I'm new to android, coming from an iP5. I love android but I really want to know what stock Android would be like on this phone. Is it possible to do that with rooting or after the google edition comes out? I understand there is no recovery roms yet. But i really want a clean stock Android to start with instead of touch wiz and att bloatware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-19-2013 12:08 AM
    I'm new to android, coming from an iP5. I love android but I really want to know what stock Android would be like on this phone. Is it possible to do that with rooting or after the google edition comes out? I understand there is no recovery roms yet. But i really want a clean stock Android to start with instead of touch wiz and att bloatware.

Should have bought a Nexus 4 then.
    05-19-2013 12:19 AM

The Google Edition of the S4 would be very close to stock android. Rooting and putting a ROM on the S4 should be easy in terms of finding all your files needed, etc. But I am not sure if they are ready yet. Research rooting and flashing your device. Read all instructions several times, and even print out a copy. Make sure the ROM you flash is for the EXACT model for your phone. US versions can't run international versions.

If you want to see Stock Android, you can do this a little easier. Any place that would sell a wifi Nexus 7 or 10 that is a working display, play with that. That is going to be Android in it's purest form. You should be able to find AOSP (Android Open Source Project), CyanogenMod and AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ROMs for your S4, but the way I just suggested it the easiest way for you to get a taste.

For my S2, I have run Cyanogen, and Andorid Open Collective Project. Those are the two that are closest to Vanilla Android. I dislike Cyanogen for a couple reasons. 1. I dislike how everything is themed to a cyan color, most apps are inverted (meaning they don't look like stock apps). Not that I hate the color, but I like the fact that all of my Samsung devices have vibrant colors. So, going from vibrant colors to 75% of all icons are cyan or black is a little bland. AOCP is kind of similar, their color is orange, but a handful of the core apps (Phone, browser, contacts etc, ) are orange. I like it better than Cyanogen, but if it weren't for me trying to build an app and having the benefit of a device running 4.2, I would have ditched even AOCP.

Chances are pretty good that you know someone with Cyanogen. If you do, ask to play with their phone a bit.
    05-19-2013 12:23 AM