05-25-2013 04:21 PM
134 12345 ...
tools
    So a week ago I lost my iPhone 5, after days of recovering I decided to get a another iPhone 5. When I was in the store I played with the Galaxy S4 and I decided to get it instead of the iPhone 5 . So for those thinking of switching here is my 2 cents:
    Cons:
    1. I am sure is not Android OS fault but the Galaxy s4 is very Laggy
    It is Touchwiz (the skin Samsung uses) that is doing that. Nexus devices do not lag at all. The lag is from the vendor's skin.
    As for simplicity...you can regain that same simplicity by turning off options in Android. There are even launchers that will replicate the iOS UI.

2. Gimmick features, I have to say even at the store I disabled many of them, hover over the screen"Really" why?
    I actually agree. That is why I went with a nexus device instead.

3. None of the browser are even close to Safari, sorry but even chrome on the iPhone is better
    My main problem with the iPhone was that you cannot make any other browser your default. One of the nice things about Android is that it works like a PC...you can use any app for the default on any function. Music, Maps, Browser...pretty much anything.

4. Unusable pre-installed software, If i don't want it let me remove it...what happened to the "free to do anything"
    Android does that. It is the carrier (or Vendor) that is telling you no. They have modified Android. Nexus devices (unmodified Android) let you remove anything.

5. Notifications - really just at the top bar?
    What would you prefer to that? It is the best notification system I have seen so far. Also, they are persistent...they do not fade after a few seconds, so you do not miss your notifications.

7.Not sure if its the Samsung crappy GUI over the OS but apps are just not as smooth compare to the same app in IOS...Why? this things hardware specs are so powerful...
    Part of it is the way iOS does multitasking. iOS gives priority to the UI, so things will always look smooth. This comes at the price of denying other stuff (like background processing). On my friend's iPhone, a web page will stop downloading if I scroll...it will resume only after I stop scrolling. On an Android browser, stuff will continue to download and render on the page even as you are scrolling.

9 Samsung gets in the way too much i think
    It sure does. That is why the recent announcement of a "Google" S4 was such a big deal...you will have all the power of a Galaxy S4 without Samsung's crap getting in the way.

3. remotely install apps from the play store on line...hell yeah!
    Yeah, that is awesome and really underrated.

4. Sync any music...no matter how you got it...
    I still buy music from iTunes, but I never ever let iTunes touch it after that. Android basically treats music like the PC does...as files that you can move around and organize however you want.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-20-2013 03:20 PM
    I'm sitting here with an s4 and a One side by side. Both devices are crazy fast and navigate everything very well. The One is a hair snappier, but not even enough to notice unless you have both devices next to each other. No lags on either phone.

Time index 3:42. Yes, the lag is there, and in some places, very noticeable IMO. The average person will probably not care. But to someone that is used to a perfect frame rate like on the iPhone, it is annoying.
    05-20-2013 03:26 PM
    I saw some choppier animation, but it wasn't really "lag." The S4 did most everything faster. I didn't watch the whole thing but the only time the S4 looked slower was starting up the camera. I'd be interested to see what the difference was after 10 tries rather than just 1. I'm guessing that's part of where the confusion comes from. It is a bit annoying, but it's cosmetic.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has problems rotating their map when they're trying to zoom in or out.
    05-20-2013 04:09 PM
    Do you want a refund of your 2 cents lol
    j/k.. :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    madlaw1071 and badbrad17 like this.
    05-20-2013 04:22 PM
    I saw some choppier animation, but it wasn't really "lag."
    What is the difference exactly? Dropped frames = lag.
    I am not complaining myself. I think the S4 is awesome. I am just saying I can see why iPhone users would turn their noses up at it.

The S4 did most everything faster.
    That is to be expected since it's specs are better. The fact that the N4 beat it at all, in any area, is an example of just how big an anchor Touchwiz really is, and why it is a bad thing.

