05-22-2013 10:33 AM
85 123 ...
tools
    I was curious why. On the firsr launch day, I didn't see anybody lining up for this phone. And where is the media covering people going crazy over this device?
    05-17-2013 04:56 PM
    It's easier to buy online
    05-17-2013 04:58 PM
    It's easier to buy online
    +1

What was the last count....like 4 million .... OMG!
    Now that's a long line.
    05-17-2013 05:10 PM
    I was curious why. On the firsr launch day, I didn't see anybody lining up for this phone. And where is the media covering people going crazy over this device?
    That is an iphone thing. Most Andriod user will do a preorder, and have their phones delivered to them.
    Hush Martin likes this.
    05-17-2013 05:11 PM
    I preordered online. I don't buy anything from a brick mortar store except food.
    Hush Martin likes this.
    05-17-2013 05:16 PM
    Because it's a boring update.
    Because there is no central place like an Apple store that you know will have them in stock.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Most will get it at a carrier store.
    Apple sells plenty online too.
    That is an iphone thing. Most Andriod user will do a preorder, and have their phones delivered to them.
    05-17-2013 05:25 PM
    Because it's a boring update.
    Sigh... do you really feel a need to do this? Please stop.

Because there is no central place like an Apple store that you know will have them in stock.
    Carrier store. And FYI Apple store won't always have everything in stock.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    smooth4lyfe and Golfdriver97 like this.
    05-17-2013 05:29 PM
    Let's keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    sropedia likes this.
    05-17-2013 05:30 PM
    It is all part of Apple's launch strategy to have the lines. After all lines attract the press. They probably only have the phone available at their stores the first few days. This way all the early adopters have only a few places to get the newest iPhone. Thus the lines.

My two cents.
    05-17-2013 06:46 PM
    Because more and more people reorder now. When the iPhone first came out there were not preorders until the 3gs and even it was limited. So that made for longer lines. But the last couple years the lineups havent been as dramatic yet sales exceed the previous years. Why? Because people reorder directly from apple and carriers which wasn't as available before. Same thing with Samsung. Preorders saves the carriers a lot of trouble on release days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-17-2013 07:09 PM
    It's Apple's strategy to generate buzz. They never deliver enough phones initially and keep customers coming back with their small weekly deliveries. Apple believes the small supply helps generate more demand.

It would be risky for Samsung to try the same approach because Samsung does not have their own stores (yet anyway). So if Samsung tried the same strategy, many people would just leave the store with the HTC One instead of coming back each shipping day and hoping to get the S4.

I definitely would have bought the HTC One if every store was sold out of the S4 and online orders of the S4 were back ordered (like Apple).
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-17-2013 08:05 PM
    Thankfully Apple fans still line up for the next iPhone. And Samsung had GREAT S3 ads making fun of them. They are still hilarious to watch.

05-17-2013 08:48 PM
    I hate buying on-line, can't wait for delivery.

This is what I think...

*It has become an even/ritual.
    *Some love the attention.
    *Impatient.
    *Greed, looking to profit from it.
    *Retailers & Media encourage it.

I walked it April 19th at Rogers Plus 10 AM and bought my hTc One. I pre-ordered my Samsung Galaxy S4 two weeks ahead or whenever Bell took orders. There was a delay of days so I had to wait until Monday. No line ups, took 20 minutes to complete transaction.
    05-17-2013 09:40 PM
    Because demand for the S4 isn't as high as the iPhone. Pretty simple.
    05-18-2013 01:47 AM
    Because demand for the S4 isn't as high as the iPhone. Pretty simple.
    [inappropriate content deleted by moderator]

Proof: Samsung: Galaxy S4 Sales to Pass 10 Million - IGN
    05-18-2013 05:13 AM
    Because iCreeps want to be seen and they want everyone to know they got a new iPhone and they were first. The rest of us just want a new phone and we don't care if we get it 10 minutes later than someone else or that we didn't have to camp out on a walkway with a bunch of other freaks.

BTW, I'm not saying everyone with an iPhone is an iCreep. Just those that make a point of making sure everyone knows they have an iPhone. There are a lot of them here in Seattle, and I want to slap them!
    05-18-2013 05:23 AM
    Keep the discussion civil. This is the second time that I've had to say this in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    honeyme likes this.
    05-18-2013 05:44 AM
    Primarily because there are multiple Android flagship launches per year, while there is only one iPhone launch annually. Since the last iPhone launch, how many Android-based flagship phones have come out?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    05-18-2013 06:29 AM
    The rest of us just want a new phone and we don't care if we get it 10 minutes later than someone else
    Ha ha I had to chuckle when I read this. Remember the Nexus 4 launch, when people were posting in the forums what minute their order went through? Then if someone else ordered 10 minutes later and got shipping confirmation earlier the person said they were never going to touch a Google product again because Google doesn't play fair! Remember all the complaints if a new firmware or major app update comes through for someone else 10 minutes earlier? That's not specific to Apple users!
    stephenhau and madlaw1071 like this.
    05-18-2013 07:13 AM
    Apple also does a good job of making it fun to wait in line for big events: they have employees walking around with snacks and drinks and they talk to people in line, and you get to hang out with fellow gadget enthusiasts for a couple hours and chat. I waited in lines for the 3GS (back before I went exclusively with Android) and also the 2nd generation iPad. People know most Apple stores will treat them well as they wait in line, so they're more likely to pick that option.

Unfortunately the various carriers' stores are much less predictable in how'll they'll treat people waiting in line, and the stores themselves are usually much smaller than Apple stores so can't handle as many people at once when the lines do start moving.

These days it is definitely easier and often even quicker to get your phone online rather than standing in a physical line, but I do kind of miss the camaraderie and fun of doing that. In the end having long lines probably does indicate a product will sell well, but the reverse is NOT true: The lack of lines is not a good indicator of how popular a product will be.
    05-18-2013 08:56 AM
    Because it's a boring.
    Makes sense lol, but what about the Galaxy S3? It was a significant upgrade to the S2.

Samsung spent $4billion on marketing, Apple only $1billion...
    05-18-2013 10:46 AM
    Makes sense lol, but what about the Galaxy S3? It was a significant upgrade to the S2.

Samsung spent $4billion on marketing, Apple only $1billion...
    Amazing right? People think that Apple is all marketing, yet Samsung spends way more to get some mind share.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    honeyme likes this.
    05-18-2013 12:24 PM
    Keep the discussion civil. I'm not asking again. Thread cleaned up.

Sent from my SGSIII
    honeyme likes this.
    05-18-2013 12:56 PM
    Amazing right? People think that Apple is all marketing, yet Samsung spends way more to get some mind share.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Yea this chart is mind boggling lol...
    jrb363 and honeyme like this.
    05-18-2013 04:47 PM
    Alot of ppl basically already answered it. Also, what isnt known to most ppl is that AT&T had a poor online, pre order, phone order system for so many years. The launch of the Verizon iPhone had low lines....because they handled the online, phone orders waaaay better. Now, was that by design by AT&T and Apple, or poor AT&T service? Who knows.....but its always more to the story when it comes to Apple, the iPhone.
    05-18-2013 05:51 PM
85 123 ...