06-04-2014 04:46 AM
110 1234 ...
tools
    Apparently "Maps" shows on your battery drain % log whenever your phone queues your GPS. So when your weather widget is looking for location, if you search for let's say "Best Buy" and your Google Now is set up to give you directions to places you just searched, etc.

If you clear your map cache, it will won't do much for helping get "Maps" off your battery drain. It'll clear the preloaded map tiles that it saves to load quicker and that's about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Thanks! I had a feeling this was the case, but wouldn't it also clear any saved locations that it would later have to look for again, consequently taking more battery?
    Statusnone likes this.
    05-19-2013 08:49 PM
    Thanks! I had a feeling this was the case, but wouldn't it also clear any saved locations that it would later have to look for again, consequently taking more battery?
    Didn't think of it that way, so more than likely you are right my friend. I'm not to keen on this stuff though so I'm not 100% sure.

05-19-2013 09:26 PM
    Didn't think of it that way, so more than likely you are right my friend. I'm not to keen on this stuff though so I'm not 100% sure.

Same here, it's just an assumption. I'm but an average phone user who likes to know the ins an outs of my device...I'm definitely not XDA or anything
    Statusnone likes this.
    05-19-2013 09:34 PM
    When I look at what's using the battery, it appears that Amazon's MP3 Player is using 40% of my CPU...but I don't have it running, and I can't see in the settings how I can get it to release memory...any ideas?
    05-21-2013 02:41 PM
    Here's my battery uses with all the air features off and moderate to heavy use. I think I'm doing well. Took it off the charger at 5:30am and about 9:00pm is when I had to charge.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s4 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1369358867463.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1369358881588.jpg  
    05-23-2013 08:29 PM
    Hi this is my first Android smartphone and looking for a little help regarding battery life also. I see a lot of you getting 12+ hours of battery life and I'm not getting anywhere near that. Im not sure how to get a screen shot in this reply box (typing from my ipad haha please dont judge me) but the battery data said 8 1/2 hours of use with 15% power left. I used my phone a decent amount today setting some stuff up. Mostly 4G and had all those gesture features off. My biggest battery percentage can from a line item called "Android Systems" (65%). Looking at others screen shots and their percentage for that item isn't anywhere near there.

Does anyone know what I'm doing to get such a high Android Systems percentage? And is this the reason I'm getting less battery life then others?

Thanks!
    05-24-2013 01:00 AM
    Dropping one percent for every 5 minutes of usage is pretty good. Stop worryin about battery usage and enjoy your new phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums
    Thats bad battery life. The phone should he able to sit for days with out touching it while connected to a network.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums
    j510 likes this.
    05-24-2013 08:22 PM
    Wakelocks prevent the phonr from going into "deep sleep". I can go 8 hours not touching my phone and get 3 or 4% decrease when I return
    05-24-2013 08:31 PM
    I have most all features on, power save off, auto bright, and I can still easily get around 1d of usage with pretty good amount of usage. Do you drain your battery below 3% ever?
    06-09-2013 11:20 PM
    Someone told me to check out BatteryGuru, can't really tell if it actually helps or if it's snake oil.

Anyway, if you want to check it out, you can get it from here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...snapdragon.app

It's made by one of Qualcomm's companies, but that doesn't mean much....
    06-10-2013 01:45 AM
    I've got it installed on my note 2 (a modded version to work with Exynos). Last night I managed 7 hours of screen on time for the first time.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-10-2013 03:12 AM
    I've had my S4 now for about a week - great unit.

I've noticed what i consider higher than average battery drain, too. It seems that location based services are consuming a fair amount of battery.

For the first few days, (before I had things enabled, such as google now), major battery usage was coming up under "Google Services" (google now, latitude, perhaps?). For the last couple days, 'Maps' has been the primary battery drain. Now I haven't specifically started maps, and I've forced close it a few times, but I think that google now may be restarting the app, with it's "time to home" estimates.

