New to Android (Galaxy S4) came from Iphone 5...My 2 cents

silverbarista

May 20, 2013
Visit site
i came from iphone 4 and really like my galaxy 3. but i am using my iphone to pick up spotify on wireless off my laptop to play on my surround sound. remember back when you had a recordplayer and lp records. Anyway i still receive sms on my simcardless iphone ( fron iphone users obviously ) but dont receive same on my galaxy. How do i overcome this. I have turned of icloud on the iphone. Thanks.
Paul

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Well that's awfully opinionated.

Let me go ahead and say, then, that the Nexus 4 is BY FAR the best Android phone in existence.

But you can't say either of those statements.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

How my comment opinionated when sales back it up? 10 million people have already agreed with me in a short amount of time.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

Aznmrtaxes

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
How my comment opinionated when sales back it up? 10 million people have already agreed with me in a short amount of time.

Went from N2 to Droid DNA. You may like your phone and others may like them too. But OP is one of those that ended up somewhat 'disliking' his S4 and I'm fairly certain their is plenty of people that bought the S4 and ended up not liking it. In the end what matters is personal preference and who's to say your phone is better than anyone else's? I chose the phone that works the best for me instead of becoming an S-Sheep or iSheep.

Sent from my AMAZING HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Arguable and I disagree with you on all front, Safari's menus are deep and too stacked. Not simple to navigate. And as far as Chrome goes, I couldn't even efficiently use it on my iPhone. I had to use Safari to browse. Android feels more like desktop browsing than mobile. It honestly seemed like after Apple's push for no Google apps on stock iOS, all Google services went down the drain.

Chrome on iOS basically is Safari with a different look. On Android Chrome is way better because it's the native app.

No visual voice mail...had to download third party app
No argument here.

Google Voice (requires download, but not 3rd party) will accomplish this. It will keep recordings, transcripts in the apps and e-mail transcripts to you, if you wish.

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Went from N2 to Droid DNA. You may like your phone and others may like them too. But OP is one of those that ended up somewhat 'disliking' his S4 and I'm fairly certain their is plenty of people that bought the S4 and ended up not liking it. In the end what matters is personal preference and who's to say your phone is better than anyone else's? I chose the phone that works the best for me instead of becoming an S-Sheep or iSheep.

Sent from my AMAZING HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

Um...You could say that about ANY phone. But I happen to agree with him. The s4 is simply amazing, and I find that most of the bashing of the phone comes people who don't own one.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but people and keep opening threads like these and I'm still not biting. I still think the Gs4 is overall the best android phone on the market, even with it's flaws.

I'd agree that it's in the top 5, perhaps one of the top 3.

Let me go ahead and say, then, that the Nexus 4 is BY FAR the best Android phone in existence.

Also one of the top 5, also probably one of the top 3.

If "best" is measured by sales, Samsung is the best Android OEM. I'm not sure best should be measured by sales. What's the best car in the world? It's probably very expensive and one of the worst selling cars every year. Sales are a measure relative marketing value. One could say, "what's the best car in the $25,000-$55,000 range that has 4 doors and a V6 or better engine?" and the "best one" probably still isn't selling the best, because of cost, etc. Also, two different customers, because of features, cost, etc. will probably choose two different cars as being the "best", and depending on their budget, still either or both might not purchase the "best". I like saying the S4 is very good and it's in the top 5.

If we treat it as a top 5, with HTC One, LG O Pro, Sammy S4, Nexus 4 and the 5th place changes, Note 2, Sony X, etc., then pretty much everyone's favorite is in that list.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Chrome on iOS basically is Safari with a different look. On Android Chrome is way better because it's the native app.

Google Voice (requires download, but not 3rd party) will accomplish this. It will keep recordings, transcripts in the apps and e-mail transcripts to you, if you wish.

-In regards to Chrome, +1, agreed

-With this Google Voice does this tie straight into my phone service like the AT&T one?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

-With this Google Voice does this tie straight into my phone service like the AT&T one?

It's a weird procedure, but basically the way I did it was I got a Google Voice phone number (free) and I only use it for voicemail. Basically Google intercepts or has my voicemail forwarded (seamlessly to callers) to the voicemailbox for the other number. Someone calls my regular phone number and if they choose to leave a message, they never know they were forwarded. Voicemails show up as recordings and transcripts in the app and if you choose, a transcript with a link to the recording can be e-mailed to you. All of this is free.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
It's a weird procedure, but basically the way I did it was I got a Google Voice phone number (free) and I only use it for voicemail. Basically Google intercepts or has my voicemail forwarded (seamlessly to callers) to the voicemailbox for the other number. Someone calls my regular phone number and if they choose to leave a message, they never know they were forwarded. Voicemails show up as recordings and transcripts in the app and if you choose, a transcript with a link to the recording can be e-mailed to you. All of this is free.

Sounds like a Rube Goldberg machine :p
Does this take data to do? I have my AT&T one set up but there are complaints that it needs 4g LTE to download even, and I only have 4G in most places where I'm at. I got to experience using LTE for the first time in Dallas yesterday. I can't confirm or deny if that's the case yet, and it it is theis Google voice get up might not be so bad.

And by the way sir, I love the Assassin's Creed getup :) Huge fan myself as well!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a Rube Goldberg machine :p
Does this take data to do? I have my AT&T one set up but there are complaints that it needs 4g LTE to download even, and I only have 4G in most places where I'm at. I got to experience using LTE for the first time in Dallas yesterday. I can't confirm or deny if that's the case yet, and it it is theis Google voice get up might not be so bad.

