I am new to android, and just got the S4. I am a heavy gmail user, and I have noticed the app won't give a number overtop of the app, saying I have 5 emails, etc. Is there a way to do this? I see the little mail icon on the notification bar at the top, but knowing the amount of mail would be nice. I don't really like the stock app, as it seems to be a bit laggy compared to the gmail app.
    All of the mail background seems kinda gray, too. Would be nicer if it was brighter. Any tips for a newbie coming from IOS?

05-20-2013 12:05 AM
    Hi Jen, welcome to Android Central and Android as a whole. Glad to have you aboard.

You're looking for badges, that's what the little numbers are called. I suggest you download an app called "Nova Launcher", there is a free and paid version, though I do not believe the free version allows you to do badges (I could be wrong, try the free one and see), but let me assure you, it is worth the $4! It allows you to change all your icons, have gestures to swipe around, lots of neat stuff - far more versatile than iOS or TouchWiz homescreens. It basically is a more functional homescreen. Once you enable them in Nova's settings, that will give you badges on all the things you'd expect them to be on.

If you need help on installing/starting up the launcher, let me know I can try to help you out.

As for color, you may try to go into settings>my device>display>screen mode. From there pick a choice you'd like, I use dynamic.

You email app needs to be tweaked to it's refresh settings. It's just the menu softkey when you're in there. Navigate settings and you should be able to mess with the timing.
    JenTDOT likes this.
    05-20-2013 12:26 AM
    Thank you for the tips. Until yesterday,I had no idea what the difference was between a widget and an app. This is a great phone. A lot of customization options.
    DioramaMaker likes this.
    05-20-2013 12:37 AM
    You're most welcome.
    Understandable. Widgets are wonderful though, great little gadgets.
    JenTDOT likes this.
    05-20-2013 12:45 AM