From a full charge at 9am in the morning, using the display for about 1h23m according to battery usage, i'm now down to 67% after 9 hours. 27% used by screen, 63% used by maps. Not sure how to grab a screen shot, but in the maps usage, it shows "cpu total - 29s, stay awake, 2m8s, data sent, 15.16k, data received, 13.62k"

I may try to disable location based services to see if that reduces the drain.

Update - June 13, 2013, 12.45pm
    Starting with 100% charged phone at 9.30am, disabled location services and have been on battery since. After 4.5 hours of basically standby usage, battery is at 93%. Still, the biggest battery consumer is "Maps" at 89%. Usage details for maps is blank, so not quite sure what that means. Screen is second, with 5% and 8m40s of on time. Brightness is set to auto, most other features are off (wifi: off, lte: on, smartstay:on, all other S4 "smart" features: off)

Update: June 13, 2013 - 10.00pm
    Even with location services turned off, as of 10pm, (13 hours unplugged) i was down to 47% battery and again, "maps" was the biggest battery consumer. I've disabled google now completely and phone is charging. I'll see how it makes out tomorrow.

Update: June 14, 12.01pm
    Another update. Battery life seems to be better now, after turning off google now. In 2hours40m since being unplugged, it's used 5% battery, and the largest battery user is the screen at 40%, with 7 minutes of on time. The second user is Device Idle at 25%, with "time on" of 2h35m (basically since unplugged. Will update later today.
    06-12-2013 03:57 PM
    This phone is capable of great battery life with the right settings and a good network connection.

It can achieve 6-7 hours screen on time (most I've seen). A lot of people get between 4-5 hours of screen-on time, which is good but not great. Anything under 4 hours of screen on time and there's probably something going on to drain battery in the background.
    06-12-2013 04:18 PM
    I have had my Samsung Galaxy S4 for 3 weeks now and I am having a horrible time with battery drain also. I went in to all my settings and disabled anything that may be draining the battery, stopped any apps that were automatically running (although honestly, since I spent $629 for a smart phone, I shouldn't have to stop the apps and widgets that automatically came with the phone and auto start every day considering they are one of the main reasons for having this phone in the first place) and I am still draining at an extremely high rate. I see some people are saying they can unplug their phones at 5:30 am and not have to recharge until 9pm, mine is no where to close to that. Standing idle, without me using it all other than to check the battery life, I was down to 50% battery within 3 hours. I played a game of Candy Crush and browsed Facebook for a total of 18 minutes, my battery life dropped to 28%. Is this normal?
    I contacted my carrier who said this is an isolated incident (apparently not) and they sent me a new battery and I am still having the same issue.
    I honestly think it's the device itself when I look at everyone else's screen shots on here because mine is so much different. I have Media Server 2%, Android System 3%, Maps 3%, Android OS 3%, Candy Crush Saga 4%, Voice Calls 4% and Screen 80%! I have the brightness down so low I can barely see it so this doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to enjoy my phone and all its features without having to go through all this every day.
    06-14-2013 11:07 AM
    I have had my Samsung Galaxy S4 for 3 weeks now and I am having a horrible time with battery drain also. I went in to all my settings and disabled anything that may be draining the battery, stopped any apps that were automatically running (although honestly, since I spent $629 for a smart phone, I shouldn't have to stop the apps and widgets that automatically came with the phone and auto start every day considering they are one of the main reasons for having this phone in the first place) and I am still draining at an extremely high rate. I see some people are saying they can unplug their phones at 5:30 am and not have to recharge until 9pm, mine is no where to close to that. Standing idle, without me using it all other than to check the battery life, I was down to 50% battery within 3 hours. I played a game of Candy Crush and browsed Facebook for a total of 18 minutes, my battery life dropped to 28%. Is this normal?
    I contacted my carrier who said this is an isolated incident (apparently not) and they sent me a new battery and I am still having the same issue.
    I honestly think it's the device itself when I look at everyone else's screen shots on here because mine is so much different. I have Media Server 2%, Android System 3%, Maps 3%, Android OS 3%, Candy Crush Saga 4%, Voice Calls 4% and Screen 80%! I have the brightness down so low I can barely see it so this doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to enjoy my phone and all its features without having to go through all this every day.
    I would have them give u a new device and see if that fixes the problem. I hear ppl talk about battery issues but that's bad. Try a factory reset and if it doesn't work than try to warranty the device it might be bad.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.
    06-14-2013 12:01 PM
    Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me with this, rather than me start a new thread.