I cannot wait to see what the Google version of the S4 looks like when relieved of the Touchwiz pollution. I fully expect the Google S4 to trounce the N4 in all areas, including UI smoothness.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has problems rotating their map when they're trying to zoom in or out.
    It is something they can probably fix. But who knows if they will. Samsung will fix the stuff people complain about the most first.
    05-20-2013 04:42 PM
    I had the same issues with the galaxy s4, I returned it for the htc one that is been eyeing before...it has been night and day difference, no lag, smooth and a better display. No regrets, came from an iPhone 5. Let's face it, iPhone users are a spoiled
    Bunch when it comes to a perfect smartphone experience.
    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Gathomblipoob and Aznmrtaxes like this.
    05-20-2013 04:54 PM
    i came from iphone 4 and really like my galaxy 3. but i am using my iphone to pick up spotify on wireless off my laptop to play on my surround sound. remember back when you had a recordplayer and lp records. Anyway i still receive sms on my simcardless iphone ( fron iphone users obviously ) but dont receive same on my galaxy. How do i overcome this. I have turned of icloud on the iphone. Thanks.
    Paul
    Have you turned off iMessage as well?
    05-20-2013 05:03 PM
    I don't understand the problem here. If you like the Iphone so much, stick with it. Problem solved. I like larger screens and customizable options, so the s4 is for me. Once again, problem solved.

There isn't a perfect phone in existence which isnt going to involve some concessions. Even my HTC One which I love, has some annoying features that I just learn to deal with.
    05-20-2013 05:14 PM
    I don't understand the problem here. If you like the Iphone so much, stick with it. Problem solved. I like larger screens and customizable options, so the s4 is for me. Once again, problem solved. There isn't a perfect phone in existence which isnt going to involve some concessions. Even my HTC One which I love, has some annoying features that I just learn to deal with.
    Part of the reason I come to this site is to learn about the OS and other phones I don't own. It helps when researching a future purchase or giving advice to relatives.

Posting an opinion is not a problem for me. I'd like to hear what she has to say about her experience. I don't know why some people on this forum have such a problem with personal opinions. Discussion about Android and Android phones is the entire point of forums like this IMO.
    Aquila, Aznmrtaxes and stridr69#AC like this.
    05-20-2013 05:48 PM
    In regards to whom it is applicable, let's try to keep this calm and civil. An opinion is an opinion, we're each entitled to them. That's why this is a discussion board.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-20-2013 06:26 PM
    In regards to whom it is applicable, let's try to keep this calm and civil. An opinion is an opinion, we're each entitled to them. That's why this is a discussion board.
    I consider your opinion about this matter to be invalid!!!!!!
    DioramaMaker likes this.
    05-20-2013 06:27 PM
    i came from iphone 4 and really like my galaxy 3. but i am using my iphone to pick up spotify on wireless off my laptop to play on my surround sound. remember back when you had a recordplayer and lp records. Anyway i still receive sms on my simcardless iphone ( fron iphone users obviously ) but dont receive same on my galaxy. How do i overcome this. I have turned of icloud on the iphone. Thanks.
    Paul
    I believe that your issue is imessage. You get this over wifi not through your mobile network (hence the no sim still working). Go in and disable your imessage account and you should be good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Aquila likes this.
    05-20-2013 06:40 PM
    -In regards to Chrome, +1, agreed

-With this Google Voice does this tie straight into my phone service like the AT&T one?
    One thing I just love about Chrome is how it remembers my preferences, bookmarks and search results from my Google account. Many times I've visited a website at the office and can only remember the first few letters. As soon as I start typing on my phone, tablet or home computer the site just pops up.

