New to Android (Galaxy S4) came from Iphone 5...My 2 cents

willthetech

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So a week ago I lost my iPhone 5, after days of recovering I decided to get a another iPhone 5. When I was in the store I played with the Galaxy S4 and I decided to get it instead of the iPhone 5 . So for those thinking of switching here is my 2 cents:
Cons:
1. I am sure is not Android OS fault but the Galaxy s4 is very Laggy, even after doing all of the suggestions around here. I really miss the IOS simplicity and smoothness.
2. Gimmick features, I have to say even at the store I disabled many of them, hover over the screen"Really" why?
3. None of the browser are even close to Safari, sorry but even chrome on the iPhone is better
4. Unusable pre-installed software, If i don't want it let me remove it...what happened to the "free to do anything"
5. Notifications - really just at the top bar? and why so many icons of the same kind. I really like the on the face here you go iPhone provides.
6. No visual voice mail...had to download third party app :(
7.Not sure if its the Samsung crappy GUI over the OS but apps are just not as smooth compare to the same app in IOS...Why? this things hardware specs are so powerful...
8. I cant set Gmail as exchange in the mail app...WTF? i have to use the gmail app just to get gmails...ok this one is just crappy...really google?
9 Samsung gets in the way too much i think, will prefer just vanilla android for sure

Pros:
1. Screen size: so much better for typing, no more triple letters when texting
2. Free to do "almost anything" is kind of weird but I like experimentation...we will see
3. remotely install apps from the play store on line...hell yeah!
4. Sync any music...no matter how you got it...:)
5. its Google so all Google software stuff works...most of the time :)
6. many other features for sure, still adapting...

I am sure many fandroids here will defend their choice, but again this is just my personal experience...
Is the phone a good phone...well take the lagginess away and hell yeah...we will see if any future updates can fix this.

Peace........

Aznmrtaxes

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I think you and I have a similar personal preference. Personally I find too many gimmick features that I simply don't use and ended up giving my wife my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and got myself a Droid DNA. Overall N2 Is great phone but you are correct on laggy. I think Samsung processors are laggy which I don't know why. I came from an iPhone also, had all the iPhone lineups except 5. I do love android. I think the ability for customization is my favorite feature. Plus I love using almost all Google Apps and android system makes using Google much easier and smoother. Instead of having a phone with a bunch of gimmick features that I will never use and overwhelms me, I got the DNA for the simplicity. Its a great smartphone and I find processing works much better and smoother, and plus I got it for free since Verizon has a deal. :)

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Most if not all of the cons can be fixed with a Nexus device. No lag, no bloatware, no gimmicks, etc.

But I agree with most of your points as far as the GS4 itself is concerned.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a perfect time to try an HTC One, similar quality of iPhone, none of the lag and issues you speak of, it's extremely fluid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
4. Sync any music...no matter how you got it...:)
5. its Google so all Google software stuff works...most of the time :)
6. many other features for sure, still adapting...

I'm sure the iphone does this too over wifi... I may be wrong since my laptop broke.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I came from iPhone to iPhone 3gs to iPhone 4 then 4s then the iPhone 5 now to the gs4 and there is some stuff I miss on iPhone I do like the gs4 I don't really care for android though allot of simple features should be included since we are in 2013 like emoji to all devices send hd video through mms like iPhone etc it's the simple things I miss but the gs4 hills it's own over the iPhone 5 to I will stick with the gs4 till iPhone 6 steps up ios and gives the iPhone a bigger screen.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The lag and stutter should be fixed with an update but wont be as smooth as ios.
My suggestion is buy an iPhone 5, i think it would be better for you.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, what about contacts... Android linking multiple contracts is so much better than iOS, unless apple does this now? (Not had an iPhone for a year). And how about being able to customise vibration patterns, so if your partner messages you you know its them without even taking your phone out of your pocket... Or the awesome alarms on android, immeasurably superior to iOS. Or the colour changing led? Or the awesome swipe keyboard? Or Google now? Or Google maps!

There is loads of stuff android does so much better, you need to take time and find it is all.

Posted via Android Central App

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. My rommate loves her iPhone 5 and would never think of changing. It's a mindset I think. Personally, I can NEVER go back from a 5' Samsung HD screen, never. The saturated deep blacks are simply stunning. Even the One's screen looks dull in comparison. Nothing wrong with different preferences though, otherwise we'd all have the same phone. :)

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
IOS has Google Now and Google Maps... and from what I heard their versions are better than the Android versions :-\

I am on a Nexus 4 from a 4S and I pretty much agree with all the Pros the OP listed and I can understand some of the Cons.

I was surprised with a few things that surprised me when I first got the phone and some things I still miss.

I am surprised that from the factory the browser isn't as smooth as Safari (using Chrome beta but still prefer my Safari on my iPad).
I miss little features like the simple tap at the top of the screen to scroll all the way back to the top, a simple back button or swipe.
A lack of a stock unified email app like IOS where I only need one app for my exchange, yahoo and gmail (and still havent found a decent 3rd party).

