Galaxy s4 battery life

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes any widget or anything your phone does uses up power.. But I personally believe you should use and enjoy your phone because that's why we get them.. For the functionality (or most of us). You can always charge it back up :).

Good point, but I will amend it to say we bought the phone for an overall experience, not just a specific functionality. Therefore there is a balance to enjoying the gadgetty goodness, functionality *and* time/hassle of charging and spare batteries. Some functionality is worth it, some less so.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There are people who understand this whole smartphone thing! I knew you had to exist, thank you for showing yourself ... :D
The market demands these devices become more and more powerful (which they have), yet people run in horror because they have to plug these "mini" computers in to charge the equally mini battery every now and then.

Lol :). Yeah charging doesn't bother me. I just ensure I charge if I'll be away from one for awhile and gg :D.

Good song btw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_qDLxL_cLs&sns=em

:cool:

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing with my phone A LOT because I just got it on Sunday, but I have tweaked a few of the settings (auto brightness, GPS off except when needed, WiFi off when I'm driving/not near WiFi, clear cache and end tasks regularly, etc.) and I really have no problem with the battery. With my normal use, it easily lasts me a day. I had to charge it once yesterday because I did a lot on it.

Android phones are powerful machines, and one of the "cons" is the battery drain. But the features and customization makes it worth it IMO.

Sea2013

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am having bad battery experience with my phone. I just got my Galaxy S4 a week ago. it is the Lte - 4 core version.
Unblievable #1: After turning off most of the functions, only having wifi, sync on overnight, i could lose 40 to 50% of my battery (in about 9 hours).
Unblievable #2: If I plug S4 to my laptop for charging during the day, the charging is EXTREME slow... it could take me hours to charge up 30% of the battery.
Apart from screening (46%), it is the Android Operating System (17% - but sometimes espcially in the morning, it could go up to 30ish %). Anyone knows what went wrong with my phone?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am having bad battery experience with my phone. I just got my Galaxy S4 a week ago. it is the Lte - 4 core version.
Unblievable #1: After turning off most of the functions, only having wifi, sync on overnight, i could lose 40 to 50% of my battery (in about 9 hours).
Unblievable #2: If I plug S4 to my laptop for charging during the day, the charging is EXTREME slow... it could take me hours to charge up 30% of the battery.
Apart from screening (46%), it is the Android Operating System (17% - but sometimes espcially in the morning, it could go up to 30ish %). Anyone knows what went wrong with my phone?
It sounds like nothing is wrong. You just have to find out what's eating your battery. If you have the Location history and/or sharing on that could be the culprit. With that stuff on I'm finding my phone checks my location more than once a minute on average.

As always, downloading apps that give you a more accurate assessment of what's using your battery is the first step in diagnosing what the problem is. I use GSam Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector.

For number 2 it depends on what you're doing when you have it plugged into the USB port. If you're using your phone at all it might not even charge it, just discharge it slower. When connected to a PC it will only draw ~500mA. The big display will likely take a large chunk of that if it's on. The charger that comes with the phone is a 2A charger, so it will charge your phone much faster.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you got something stuck running 24/7 in the background and not letting you CPU go into 'sleep' mode. That will suck the battery and also made it longer to charge due to running while charging. You could try pulling the battery and putting it back in. Or use a wakelock program to figure out whats running all the time.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey
i guys. .I got the galaxy s4 us variant and my battery is going st 1 percent for every 3 min!!! Plz help!!!
Is it going down that fast with the screen on or off? If its' with the screen on then you're getting pretty good battery life (5 hours of screen time). If it's with it off then you'll need to figure out what's using the battery.

Ali Nagm

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. This This is my first Android phone and am loving it except for the battery drain I was getting in the first few days of use. Glad I came across this thread. I have gone from 10 to now 20 odd hours of battery duration after applying all your advice.
Only thing that baffles me is how the "screen" use age is being shown as 60% when in reality it's more like 30% (5hrs of 15 to 20).
Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-10-13-00-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-10-13-00-05.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2013-08-10-13-03-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-10-13-03-39.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 39

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Battery capacity is measured in amp hours so the amount of time it's on is only half the story. The other half is how much current it draws when it is on. The screen draws lots of current compared to other phone functions so its battery draw will be proportionally large.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Ali Nagm

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Battery capacity is measured in amp hours so the amount of time it's on is only half the story. The other half is how much current it draws when it is on. The screen draws lots of current compared to other phone functions so its battery draw will be proportionally large.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for your prompt reply and feedback.
. Any further tips?