And by the way sir, I love the Assassin's Creed getup :) Huge fan myself as well!

It uses data to sync the app and if you access your e-mail via data, but doesn't have to be a specific kind of data, it's just Google's sync/push. The transcription is all happening on Google's end and the results are sent to you via sync.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
It uses data to sync the app and if you access your e-mail via data, but doesn't have to be a specific kind of data, it's just Google's sync/push. The transcription is all happening on Google's end and the results are sent to you via sync.

Alrighty, I'll look into that, sounds much more promising than the AT&T one I've got.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I think you should try a different device. I love my phone better than my iPhone 5. Never thought I would ever say that

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
You should have tried the HTC One...
Much less laggy! I own some iProducts and I would put its smoothness in the same ballpark...
No gimmicks ui. That was a big reason for me to choose the One over the GS4. I knew I wouldn't like the hover options so why get the phone given that's one of their big features. I had a Nexus device before this and I don't miss vanilla android at all! Sense 5 is beautifully simplistic!...
Build quality like an iProduct!

Posted via Android Central App

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Is this why you think it's the best because of sales figures,WOW,in that theory the Iphone would be the best,sales figures mean nothing and should never mean anything to the rational consumer.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
To address a couple of issues, I am with T-Mobile. They have visual voicemail pre-installed, if not native Android. I love Firefox on Android--more than I even like it on the desktop, actually. I love the hover - preview feature.

But if anyone doesn't, I understand. There is no question Samsung's approach is to have a billion things available. Many won't want this or that--group play, bleh--but you'll find something you'll love. Apple does simplicity and smooth, and they do it very well. It is a well integrated system. Android offers options and customization opportunities, which has many benefits, but is harder to learn and make the best use of. And then Samsung takes that philosophy and doubles down on it. I understand why some might think that's a bad thing. There are times when it is almost funny seeing all these esoteric things that I may never use. I set up an Asus tablet recently that was largely plain vanilla Android, and it was way easier to get used to and set up. But my view has always been, no one is forcing me to have the features. If I don't want them, I don't use them. If I do, it's nice to have. And I will wind up using some.

For me, the deal breakers are the really important things---screen size, removable batteries, SD card slots. Apple's "this is what you get" philosophy is a major fail for those things. The rest is details by comparison.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
First, a general question to the S4 owners...is the "lag" really an issue with this device? I ask as a current S3 owner considering an upgrade, but I find it concerning that so many folks comment on lag within the OS, especially considering how awesomely smooth the S3 is. Seems like they've take a step backwards in that department if the S4 has lag issues.

To the OP: Agree with you to a point about "gimmicky" features, but you have to remember this isn't a "Google" Android phone, a.k.a. Nexus, but rather Samsung's flagship...and those gimmicks are kinda their game. Some are freakin' awesome, some are kinda neat, and others are kinda worthless, but none the less, the Galaxy line does have a lot more bells and whistles than the standard Nexus phones. Granted, Apple keeps iOS proprietary as they run a different business model, but it would be similar to a situation where some manufacturer made a phone with iOS, but also added a bunch of other stuff on top of it, promising additional features. If that manufacturer didn't execute these features properly and the device sucked, it wouldn't be a fault of iOS, since the OS obviously runs quite well as intended on Apple's own devices. (For the record, I don't think Samsung's application of Touchwiz applications were poorly executed, just giving an example).

I'd like to disagree with you about the browser comment, but it's been too long since I've used an iOS device to really make a fair comparison. For me, the sync feature of Chrome is what I really love. It's great that all my bookmarks are available across all platforms, and I love being able to go to my computer, and pull up the sites I already have open on my other devices, which comes in very handy when you discover something interesting on your phone that you want to read up on in more detail from your PC.

EDIT: Also, regarding email, I personally find that for GMail accounts, the Gmail app is the best way to go, since it's fully synced to your account, however it is VERY POSSIBLE to access GMail using the general email app as well, you just have to make sure that POP/IMAP access is enabled for your GMail account (done through "settings" on your computer browser).

It's really not that complicated at all, and to answer "DioramaMaker's" question, the short answer is: yes, it ties straight into your phone service like the AT&T one. I don't know the specific steps (because I'm on Verizon), but I know that it does work...a quick Google search should point you in the right direction of how to do it. Yes, you have to setup your AT&T account to "forward" all unanswered calls to the GV service rather than send them to AT&T's voicemail service, but that's a one-time thing. Not only does it provide a great VVM service you can use on your phone, but you can also have it send you an email when you get a voice message and you can access your VM mailbox at any time on your computer. This is great for folks like me who don't always have access to their cell phones while at work (I work in a "secure" office with zero cell reception), because I can still respond to voicemail messages in a timely fashion. Keep in mind as well, that the setup is tied to your AT&T account, so even if you switch phones, all you have to do is install the app to retrieve all your messages and continue using the service.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the S3, S4 and the One. Lag is a non-factor on the S4. Samsung released on OTA update for the S4 which all but eliminated lag for most of the people that experienced any in the first place.

Last edited:

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I'll never understand how you can think sales determine a phone's quality.

So I guess, as someone else said, that by that logic, a Kia is better than a Lamborghini.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888