05-22-2013 10:33 AM
85 1234
tools
    I hate buying on-line, can't wait for delivery.

This is what I think...

*It has become an even/ritual.
    *Some love the attention.
    *Impatient.
    *Greed, looking to profit from it.
    *Retailers & Media encourage it.

I walked it April 19th at Rogers Plus 10 AM and bought my hTc One. I pre-ordered my Samsung Galaxy S4 two weeks ahead or whenever Bell took orders. There was a delay of days so I had to wait until Monday. No line ups, took 20 minutes to complete transaction.
    You hate buying online cause you hate to wait...but .... you have to wait till it comes out at the store because it will always come out online first.....so what gives.??? ...... you buy online and pay for next day delivery ...I think it makes more sense ............
    05-18-2013 06:07 PM
    Because Apple only has one phone. One tablet, one computer. You can get 65 different android devices and most of them have the bulk of features you would expect regardless of the manufacturer.

The droid DNA has most of the features of the S4 and it's been out for 6 months. This is a stretched out S3.

Posted via Android Central App
    Notsosure likes this.
    05-18-2013 06:11 PM
    I was curious why. On the firsr launch day, I didn't see anybody lining up for this phone. And where is the media covering people going crazy over this device?
    When the HTC One went on sale at t mobile there were 8 people outside waiting for the store to open and then shortly after the store was packed.

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone
    05-18-2013 06:47 PM
    lol @ the conspiracy theories about Apple,you guys do a great job at being comedians xD
    Ry likes this.
    05-19-2013 12:26 AM
    It's Apple's strategy to generate buzz. They never deliver enough phones initially and keep customers coming back with their small weekly deliveries. Apple believes the small supply helps generate more demand.

It would be risky for Samsung to try the same approach because Samsung does not have their own stores (yet anyway). So if Samsung tried the same strategy, many people would just leave the store with the HTC One instead of coming back each shipping day and hoping to get the S4.

I definitely would have bought the HTC One if every store was sold out of the S4 and online orders of the S4 were back ordered (like Apple).
    Really? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read..
    05-19-2013 12:27 AM
    Because Apple only has one phone. One tablet, one computer. You can get 65 different android devices and most of them have the bulk of features you would expect regardless of the manufacturer.

The droid DNA has most of the features of the S4 and it's been out for 6 months. This is a stretched out S3.

Ha. Uhm. Apple has three phones, four media players three tablets, three notebooks, and an all in one. (Not including the variety of screen sizes/storage sizes each of those offer) Whatever point you were trying to make is undermined by your hyperbole.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-19-2013 02:32 AM
    It's Apple's strategy to generate buzz. They never deliver enough phones initially and keep customers coming back with their small weekly deliveries. Apple believes the small supply helps generate more demand.

It would be risky for Samsung to try the same approach because Samsung does not have their own stores (yet anyway). So if Samsung tried the same strategy, many people would just leave the store with the HTC One instead of coming back each shipping day and hoping to get the S4.

I definitely would have bought the HTC One if every store was sold out of the S4 and online orders of the S4 were back ordered (like Apple).
    Not quite. Apple is known for their supply chain management. They are more agile than pretty much any other company when it comes to getting the stock where demand is highest on very short notice. That's why they do the daily shipments. What I'm saying is also proven by the fact that apples largest stores take significantly longer to sell out of their stock on launch day, and get significantly higher quantities of devices when they're resupplied. (Also proven by the fact that smaller stores that sell out more quickly than anticipated get higher quantities if necessary when they're sent more)

05-19-2013 02:37 AM
    Really? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read..
    It's called scarcity.... A lot of companies do things of the sort.
    05-19-2013 03:25 AM
    It's called scarcity.... A lot of companies do things of the sort.
    But Apple doesn't.
    05-19-2013 04:11 AM
    Apple launches are also more structured. One date is announced for all carriers. You can then walk into any Apple store and have your latest iToy. Android manufacturers seemingly have far less control. Stock trickles in to carriers, the dates are different for each carrier, and there always seems to be more of a searching aspect to get your hands on an Android device.

05-19-2013 07:28 AM
    Apple launches are also more structured. One date is announced for all carriers. You can then walk into any Apple store and have your latest iToy. Android manufacturers seemingly have far less control. Stock trickles in to carriers, the dates are different for each carrier, and there always seems to be more of a searching aspect to get your hands on an Android device.

Yeah, even Samsung still doesn't have the influence that Apple has to demand a universal release on one day.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-19-2013 08:10 AM
    If you don't care for a thread, just move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, feel free to hit the report button.