Mohd Mahmood1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,If your really having a problem with the google services its simple t solve.Login to all the accounts like hangout ,google+ etc.and logout from those account and check it now................ you will be happy by seeing the usage

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your prompt reply and feedback.
. Any further tips?
There's a sticky on here somewhere with a lot of tips. I'm not sure I agree with all of them (I don't think WiFi takes up much battery) but it's a good start.

There's also this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...omation-apps-save-battery-one-works-best.html

That has some tips for improving battery life. Most of it revolves around using Llama to limit how often your phone auto syncs and turning off location based functions.

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There's a sticky on here somewhere with a lot of tips. I'm not sure I agree with all of them (I don't think WiFi takes up much battery) but it's a good start.

There's also this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...omation-apps-save-battery-one-works-best.html

That has some tips for improving battery life. Most of it revolves around using Llama to limit how often your phone auto syncs and turning off location based functions.

Thanks llama looks very useful.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Russ in Houston

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes any widget or anything your phone does uses up power.. But I personally believe you should use and enjoy your phone because that's why we get them.. For the functionality (or most of us). You can always charge it back up :).

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

I'm coming from an LG Nitro HD which has atrocious battery life, so the S4 really impresses me. That said, I just bought a desk dock since I sit at a desk most of the day for my job. Therefore, my battery life is great! ;)

I did go to a concert last night and took many pictures and videos, and posted several times to FB. I was away from the battery for ~7 hours and the phone still had ~80% battery left when I shut it off last night. I don't currently use any power management, though I did DL the Snapdragon-specific app (Battery Guru?) and will try it. I do like to have a backup plan for when I'm away from the charger for a long period. I still may buy the spare battery/charger for those times.

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wondered if you could help me with my wife's S4 battery life issues. Attached are some screenshots but needless to say, it's terrible. Down to 17% after 8.5 hrs, 2 hrs of screen time, Google Now and Maps Location Services DE-activated, and most of the fancy Samsung gesture stuff off. She's at home on WiFi all day, no LTE usage. I've installed Wakelock Detector to see what's waking up the phone and it still looks like Maps is doing quite a lot of Wakelocks (but location services are off?). I really am stumped on this one! Any ideas out there?

Screenshot_2013-08-16-18-18-33.jpgScreenshot_2013-08-16-18-18-50.jpgScreenshot_2013-08-16-18-18-42.jpg

Ali Nagm

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wondered if you could help me with my wife's S4 battery life issues. Attached are some screenshots but needless to say, it's terrible. Down to 17% after 8.5 hrs, 2 hrs of screen time, Google Now and Maps Location Services DE-activated, and most of the fancy Samsung gesture stuff off. She's at home on WiFi all day, no LTE usage. I've installed Wakelock Detector to see what's waking up the phone and it still looks like Maps is doing quite a lot of Wakelocks (but location services are off?). I really am stumped

Hi Derek. Try disabling the Access location option from the Google Location Settings in the Google Maps settings.

Let us know how you go

lupusanimus

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Your screen brightness is very high if it's using 77% of your battery! Try putting it on auto and using power saving mode. Also Location Services on Maps is causing a battery drain, so I would disable Maps or clear the cache, and then disable Location Services and GPS.

torndownunit

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There are people who understand this whole smartphone thing! I knew you had to exist, thank you for showing yourself ... :D
The market demands these devices become more and more powerful (which they have), yet people run in horror because they have to plug these "mini" computers in to charge the equally mini battery every now and then.

I expect a phone like this to use more power than my previous phone. I am realistic in that regard. What I find discouraging is a new user though is simply how much juice the phone seems to use when not in use. I have done every tweak on here and it seems to have helped. But the phone just seems to use way too much battery when it's just sitting idle.

One more update, disabling Google Now seems to have helped some in my case.