Micro SD unmounted itself

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone setup where all pics that I take are stored on my micro sd card. Earlier today, I took around 5-6 pictures and sent them via text back to back (was trying to help wifey find the right product)

A few minutes later, my phone got really sluggish and soon right after, I get a message stating that my micro sd card was unmounted. Then it mounted itself back. Any idea as to why?

I then went into settings, unmounted, got the confirmation that it unmounted successfully and I opened up the back, took the card out and inserted it back a few seconds later.

Haven't had problems since, but just curious if this happens frequently. FYI - I'm a new droid user migrating from an iPhone 4. Thx!

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have my phone setup where all pics that I take are stored on my micro sd card. Earlier today, I took around 5-6 pictures and sent them via text back to back (was trying to help wifey find the right product)

A few minutes later, my phone got really sluggish and soon right after, I get a message stating that my micro sd card was unmounted. Then it mounted itself back. Any idea as to why?

I then went into settings, unmounted, got the confirmation that it unmounted successfully and I opened up the back, took the card out and inserted it back a few seconds later.

Haven't had problems since, but just curious if this happens frequently. FYI - I'm a new droid user migrating from an iPhone 4. Thx!

This really shouldn't be happening. What brand of SD card did you get? Sandisk has a current recall going for theirs. If this is what you have, you should contact them right away. If not, move all your files off the SD card, reformat it, and replace the files. See if that helps.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
This really shouldn't be happening. What brand of SD card did you get? Sandisk has a current recall going for theirs. If this is what you have, you should contact them right away. If not, move all your files off the SD card, reformat it, and replace the files. See if that helps.

I purchased a PNY 32gb. I'll reformat it. Could it be a problem with the phone too?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a PNY 32gb. I'll reformat it. Could it be a problem with the phone too?

Possible. Try the reformat first. If you are still having problems, call Samsung ASAP. You may also want to inform AT&T, as it may be a bug in the build for that carrier.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I would bet like golfdriver said that it is the card to be reformated after you remove the media like he said and then make sure you replace the card first before you replace the media so the phone can scan the card, then you can put the media back on. I doubt it is the phone. :)

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I would bet like golfdriver said that it is the card to be reformated after you remove the media like he said and then make sure you replace the card first before you replace the media so the phone can scan the card, then you can put the media back on. I doubt it is the phone. :)

Thx for the input!!!

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Thx for the input!!!

You are very welcome, Anytime as that what I am here for. Very important like I said to put the reformated card back in the phone for the phone to scan and read it BEFORE you reload your media. Then it is properly mounted.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
You are very welcome, Anytime as that what I am here for. Very important like I said to put the reformated card back in the phone for the phone to scan and read it BEFORE you reload your media. Then it is properly mounted.

Should I format the card directly from the phone (under settings) or through my computer?

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site

It hasn't done it since and is working fine now. It only happened once. Should I still format the card?

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
It hasn't done it since and is working fine now. It only happened once. Should I still format the card?

No I would leave it alone if it only did it once but if it does repeat itself then format on your computer, then reinstall in phone for remounting, scanning and the re add your media. i don't think you will have any further issues. Good luck.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
No I would leave it alone if it only did it once but if it does repeat itself then format on your computer, then reinstall in phone for remounting, scanning and the re add your media. i don't think you will have any further issues. Good luck.

Thanks!!! Appreciate the feedback :)

marly87

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Samsung today (06-02-13) and they had me try this:

1) Remove the SD card and reinsert the card
2) Perform a soft reset by turning off the handset
3) Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds
4) Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device

I have a GS4, with a SanDisk 32gb card. Mine would unmount/mount whenever I played music or do any type of file management. So far, it hasn't done it. If it does, I'll try this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34