Does anyone else have these issues?

I will be listening to music thru my headphones, and then pause it for a minute or two. Then when I press play the phone doesn't play. I have to pick up the phone and physically press a button to 'wake' the phone. And then instantly the previous click registers and it starts playing.

This is a huge issue. I stop and start my player 50+ of times during a gym session.

Any help would be appreciated.
    05-20-2013 01:36 PM
    Ok, I just figured out why sometimes I can press play during sleep and it works and why other times it doesn't.

If the music app is the main app on the screen at the time that I put the phone to sleep, then the buttons work even after the phone goes to sleep. However if its backgrounded by pressing the home button or if I just started the music using the lockscreen, then there is the issue of it not responding.

Hopefully that helps anyone else with this issue.

Any insite on fixes for this?
    05-20-2013 02:26 PM
    not sure what's happening to your handset... but this is clearly some issue of your device's hardware or software....

what i mean, this is not a problem on my device..... if i have the handsfree plugged in, i can control the music app from there, with the device locked or not... i can even force close the music app, lock the screen, and if i click on the button, it will open by itself and start playing the last song i was playing before closing the app....
    i would recommend to clear cache/data... or restore the factory settings on your device...

my device is a Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337m

good luck finding a solution!
    05-20-2013 02:43 PM
    not sure what's happening to your handset... but this is clearly some issue of your device's hardware or software....

what i mean, this is not a problem on my device..... if i have the handsfree plugged in, i can control the music app from there, with the device locked or not... i can even force close the music app, lock the screen, and if i click on the button, it will open by itself and start playing the last song i was playing before closing the app....
    i would recommend to clear cache/data... or restore the factory settings on your device...

my device is a Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337m

good luck finding a solution!
    **** I don't even know where to start looking. 3 weeks in and I already have a ton of apps, many of which could hypothetically effect functionality.

Any ideas what kind of programs can cause this strange behavior. I deleted my headset controll app that I tried out, but not sure what else.
    05-20-2013 04:37 PM
    **** I don't even know where to start looking. 3 weeks in and I already have a ton of apps, many of which could hypothetically effect functionality.

Any ideas what kind of programs can cause this strange behavior. I deleted my headset controll app that I tried out, but not sure what else.
    ok, well, what i would try, would be to install a task manager (i personally dislike every day usage of this type of apps, but they might be useful in this case), and kill one app at a time, and test the handsfree... starting from the downloaded ones, and finishing with the system ones, just kill them one by one... and try to be as fast as possible, because some of those apps may autostart by themselves...

please, update any outcome ...
    05-20-2013 05:07 PM
    ok, well, what i would try, would be to install a task manager (i personally dislike every day usage of this type of apps, but they might be useful in this case), and kill one app at a time, and test the handsfree... starting from the downloaded ones, and finishing with the system ones, just kill them one by one... and try to be as fast as possible, because some of those apps may autostart by themselves...

please, update any outcome ...
    Thats a really good idea. I haven't got to it because I think I fixed it using a different method.

I went into my /system/usr/keylayout and edited Generic.kl . I replaced the "key 226 HEADSETHOOK" with "key 226 HEADSETHOOK WAKE". The wake command tells the system to wake up the phone anytime that button is pressed. it would make sense this could work and seems like this has fixed the problem. HOWEVER it doesn't make sense that it works, if you are saying that your S4 doesn't have this issue in the first place...

UPDATE: Scratch that. I didn't realize my phone was plugged in, so that made it not actually go to sleep. Tried it again and it didn't work. I will try your method next.

UPDATE 2: I tried killing all my non-system services and immediatly trying this.. It didnt work unfortunately. I tried with two different tast killers just to be sure. Unfortunately I'm afraid I might have to do a reset, I will wait to see if anyone else has any ideas before I do this.
    05-20-2013 05:50 PM
    When you pause your player and then after the phone goes to sleep and you press play. Does it play right away or is there a delay?
    05-20-2013 06:29 PM
    When you pause your player and then after the phone goes to sleep and you press play. Does it play right away or is there a delay?
    Depends, if I press the play button, and didn't close the music app, it will play right away.... but if I do force close the app, it will have a delay of a couple of seconds... normally one second, but a couple tops if I'm making heavy use of the phone
    05-20-2013 07:02 PM
    Ok so I've tried doing multiple factory resets, down to not imputting a google account and not changing a single setting or doing any updates. The problem still exists. Im not sure how this can be a hardware issue considering everything else works, however I might have to go to ATT store to see what they can do about it.
    05-22-2013 01:38 PM
    OK so. I went to an ATT store and they ordered me a new phone as a warranty replacement. HOWEVER, I tried this on another friends S4 and confirmed that this is a SAMSUNG BUG and not just my phone. You guys are obviously not doing the same thing as me if you are not getting this error.
    Follow my steps exactly and you should experience it:
    1. restart phone, so that you don't have any kind of other apps that are actually keeping your phone from going to sleep.
    2. plug headphones in
    3. go to the BUILT IN music app.
    4. play a song and then pause it.
    5. press on the home key
    6. press on the power key to turn off the phones screen
    7. wait 30 seconds (actually happens after 5-10 seconds usually but 30 is a for sure)
    8. press play on your headphones.

You will see that the music does not start playing and the phone doesn't start playing till either a minute or so later or you wake up the screen manually.

Now I realize this is a specific set of instructions to reproduce this, but in reality it happens to me 95% of the time when I'm using this phone at the gym. I frequently pause and play between excersizes. I have found pandora does not suffer from this, however I've tried poweramp and it does. I've also tried different headset controller apps.
    05-22-2013 08:28 PM
    I think what is happening is your phone is going to sleep. Some apps use a wakelock to keep your phone from going to sleep. Try increasing your sleep timeout and see what happens. Remember, the higher your sleep timer the more battery you will use. Settings>Display>Sleep on my GNex.
    07-09-2013 10:08 PM
    I'm having the same issue. It's very annoying. It takes about 30 seconds or more for the song to start if i don't wake the phone up by pressing the power button or home button. I hope someone has a fix for this.

I'm also having problems with the double click (for next song). 50% of the time my double clicks register as a single click so it pauses the song. I'm not clicking too fast or too slow, it just seems like a glitch or something. I never had this issue on the iphone. I expect more out of this premium phone.
    07-25-2013 03:37 PM
    I am having the same problem. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    10-03-2013 11:28 AM
    I found the solution finally. Here it goes.

Download this app called HeadsetButton Controller. Go to settings;preference;advanced;prevent sleep mode. This app is also good for people who want to listen to previous track with their headset by clicking three times.

Cheers
    10-03-2013 11:42 AM
    ChronoTjai, you're the man! This issue was the biggest annoyance I had with my S4 and you solved it. Thank you.
    10-10-2013 11:57 AM
    Hi man, I also have the same issue with my S4. What version of Android did you have? I have the 4.3 Jelly Bean.
    Did this headset controller app really solved your problem?
    Do you think that in the future with a different version of Android the problem will be solved?
    I'm asking because now Samsung is trying to repair my phone but they have failed and my phone company is willing to give me another phone but I don't really want to because I love the Multi Windows function and some other features.

Please answer. Thank you!
    03-06-2014 12:52 PM