My last Android phone was a HTC Desire HD, and I couldn't see half a day until it died unless I turned Mobile Data (3G) off. Anyway, I am being super sensitive with my new Samsung GS4 and have noticed that my battery is being eaten by "mediaserver". I am to understand that this is to do with an SD Card, but I do not have an SD card in. I'm wondering if my GS4 is perhaps searching constantly for an SD Card, and that is draining the battery? If so, is there a way to turn it off? Here's some screenshots of my battery info:

I would also ask if this battery life is normal but some of you are posting over a day of battery with huge amounts of usage... Hopefully I will get there some day!
    06-15-2013 08:44 AM
    radiocaf - i've not seen media server using any noticeable amount of battery on mine.

As of right now, my phone's been on battery for 15h12m, and my battery is at 67%. That's not bad, but i'd hoped for better. Major users are screen & device idle with 32% and 26% respectively. My battery was getting annihilated when I had google+ enabled, and possibly location services. If you have those on, try disabling them, and see if you get better usage. Agreed, one would think we'd be able to leave these services on, and that'll eventually be the case, but if we're troubleshooting, i think we're going to have to accept playing with some of the settings and then giving feedback on our experiences.

dfogel - i'd suggest you do the same. On my older galaxy nexus, when using gps nav, it was fairly heavy on battery. I wonder location services is activating the gps radio on the s4/android 4.2.2, and causing the drain. Try disabling those services and see how you make out.
    06-15-2013 10:45 PM
    So over the last few days, i've left anything gps/location related as disabled. My battery drain still seems higher than it should be, but it's useable. I would think with a larger battery I should still have 70ish percent left at the end of the day (9am->10pm) if i'm not actively using the phone. However after about 13 hours of standby, i'm often down to 50% battery left. This, I think, is worse battery life than my galaxy nexus. Sure, this is a faster phone, but i didnt' think i'd be going down in battery life.
    06-19-2013 02:43 PM
    Wow. I thought I had average battery life but I'm getting down to 30% after 10 hours and 2 hour screen time....

Posted via Android Central App
    06-19-2013 04:11 PM
    I took my S4 off the charger at 6:30 this morning and I'm at 68% life left. I have an hour of on screen time. Pretty average I would suppose.
    06-19-2013 05:34 PM
    Thanks for the tips Dwight Spencer.

The best battery life I got was yesterday, my phone managed not far over 1 day, 13 hours and 10 minutes before dying. This was with a screen on time of 2 hours and 43 minutes. The main drain was "device idle" at 14%, other than the screen (which took 52%) which was the main drain. My settings, in case anyone is interested are Air View, Smart Scroll, Bluetooth and GPS off. Everything else (Wi-Fi, Smart Screen, Air Gesture, etc) was on and not switched off at all. My screen was set for auto brightness for the most of that time too, but now I have it manually set to just over half brightness.

The mediaserver process I found to be eating a sizable chunk of my battery has now stopped, but I don't know how or why it was stopped, it just happened. It tends to take a lot of battery for around 3 minutes after you boot up the phone, and then it doesn't seem to operate at all. I did disable Google Play Music though, but this was a couple of days before I noticed mediaserver no longer eating at my battery, CPU Spy told me that a lot of the processes of mediaserver are "audioout" and "audioin" so maybe this is how the phone outputs and inputs sound?. Maps was a bad one too, even with GPS off, it would still use a lot of battery, I had to physically open Maps and turn off the setting that kept your location up to date constantly (its near the top in the settings menu in Maps.) Now it doesn't show on my battery information screen.

