what is the eye icon on the taskbar?

Kevin Tang

May 16, 2013
Visit site
on the top of the s4 there is a icon next to network signal strength that looks like a eye. I have no idea what it is and its driving me crazy!

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Smart Stay. Using the front camera to determine if you are looking at the screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Or smart rotation or smart scroll. Only if all these are shut off will it disappear from your status bar.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Android Central Forums

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Is it supposed to stay white like all the other icons in the taskbar? For the most part mine is grayed out but I notice it turning white on occasion. Does that mean anything?

Jessica Clark1

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I just saw this icon for the first time a few minutes ago. My smart rotation is always on and I am not currently using my camera, so why the hell would it just pop up and disappear like that?

Simon Kozamernik

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It is smart screen feature that can not be dissabeled through quick lounch. Go to settings /my device/smart screen and dissmiss the smart rotation feature! Cheers

Mydogeddie

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a difference between "Smart Rotation" which rotates the screen based on the orientation of your face and "Auto Rotate Screen" which orients the screen based on how you are holding the device (landscape vs. portrait). It is the "Smart Rotation" that gives you the little "eye" icon on the task bar.

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
And as to why the icon sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't (or perhaps is sometimes grayed out and sometimes white), I believe that relates to whether the current app is able to use this feature: if not, the icon disappears or is grayed out. I think. :)

jtye01

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The comment made me smile. The same can be said for nearly every app.
I personally haven't noticed much of a drain on my battery. It's only in use when you are actively using the phone, otherwise it's sleeping.

- - - Updated - - -

A battery killer

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Is it supposed to stay white like all the other icons in the taskbar? For the most part mine is grayed out but I notice it turning white on occasion. Does that mean anything?

When it is grey that means it's not looking at your eye through the camera, but when it flashes white that means it's using the camera to look at your eye. It will only flash white when it is near your screen timeout. For example, life your screen tike out is 30 seconds, when the display has been left on and untouched for 25ish seconds the eye will be greyed out and the camera is being unused, but after 25 sec the icon will turn white and detect if you u are still looking at the screen

Posted via Android Central App

Begadoc

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if I am talking about the same thing but when I am connected to the internet on my S4 I keep seeing a blue or green eye like icon which is similar but not quite the same as the one on the taskbar. It appears for a few seconds, sometimes switches colour the disappears.
How do I stop it?