Aquila likes this.
    05-20-2013 06:47 PM
    I had the same issues with the galaxy s4, I returned it for the htc one that is been eyeing before...it has been night and day difference, no lag, smooth and a better display. No regrets, came from an iPhone 5. Let's face it, iPhone users are a spoiled
    Bunch when it comes to a perfect smartphone experience.
    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    A perfect device, yet here you are using Android? Careful how you explain things. It doesn't make sense. Apple is far from perfect.

orion575 likes this.
    05-20-2013 07:06 PM
    Alrighty, I'll look into that, sounds much more promising than the AT&T one I've got.
    Google Voice is great plus you can check your voice mails from the desktop

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    DioramaMaker likes this.
    05-20-2013 07:39 PM
    3. None of the browser are even close to Safari, sorry but even chrome on the iPhone is better
    4. Unusable pre-installed software, If i don't want it let me remove it...what happened to the "free to do anything"
    5. Notifications - really just at the top bar? and why so many icons of the same kind. I really like the on the face here you go iPhone provides.
    I could not disagree more on number 3 and 5. Notifications on Android are lightyears ahead of iOS, and the browsers are both more powerful and a much better selection exists. Which ones are you using?

The software CAN be removed (root for some of it). You can disable 99% of the ones you can't uninstall though.
    05-20-2013 07:53 PM
    Samsung phones are "laggy" because of the bloated TouchWiz interface. Performance can be improved by using a custom ROM instead, as the latter doesn't have OEM or carrier provided bloatware.
    05-20-2013 10:04 PM
    After reading through all the comments I must say.......you all really love your Samsungs. To put it simply........their is a reason why there are so many different phones and that reason is because everyone has different tastes. The phone that works for you will always be the best phone (for you, not in the world....no phone is best in the world). I don't live on my phone so therefore I don't need the so called "Top End" devices. I'm very happy with my outstanding LG Lucid. It lasts almost 2 days of moderate internet usage, calls, texts, and the occasional playing. I would say that I have the best phone................I do have the best phone, for me.
    05-21-2013 05:18 AM
    one man's gimmick is another man's godsend
    Aquila and badbrad17 like this.
    05-21-2013 06:59 AM
    What is the difference exactly? Dropped frames = lag.
    I am not complaining myself. I think the S4 is awesome. I am just saying I can see why iPhone users would turn their noses up at it.
    My experience is that many smart phone users don't need valid reason to turn their nose up at phones they don't own.

I'm pretty sure we're in 100% agreement except for some minor semantics. Many people think lag is the same as slower performance. So if a "non laggy" action takes 1 second then a "laggy" action would take 1.5 seconds. The "choppyness" is just a drop in frame rate. So if the action takes 1 second and it's not "choppy" you'd get say 30 frames and a "choppy" action would only get 15. It still only takes 1 second to do the action, it just doesn't look as nice. It's just that these terms aren't used the same way by everyone. I'm not saying there isn't a problem, just that the actual problem isn't always being accurately reported or interpreted becasue of this semantic confusion.

That is to be expected since it's specs are better. The fact that the N4 beat it at all, in any area, is an example of just how big an anchor Touchwiz really is, and why it is a bad thing.
    My experience with Android so far is that the camera is the area with the least consistent performance. It could take my camera 1 second or 30 seconds to come up at any time and neither would surprise me. If that performance difference in the video is repeatable then it's definitely an issue, but just one instance isn't enough to convince me. Fortunately I'll be able to check it out for myself tomorrow evening.

I cannot wait to see what the Google version of the S4 looks like when relieved of the Touchwiz pollution. I fully expect the Google S4 to trounce the N4 in all areas, including UI smoothness.
    My guess is that the Google S4 will force Samsung to address any choppyness issues they have. This is just speculation, though. It's obviously possible to fix but whether or not they decide to do it is definitely up in the air. I don't have a good enough feel for Samsung to have any faith in my guess on what they will or won't do.

It is something they can probably fix. But who knows if they will. Samsung will fix the stuff people complain about the most first.
    It's not a Samsung issue, it's a Google Maps issue. I don't even have my S4 yet but I've been rotating instead of zooming on my Motorola Droid X2 since the day Google introduced that rotate "feature."
    05-21-2013 09:19 AM
    You should have tried the HTC One...
    Much less laggy! I own some iProducts and I would put its smoothness in the same ballpark...
    No gimmicks ui. That was a big reason for me to choose the One over the GS4. I knew I wouldn't like the hover options so why get the phone given that's one of their big features. I had a Nexus device before this and I don't miss vanilla android at all! Sense 5 is beautifully simplistic!...
    Build quality like an iProduct!

