My phone should arrive today and I want to enable wireless charging.

From what i understand Samsung will release this accessory at some point but I don't really want to wait. I see you can buy the coil that goes between the battery and the back cover. From what i understaned, this will work with any QI wireless charging base/pad......

Has anyone found a superior product? Should I just wait for the official Samsung accessory?

-Kesnik
    05-21-2013 04:23 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Palm Touchstone is not the same as Qi. Two different technologies and not cross compatible. I would like to know for sure what tech Samsung will use in official charger as I have two Nokia Qi chargers collecting dust. I've heard all kinds of rumors for different wireless tech out of Samsung. As far as harmful rays, I think you're safe. Field is very small and unless you put charger in your pants plugged in, shouldn't have any problems.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-21-2013 06:06 AM
    It should work (I've seen a couple of posts here that have modified theirs, especially with the Palm Touchstone). BUT remember you're tampering with your phone. Warranty is TOTALLY void if you do this, and since you're messing with hardware and charging ports, YOU ARE AT RISK of potentially damaging your phone.
    05-21-2013 07:36 AM
    As clever as these technologies are, make sure you keep them switched OFF when not in use...

There are all kinds of harmful rays and radiation and who knows what else coming off these chargers!
    If your interested in safety information you should look it up...... making an uneducated / ignorant comment helps no one.

I happen to have an electronics degree and there are far more harmful things already in in your home then a wireless charging unit. Low voltage A/C passing through a coil to produce an electromagnetic pules (Harmful rays as you called them) to be received by the Coil in your phone (at a very very short distance) then rectified to DC. Were not exactly talking about neutron radiation here....I mean i wouldn't go to sleep with your ear on the thing but its otherwise safe....lol.

-Kesnik
    05-21-2013 07:46 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Palm Touchstone is not the same as Qi. Two different technologies and not cross compatible. I would like to know for sure what tech Samsung will use in official charger as I have two Nokia Qi chargers collecting dust. I've heard all kinds of rumors for different wireless tech out of Samsung. As far as harmful rays, I think you're safe. Field is very small and unless you put charger in your pants plugged in, shouldn't have any problems.

Posted via Android Central App
    At this point I would avoid Touchstone and stick with Qi technologies if you want something you can use in the future with other devices.

I've been debating picking up one of those coils that goes under the cover also ......

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Also I'd love to see a hack for a Qi charger built into a car dock so I can just put the phone in the dock and have it charge automagically.
    05-21-2013 08:35 AM
    My phone should arrive today and I want to enable wireless charging.

From what i understand Samsung will release this accessory at some point but I don't really want to wait. I see you can buy the coil that goes between the battery and the back cover. From what i understaned, this will work with any QI wireless charging base/pad......

Has anyone found a superior product? Should I just wait for the official Samsung accessory?

-Kesnik
    There are already 2 threads on this....

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-charging.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-charging.html
    05-21-2013 11:59 AM
    I have about 8 Palm Touchstone chargers lying around, and 0 Qi compatible products. At this point, getting a new S4 charging back for $10-20 is a drop in the bucket by comparison, and I can always change (get a Qi compatible back if it doesn't work out). Beats paying for another back and $30-60 each for a new stack of hockey pucks (new Palm pucks are still going for $5 and up, btw). Besides, it's less devices going to the trash, so I am reusing the stuff I am curious if the current output is significantly going to affect charging time. No offense, but avoiding Touchstone (in my case) is extremely wasteful in more ways than one. =)

At this point I would avoid Touchstone and stick with Qi technologies if you want something you can use in the future with other devices.

I've been debating picking up one of those coils that goes under the cover also ......

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Also I'd love to see a hack for a Qi charger built into a car dock so I can just put the phone in the dock and have it charge automagically.
    07-31-2013 08:56 AM