By posting in a thread to complain about it, you're just adding to the problem.

Sent from my SGSIII
    jroc and jinhtcone like this.
    05-19-2013 10:24 AM
    But Apple doesn't.
    If you have actual proof of that, I'd love to see it.
    jroc likes this.
    05-19-2013 12:18 PM
    You hate buying online cause you hate to wait...but .... you have to wait till it comes out at the store because it will always come out online first.....so what gives.??? ...... you buy online and pay for next day delivery ...I think it makes more sense ............
    It may be different down there but up here Bell & Rogers are not very convenient.

My boy's brother ordered his hTc One on-line. He got a message saying it will be delivered on Tuesday, I got my One 4 days earlier on Friday (launch) and he had to make sure somebody was home to sign for it.

I work Continental Shifts and would've been working that day meaning, I would have to wait the next day since I'm off Wednesday/Thursday. Rogers doesn't offer next day delivery so it's not an option. Rogers Plus store is a 2 minute drive from my house.

It wasn't a phone but last time I ordered on-line I missed the delivery date and had to drive 20 minutes out of my way to pick it up!
    05-19-2013 12:58 PM

Samsung tried it, but they still (somewhat shockingly actually) don't have their ducks in a row when it comes to manufacturing.

05-19-2013 01:37 PM
    Samsung tried it, but they still (somewhat shockingly actually) don't have their ducks in a row when it comes to manufacturing.

OMG yes, what a colossal fail for Samsung to not "have their ducks in a row" and only be able to manufacture and deliver 10 million S4's in the first month. If they had their stuff together they might have moved 20 million units.
    maryjane2300 and jroc like this.
    05-19-2013 01:47 PM
    OMG yes, what a colossal fail for Samsung to not "have their ducks in a row" and only be able to manufacture and deliver 10 million S4's in the first month. If they had their stuff together they might have moved 20 million units.
    Its still annoying to see another carrier get the device first and its annoying that no dates are given. Give credit where it is due

Aquila likes this.
    05-19-2013 01:50 PM
    Its still annoying to see another carrier get the device first and its annoying that no dates are given. Give credit where it is due

I'm not a apple fan, but you sure are right on that.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-19-2013 02:03 PM
    No. More like, its annoying that Samsung and the carriers announce availability dates, and then because Samsung's manufacturing is not up to par they have to push them back. It happens every year for them. It isn't even about the speed at which they build them, its that Samsung rarely manages to actually get production going, and handsets out to carriers, on time.

Also, before you put in your inevitable jabs: HTC has similar issues. There are few companies other than apple that don't.
    05-19-2013 02:07 PM
    If you have actual proof of that, I'd love to see it.
    Wait. So you have proof that they do intentially limit supply? You asking form proof means nothing if you're not going to back up your assumption with proof anyway.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Aquila likes this.
    05-19-2013 04:31 PM
    Wait. So you have proof that they do intentially limit supply? You asking form proof means nothing if you're not going to back up your assumption with proof anyway.

Exactly.....So its a moot point, cancels each other out. Its just an assumption that since some, maybe many companies do it.....why cant Apple? Why is Apple always above doing what other companies do? Because its Apple? No one really knew about poor AT&T online service for ordering phones until Verizon got the iPhone.

Cant find the article about poor AT&T ordering service.....but look at it logically: the iPhone broke launch, sale records on Verizon, Sprint, T Mo......was there many lines for those carriers compared to when the iPhone was exclusive to AT&T?

I have said many times....for some reason Apple is put on such a high pedestal by some ppl. They are just like any company for the most part.
    osubeavs728 likes this.
    05-19-2013 05:28 PM

I never claimed that apple does it or didn't do it. I simply pointed out that there is a marketing model based on scarcity. And that companies have been know to do it, which is why the model exists.
    jroc likes this.
    05-19-2013 06:00 PM
    Apple has the iPhone and iPad....they only have one model of each. as far as the notebooks, sorry, just didn't see a difference when I was in the Apple store.
    05-19-2013 09:47 PM
    Apple has the iPhone and iPad....they only have one model of each. as far as the notebooks, sorry, just didn't see a difference when I was in the Apple store.
    Pure ignorance. There are three separate models of iPad and three separate models of iPhone, not including the different storage or cellular options.

05-19-2013 09:53 PM
    No difference between Mac books? I don't know what to say to you then.

Ry and neonworm like this.
    05-19-2013 10:31 PM
85 1234