Posted via Android Central App
    A lot of people say that fans of Samsung are like "iSheep" but every reason to pick the HTC One is along the exact same lines of why I hear Apple fans stick to iPhone. I'm not bashing anyone, or their device, but it's just funny how fingers get pointed at everyone else and it's so easy to ignore what you are doing/saying.

If I wanted a device that was identical to the iPhone in every single way, i'd just go with the iPhone. If you refuse to buy a phone because it has features you wont need or use, it sounds like Android isn't really your thing. Cause that's what the Google ecosystem is all about. Why do we hate options suddenly? We're offended that Samsung put features into their phone that we may or may not use? It appears the Android world is changing. People WANT iPhones, but our Android pride wont let us admit it so we just criticize manufacturers who make devices that aren't iPhones. We want the iPhone experience without having to tell people we own an iPhone. I had no idea Apple was winning. I honestly thought Android was changing the thought process but ever since the HTC One was announced, i've had my eyes opened.

I completely get not wanting the S4 for plastic feel, Amoled screen, shape, size, appearing like the S3......but complaining about options when that's what Android IS? Crazy.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    05-21-2013 10:25 AM
    I'm pretty sure we're in 100% agreement except for some minor semantics. Many people think lag is the same as slower performance. So if a "non laggy" action takes 1 second then a "laggy" action would take 1.5 seconds. The "choppyness" is just a drop in frame rate. So if the action takes 1 second and it's not "choppy" you'd get say 30 frames and a "choppy" action would only get 15. It still only takes 1 second to do the action, it just doesn't look as nice.
    To most people, that will = lag. When you say "lag" they will take that to mean less-than-smooth animation. Whether or not the actual time to transition is the same. Dropped frames are still lag.

My guess is that the Google S4 will force Samsung to address any choppyness issues they have.
    It may not be something they can fix. It might be that Touchwiz simply takes up too many resources to retain that smooth animation.

It's not a Samsung issue, it's a Google Maps issue.
    It most definitely is NOT a Maps issue. We know this because it is already smooth on the nexus phone. The video demonstrates that, and it has been my experience as well. This is a UI issue, not a maps issue. If it was Maps we would see it on all Android phones, and we don't.
    05-21-2013 10:46 AM
    To most people, that will = lag. When you say "lag" they will take that to mean less-than-smooth animation. Whether or not the actual time to transition is the same. Dropped frames are still lag.
    Most gamers, maybe. But I don't think that "regular folk" who come here looking for advice will equate lag with frame rate. The proof is in pretty much every thread about the issue.

It most definitely is NOT a Maps issue. We know this because it is already smooth on the nexus phone. The video demonstrates that, and it has been my experience as well. This is a UI issue, not a maps issue. If it was Maps we would see it on all Android phones, and we don't.
    You've lost sight of what we're talking about in this part of the conversation. I'm referring to Maps rotating rather than zooming if you don't pinch it just right. It happens on the Nexus in the video.
    05-21-2013 11:45 AM
    We always tend to blame something for not doing what we like on a different phone. If you hate TouchWiz, don't buy Samsung. If you expected Android to be the same experience as iOS, you've discovered it isn't and you prefer iOS. Why do we feel like everything has to be the same and then pretend like we want choices and selection? If you're 100% satisfied with what you have, why experiment and get something else? If you do want to experiment with something else, don't expect it to be identical to your previous model and experience and then complain when it's different.
    badbrad17 and gadgetman#CB like this.
    05-21-2013 12:05 PM
    Most gamers, maybe. But I don't think that "regular folk" who come here looking for advice will equate lag with frame rate.
    IMO they will consider it the same because they can't tell the differece. Choppy frame rate is the same thing as "slow" to them. As a tech nerd I understand what you mean. But I don't think they will.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-21-2013 12:17 PM
134 12345 ...