For the most part I'm happy with stock Android. Definitely like the bigger screen also compared to iPhone.
I know IOS7 will be different and should be interesting... but I think I need them to have a bigger screen (4.3-4.7) for me to go back right now.

OK, what about contacts... Android linking multiple contracts is so much better than iOS, unless apple does this now? (Not had an iPhone for a year). And how about being able to customise vibration patterns, so if your partner messages you you know its them without even taking your phone out of your pocket... Or the awesome alarms on android, immeasurably superior to iOS. Or the colour changing led? Or the awesome swipe keyboard? Or Google now? Or Google maps!

There is loads of stuff android does so much better, you need to take time and find it is all.

Posted via Android Central App

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Until now, I have only had iPhones, and my experience with them has been less than satisfactory. iTunes is a garbled mess of a program and the steady degradation of user experience with each iOS update to the point the phone takes half a minute to open the camera shutter is a joke. I couldn't even open Facebook without it crashing one if not two times the phone lagged so bad. Plus, the propriety of Apple products was very frustrating to me. I understand Apple's place in the electronics market, but it's not where I choose to be any longer. By no means do they make a bad device, but in it's own realm it's good, it has it's place and it's users. I feel like Apple gives a sandbox for you to play in...surrounded by lava. Stray too far from what they want and you're in trouble. Android gives you the tools to build the sandbox, you get to design your own experience for the most part. In fact, the day I got my S4 I had to put the phone aside because I became frustrated with just how much I could do. After a few hours, I came back, picked up the phone, and blazed though all the little things that made Android, well, Android. From there I really felt going back to an iPhone would be a HUGE step backwards. I feel like I have a mini laptop with me rather than a mobile phone.

1. I am sure is not Android OS fault but the Galaxy s4 is very Laggy, even after doing all of the suggestions around here. I really miss the IOS simplicity and smoothness.
I have had less lag on the S4 than I had had on my iOS devices. With the update that just was pushed out I have had next to none.

2. Gimmick features, I have to say even at the store I disabled many of them, hover over the screen"Really" why?
Yes, I agree, smart scroll and pause are more gimmicky than useful. However you specifically point out the hover feature. I find this incredibly useful, especially when reading my inbox, I can preview emails without having to wait for them to load. This was the gimmick I took least regard to, and ended up finding it the most useful - so much that I think of it as a solid integrated feature.

I'm not knocking you sir, this is based on personal experiences with friends and observation of people. For example, I showed my friend who is a die hard apple fan some stuff like smart scrolling, and explained picking up calls by waving your hand. He bashed everything saying how it is all pointless and stupid, including call pickup with gestures - a feature that is not only logical, but useful. I am a crafty person, and when my hand is covered in paint, wave gesture is a beautiful addition, just lie previewing a text by hovering. I believe any artisan could attest to this theory. Another nice one is moving pages with waves...nice for people who follow recipes while cooking.

I do honestly think that if any of the "gimmicks" Samsung put into the phone would have been released by Apple, iSheep would have been boasting, drooling over, and praising them for coming up with the most intuitive ideas ever.

3. None of the browser are even close to Safari, sorry but even chrome on the iPhone is better
Arguable and I disagree with you on all front, Safari's menus are deep and too stacked. Not simple to navigate. And as far as Chrome goes, I couldn't even efficiently use it on my iPhone. I had to use Safari to browse. Android feels more like desktop browsing than mobile. It honestly seemed like after Apple's push for no Google apps on stock iOS, all Google services went down the drain.

4. Unusable pre-installed software, If i don't want it let me remove it...what happened to the "free to do anything"
I agree with you here. The preinstalled stuff is a joke. I don't want any of AT&T's junk. Thankfully, disabling the apps is a nice work around to hide them, but it is an unnecessary step too far.

5. Notifications - really just at the top bar? and why so many icons of the same kind. I really like the on the face here you go iPhone provides.
Outside of badges which can be solved using a launcher or app, iOS now does the same top down notification system unless you alter it to be pop up style. The less intrusive the better.

6. No visual voice mail...had to download third party app
No argument here.

7. Not sure if its the Samsung crappy GUI over the OS but apps are just not as smooth compare to the same app in IOS...Why? this things hardware specs are so powerful...
Personal opinion. I slapped Nova launcher on and have more features than stock iOS or Android can offer in a homescreen. Though in all honesty TouchWiz was not as bad as everyone painted it out to be.

8. I cant set Gmail as exchange in the mail app...WTF? i have to use the gmail app just to get gmails...ok this one is just crappy...really google?
I'm not 100% sure I'm following here but ultimately I have had no problems with the stock email app with my Gmail, Yahoo!, and Exchange all working smooth as butter.

9. Samsung gets in the way too much i think, will prefer just vanilla android for sure
Can't argue nor agree here as some is too much, some is too little. If you want my 2 cents I think Sammy is preparing to slowly launch it's own OS, perhaps a buyout of Tizen OS is on the horizon. I just get this feeling about that.

