or a stock ROM.
    05-15-2013 07:12 PM
    I see, great! Thanks for the reply! One question though, why all the hype then? I'm seeing some people regretting for not waiting for the Google Edition but... it doesn't really add anything. It actually removes many stuff.
    05-15-2013 07:22 PM
    I see, great! Thanks for the reply! One question though, why all the hype then? I'm seeing some people regretting for not waiting for the Google Edition but... it doesn't really add anything. It actually removes many stuff.
    There are a lot of people who love the quality of Samsung products and the hardware, screen, etc. but don't want TouchWiz on it, they want the Nexus feel to it and the quick updates directly from Google.
    05-15-2013 07:24 PM
    Got it. Thank you!
    05-15-2013 07:28 PM
    What are the chances some stable mods built off of the S4 Google edition will emerge? Seems like a perfect way for the ROM community to build some great stuff for both the S3&4 right? At least I hope so! Especially since the most stable ones right now still have camera issues among other things.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-15-2013 07:32 PM
    The Google Edition has stock instead of TouchWiz. It will get updates much faster than the normal version and will run faster out of the box because of the lack of bloatware.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-15-2013 07:55 PM
    What are the chances some stable mods built off of the S4 Google edition will emerge? Seems like a perfect way for the ROM community to build some great stuff for both the S3&4 right? At least I hope so! Especially since the most stable ones right now still have camera issues among other things.

That's what I see as the highest benefit of this device. It'll sell some and that's cool, but the main value is from a development standpoint.
    05-15-2013 07:57 PM
    If you just want stock Android, the nexus 4 is a better buy. The stuff a galaxy s4 offers over a nexus 4 is nice, but it doesn't justify double the price.

I think the biggest thing about the google galaxy s4 is what it may be foreshadowing. Let's get real, owning a nexus means compromises, and now googles giving us a no compromises device with pure android and updates. And I doubt it'll be the only one. What it's foreshadowing I'm hoping is more google experience phones on the play store. Always thought it was ridiculous that real android only ever came out for one phone.

But if your wanting an s4 off contract it's probably a better deal too since the carrier versions have locked bootloaders and your getting a warranty with it without having to worry about voiding it trying techniques to unlock the bootloader. Also I believe it's $649 no commitment from at&t so off contract there really isn't a reason not to get googles s4

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-15-2013 08:07 PM
    Quick question, having never used an android system. Looks like everyone is talking about how the TW camera is so much better than the one on the Nexus, is there anyway to just flash some kind of rom to replace the nexus camera with the one on TW?
    05-15-2013 08:10 PM
    If you just want stock Android, the nexus 4 is a better buy. The stuff a galaxy s4 offers over a nexus 4 is nice, but it doesn't justify double the price.

I think the biggest thing about the google galaxy s4 is what it may be foreshadowing. Let's get real, owning a nexus means compromises, and now googles giving us a no compromises device with pure android and updates. And I doubt it'll be the only one. What it's foreshadowing I'm hoping is more google experience phones on the play store. Always thought it was ridiculous that real android only ever came out for one phone.

But if your wanting an s4 off contract it's probably a better deal too since the carrier versions have locked bootloaders and your getting a warranty with it without having to worry about voiding it trying techniques to unlock the bootloader. Also I believe it's $649 no commitment from at&t so off contract there really isn't a reason not to get googles s4

What are the compromises for a Nexus? Every one that's ever been released, be it phone or tablet, has been the best device on the market on the day it was released and 3 of those devices have records for the longest reigning device in their respective niche. This last one, the Nexus 4, missing LTE was a shocker, but it's still capable of blazing fast data if you're on the right network. The majority of people can get a GSM carrier in their area, but GSM carriers have very limited LTE networks so far, so it kinda makes sense.
    05-15-2013 08:12 PM
    No but there are better camera apps on the play store. I can vouch for that, the Google camera app isn't the greatest.

I've always liked camera zoom fx myself

05-15-2013 08:12 PM
    No but there are better camera apps on the play store. I can vouch for that, the Google camera app isn't the greatest.

I've always liked camera zoom fx myself

Nexus camera's have been pretty much junk, although the N4 was pretty decent compared to all of the others. Other than the panorama stuff, it's pretty weak.
    05-15-2013 08:28 PM
    Yeah from what I read the nexus 4 actually has a nice sensor but the software sucks.

It's ok, but no doubt it's a downgrade from the htc vivid camera I had before. I love the ui of the camera app, but the app still needs overhauled. Needs imaging quality fixes and 16:9 pictures support.

Aquila likes this.
    05-16-2013 05:00 AM
    What are the compromises for a Nexus? Every one that's ever been released, be it phone or tablet, has been the best device on the market on the day it was released and 3 of those devices have records for the longest reigning device in their respective niche. This last one, the Nexus 4, missing LTE was a shocker, but it's still capable of blazing fast data if you're on the right network. The majority of people can get a GSM carrier in their area, but GSM carriers have very limited LTE networks so far, so it kinda makes sense.
    Comprimises:
    Camera quality
    No sd card slot
    Lack of support for Verizon (while not a big deal to some it IS the nations largest carrier)
    Lack of out of the box functionality (again subjective but there are a lot of cool features touchwiz, sense offer that arent available to nexus devices)

Im sure there are more but the Verizon thing is a huge one. I work for them and im embarassed at how they handled the galaxy nexus. And you cant just buy one from the play store and activate it on big red. So if you have VzDub and want a nexus you have to settle for sub par service and switch to another carrier.

05-16-2013 06:04 AM
    I am a newbie, so my comments might not have any credence but here goes. The reply that states that in the Google S4 the SD card might not work in it, would make me take everything coming from that source big time suspect. In the past, in almost all devices, when an aftermarket comes out with the device and soups it up, 9 out 10 or I can say 10 out of 10, the device/item is better than stock.

Just saying..
    05-16-2013 06:42 AM
    Nexus Bluetooth support tends to suck, because AOSP bluetooth support tends to suck.

- No AVRCP 1.3+
    - No Bluetooth LE
    - No aptX.

Samsung adds all three, and most manufacturers at least update the AVRCP profile.
    05-16-2013 07:28 AM
    The Google Edition has stock instead of TouchWiz. It will get updates much faster than the normal version and will run faster out of the box because of the lack of bloatware.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Is there still bloatware if you get an unlocked international version? Or is that a carrier thing? Also, how faster would you get the updates? Thanks!
    05-16-2013 10:42 AM

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that this was real. I got the AT&T GS4 and I'd like to try a stock rom when the unlock is released.
    My only concern is the IR blaster. Will the watchon app still be included in this version or a stock/Peel IR controller app be created? I actually enjoy using that thing. Surely they wouldn't render it useless.
    05-16-2013 12:54 PM