Right now, my battery is at 46%, with an uptime of 19 hours 48 minutes, and my screen has been on for 1 hour 15 minutes. So I guess it's all down to how much you use your phone. I know my habits have changed, I'm not so much a power user any more, as I try to consciously conserve battery life, unlike when I had my iPhone 4. I'll still use it for all that I want, but for not as long as I used to with my iPhone. I use MightyText to SMS (of which I do A LOT) to save screen on time when I am able to be on the laptop, and my facebook/internet/etc scrolling is as minimal as possible. It's a shame, the phone is possibly the best I've ever had (and I've had a lot), but I fear using it in case my battery ends up limping or dying by the time I get home and charge it again.
    06-19-2013 09:13 PM
    thanks Radiocaf, good feedback.

Got about a 23 hour run with a charge, with 10% left on the battery, very little on screen time. Google Services is back as the primary battery user. I'll give your suggestion about disabling the maps/location/latitude a try, to see if that reduces usage. I think I did re-enable location services, which may be why google services came back. I had also logged out of google now, which i'm starting to miss.

here's a few screen shots of my battery usage. I wonder, should we pushing this information back to samsung or google somehow?

oops, excuse the overlay of the volume control!
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-06-21-09-00-31.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-06-21-09-00-41.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-06-21-09-36-08.jpg  
    06-21-2013 08:52 AM
    Question how did u get ur android os that low to 16% mine is at 35% cant figure out how to get it lower
    06-22-2013 10:04 AM
    Question how did u get ur android os that low to 16% mine is at 35% cant figure out how to get it lower
    hi vin ..

the percent usage is going to be affected by other processes that are using your battery. Others would be at 16% if they were running other services that were consuming more battery. Yours at 35% just would mean that you weren't doing much else.

radiocaf - I've found that 'device idle' can sometimes increase usage if the phone is switching data modes - lte/4g/3g, etc. When your phone is sitting at home, idle, do you have it connected to wifi, or stay on the mobile data network? Does it have good signal strength? Where I am, if my phone is at the back of my house (opposite large windows & the nearest tower), it can sometimes use a bit more power. When I leave wifi on at home, it uses less.

I turned off locations services, including "maps / location updating" that someone else mentioned in another post. My phone right now 24% left, after about 24 hours of on time. Google Services is -still- the highest user, and i still don't know what the cause is. A friend suggested i try a factory reset of the phone, and while I hate to do that - spent the last couple weeks getting it configured as i want, I may give it a try. google+ is still set to sync up, so i might try disabling that, i suppose.

here's a couple more screen captures:
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-06-22-21-13-45.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-06-22-21-14-50.jpg   Galaxy s4 battery life-screenshot_2013-06-22-21-14-58.jpg  
    06-22-2013 07:53 PM
    Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me with this, rather than me start a new thread.

My last Android phone was a HTC Desire HD, and I couldn't see half a day until it died unless I turned Mobile Data (3G) off. Anyway, I am being super sensitive with my new Samsung GS4 and have noticed that my battery is being eaten by "mediaserver". I am to understand that this is to do with an SD Card, but I do not have an SD card in. I'm wondering if my GS4 is perhaps searching constantly for an SD Card, and that is draining the battery? If so, is there a way to turn it off? Here's some screenshots of my battery info:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4416/hdhg.jpg http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4227/kcl7.jpg http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4642/r5k2.jpg

I would also ask if this battery life is normal but some of you are posting over a day of battery with huge amounts of usage... Hopefully I will get there some day!
    I would get rid of Power saving .....NFC........and SYNC.........
    06-22-2013 09:51 PM
110 1234 ...