Like I said sir, I'm not knocking you, I respect your opinions and your experience and I urge you to work with it more, add the things you liked on iOS back, make sure your software is up to date, and perhaps drop animations to 0.5 in dev options if you don't feel it is smooth enough. I really think you can enjoy your experience here, you just have to make it your own. That's the beauty of Android - I can take my friend's phone and it is entirely different from mine, yet still be running the same OS. Use an iPhone, and it is the same every time. Ultimately though, I get the feeling you will go back to your iPhone, it seems you're very set in the ways of Apple, which is perfectly fine, my girlfriend is the same way with her iPhone, as well as many of my friends. It's fine, just as some like Macs over PCs and vice versa.

Regardless you have a good device either way, they both are extraordinary pieces of hardware and amazing feats of technology. Just like shoes, some fit some, some fit others. As I said, I hope you give this a chance and fiddle with it a lot more, even if you do what sfla99 recommends and try the HTC one, as it feels more like a hybrid of iOS and android. Personally, I don't know if I'd go with Samsung again on the ext upgrade cycle. I love the device, but it depends on how much they push their software into it. Perhaps they'll back down if the Google S4 pays off...who knows, but thankfully there are easy workarounds on Android if not.

IOS has Google Now and Google Maps... and from what I heard their versions are better than the Android versions :-\

I can certainly argue this in regards to maps. I don't know about Now as I never installed it on my 4 before boarding the Android Ship. I had nothing but a pleasurable, superior experience yesterday using maps, and I used the Apple version on my old iPhone in the same area not a month before. The maps updated with speed, perfect accuracy, looked great, and were easy to follow with a great looking UI - things that never were on my iPhone.

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but people and keep opening threads like these and I'm still not biting. I still think the Gs4 is overall the best android phone on the market, even with it's flaws.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, but people and keep opening threads like these and I'm still not biting. I still think the Gs4 is overall the best android phone on the market, even with it's flaws.

For what it's worth and from a standpoint of the majority of people being average consumers, I would agree with you. The only thing to make it better would be if the widespread release was stock Android with features lie air view built in...though it wouldn't be stock then would it.

br3wnor

May 14, 2013
Visit site
As someone who came from the iPhone to Android recently I can understand your complaints. They're pretty viable but for me, the increased typing accuracy because of the bigger screen and the openness of Android is pretty sweet.

Overall its not as slick a package for sure but now that I'm used to it I like it about the same as iPhone and the little bit of lag I have at times isn't a big deal. Granted my number 1 reason for staying on Android is the battery of this phone (RAZR Maxx HD) which is simply incredible and makes any flaws compared to iPhone not any issue at all. I'll be staying on this phone for the duration of my contract for sure.

Droid RAZR Maxx HD

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That's because it is.

Posted from my amazing white Galaxy S4

Well that's awfully opinionated.

Let me go ahead and say, then, that the Nexus 4 is BY FAR the best Android phone in existence.

But you can't say either of those statements.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Man, with all due respect, I must disagree with you ;)
I lived at the AT&T store for a week and a half before deciding between the S4 and HTC One. I chose the S4..... And then....... The LG Optimus G Pro happened.
This phone has snapdragon 600 and ZERO,(i.e NONE) lag anywhere in the OS.
The S4 IS awesome, (It WAS going to be my first Android phone (even over the HTC One) until I got my hands on the LG), but the LG screen literally blows away the S4 screen for WHITE being WHITE, samsung thinks Gray=White.
No one pays any attention the the LG Optimus G Pro because sammy spends a trillion dollars a quarter on "I'm better than iPhone" commercials.
I honestly think the LG Optimus G Pro is THE best phone on the entire phone market right now.

I do like the S4 tho. :p (other than the screen)

Well, crap... I took the bait and now I sound like a fanboy lol sorry guys. Wont happen again.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Man, with all due respect, I must disagree with you ;)
I lived at the AT&T store for a week and a half before deciding between the S4 and HTC One. I chose the S4..... And then....... The LG Optimus G Pro happened.
This phone has snapdragon 600 and ZERO,(i.e NONE) lag anywhere in the OS.
The S4 IS awesome, (It WAS going to be my first Android phone (even over the HTC One) until I got my hands on the LG), but the LG screen literally blows away the S4 screen for WHITE being WHITE, samsung thinks Gray=White.
No one pays any attention the the LG Optimus G Pro because sammy spends a trillion dollars a quarter on "I'm better than iPhone" commercials.
I honestly think the LG Optimus G Pro is THE best phone on the entire phone market right now.

I do like the S4 tho. :p (other than the screen)

Well, crap... I took the bait and now I sound like a fanboy lol sorry guys. Wont happen again.

I probably would have jumped on the LG if the size wasn't phablet category, personally.

willthetech

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Cool guys thanks for responding to my comments, I was just giving my perspective to other iPhone users that want to cross over.The phone is great, beautiful and everyday I feel better with it. I am sure It will be all good... :) Happy Droing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2