How many of you?

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have both an HTC One and Lumia 920 that are active. I use the One 90% of the time. I really like the 920, love its camera, and appreciate the design of WP8, but the app situation is painful. I always like supporting the underdog but I'm not sure how much longer I'll pay for both.

My impression of WP8 is a little more positive than tgp's (I'm fine with the settings menu, never seen any stuttering when moving around on the Lumia, and do find Live Tiles work pretty well for me in place of an actual notification center) but the lack of flexibility and app selection does keep me coming back to Android for now.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Well I have my s4 and I have the opportunity to pick up a 32gb iPhone 5 for 460 today or a nexus 4 16gb plus the charging orb for 310......decisions decisions!

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got the HTC one and was using the iPhone 5 I love this phone but miss the home button. Love the design.

You said you were using both. Which one you like better and why.

Posted via Android Central App

hTc One. Build & Feel of it, I use it at home without a case. Not only the Display is better but 4.7" is the perfect size for Super Phones, the S4 has this dim issue. I just wish hTc would step it up and give us 4.2.2 it would close the gap in Software & Features, I love the Dash Clock app.

I use my Super Phones as an "iPod" so the Boom Sound is amazing and if MX Player app didn't correct the Lip Sync issues I had with the stock I would sell it the One. It's the reason why I sold the BlackBerry Z10.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Other issues on WP are a single volume setting, no editing forwarded emails, no blocking callers, no custom ringtones, no notification center (live tiles aren't very useful, even when they happen to work), and the app gap is a real issue.

Locked down and no apps. It's like MS decided to make a phone using the worst of iOS and BlackBerry.

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I too liked the 920 (initially) The camera was actually very good and the wireless charging was cool.. However as others have stated, the app gap was very noiticable. And compaired to my S4 that thing was HEAVY! I didn't have an issue with the live tiles, but what threw it for me? I had a HTC Titan with WP7. The media manager was MS Zune. And I had a ton of files. (music, video etc..)The Lumina with WP8 no longer supported Zune at all, so I had to start from scratch. Also, the customization was not there, and I had a major problem with Battery life. I just could not get the phone to last me through a day with my normal routine.
It's a nice concept and I give credit to MS for some of the things they've done. But I agree, it's not ready for prime-time IMO. (Not yet anyway)
I have an Iphone 5 for work (company supplied) but my personal daily driver is a S4.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Actually the YouTube and Facebook apps are developed by Microsoft, not Google and Facebook respectively. They aren't 1st party. I agree with your assessment on Metro. It looks great, but I don't find it very practical in the real world. There's too much wasted space, which is premium on a small device. There's also too much scrolling & tapping to find & do stuff.

This, as much as the app situation, does tend to annoy me at times. I find myself much slower using WP8 and the metro doesn't lend to a very efficient use of the smaller screen size at all. There's alot to like, but I can't see myself using it as my full time device in its current state. After having the Z10 I actually have an appreciation for BB10 and would probably give it a try again once development for it picks up.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My impression of WP8 is a little more positive than tgp's (I'm fine with the settings menu, never seen any stuttering when moving around on the Lumia, and do find Live Tiles work pretty well for me in place of an actual notification center) but the lack of flexibility and app selection does keep me coming back to Android for now.

In spite of the little test I did, I didn't have problems with stuttering either. What I did was unique, and not something you'd notice in real life. Even if you did notice it, it wasn't anything that would change the quality of your experience. The reason I did it was because everyone said WP is so fast & smooth compared to Android and even iOS. By that point I'd had a Nexus 4 for awhile, and I didn't experience any lag or stuttering. I wanted to prove that WP8 is no faster & smoother than a Nexus device running Jelly Bean. I didn't actually expect to prove the Nexus device was better!

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
This, as much as the app situation, does tend to annoy me at times. I find myself much slower using WP8 and the metro doesn't lend to a very efficient use of the smaller screen size at all. There's alot to like, but I can't see myself using it as my full time device in its current state.

This! I said almost exactly the same thing on another thread. It's my feelings exactly!

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
In spite of the little test I did, I didn't have problems with stuttering either. What I did was unique, and not something you'd notice in real life. Even if you did notice it, it wasn't anything that would change the quality of your experience. The reason I did it was because everyone said WP is so fast & smooth compared to Android and even iOS. By that point I'd had a Nexus 4 for awhile, and I didn't experience any lag or stuttering. I wanted to prove that WP8 is no faster & smoother than a Nexus device running Jelly Bean. I didn't actually expect to prove the Nexus device was better!

I had a nexus 4 running in parallel with my lumia 920 too (before I switched it out for my htc one), and to me they were essentially equivalent in terms of performance. I really didn't see any meaningful difference. I suspect what apps each user has installed and what shenanigans those apps are getting up to in the background could account for variances as to which phone seemed the best when observed closely. But, I agree with you that for all intents and purposes in day-to-day use they'd both feel fast and enjoyable to use.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a nexus 4 running in parallel with my lumia 920 too (before I switched it out for my htc one), and to me they were essentially equivalent in terms of performance. I really didn't see any meaningful difference. I suspect what apps each user has installed and what shenanigans those apps are getting up to in the background could account for variances as to which phone seemed the best when observed closely. But, I agree with you that for all intents and purposes in day-to-day use they'd both feel fast and enjoyable to use.

A couple months ago I used a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 920 all within a short time. A colleague asked me about this, and I told him that speed, smoothness, and stability are no longer any reason to choose one over the other. All 3 are equally fast, smooth, and stable.

Terb

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I am using a note 2 atm (great phone), also thinking about getting an S4 to test drive (My carrier is AT&T). Is everyone just moving the same sim card from phone to phone and that works?
Thanks!

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I am using a note 2 atm (great phone), also thinking about getting an S4 to test drive (My carrier is AT&T). Is everyone just moving the same sim card from phone to phone and that works?
Thanks!
That's what I did when I went from the 920 to my S4. I would assume that would hold true on the note 2 as well. But it would depend on the device. My son has the note 2 and he loves that thing.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The GS4 is my daily driver. I had a BB 9900 for work but my company recently required me to switch to the i5. I only use the i5 for business. I still like the performance, speed and features of my GS4 which is actually more thin than my i5, both of which are in an Otterbox Defender case.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

hahah123

May 19, 2013
Visit site
The GS4 is my daily driver. I had a BB 9900 for work but my company recently required me to switch to the i5. I only use the i5 for business. I still like the performance, speed and features of my GS4 which is actually more thin than my i5, both of which are in an Otterbox Defender case.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

hey i know this is out of the topic. but i have a urgent question. Does the otterbox defender for your s4 leave scratches on the screen?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I am toggling between the N-Gage and S4. Must admit that nothing can touch the fabulous look of taco calling on my Gage, so will probably return the S4 ;) OK, I do not have a S4 yet since will not buy unless a 32gb option to replace my S3.

Still, talk about how devices have advanced since then. Wow. I still have N-Gage as a token memory.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got the HTC one and was using the iPhone 5 I love this phone but miss the home button. Love the design.

You said you were using both. Which one you like better and why.

Posted via Android Central App

Hard to say which I like better. One minute it's the gs4, the other it's the One. You can't go wrong with either one. I may just have to flip a coin.

One: Design, UI, display, speakers/sound, Zoe/Highlights, Blinkfeed (I'm probably one of the few that love it)

GS4: Camera, build/ergonomics, screen size, features, Android 4.2.2, home button/button layout, prefer the power button and volume button placement over the One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995