What is this "smearing" people are talking about?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't see it talked about as often here as other places but some people are saying this smearing is a deal breaker whatever it is. Can anyone elaborate?

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Finger prints from... touching the screen.

Mine gets smears, using a Spigen Glas.t screen protector. I just wipe it off
and get on with it.

John

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Mine gets smears, using a Spigen Glas.t screen protector. I just wipe it off
and get on with it.

John

are you serious?? i thought they were referring to some sort of color rendering issue or something haha

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes people complain... Just to feel important...lol

I'm with the other poster... Whip the screen off then on with it.. Lol

This Messages Was Shot From A Galaxy S4!

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site
actually, what they are talking on other forums about that "smearing", is that when you slowly scroll on black backgrounds, with gray options (such as in the settings menu, where background's gray, and the buttons and some other things are gray), while slowly scrolling, the gray will kind of turn a lil' bit purple or something like that...

personally i haven't seen anything like it, as my device does not have that problem apparently.... but you have to look with a lot of attention to notice as far as i've read

*edited to correct grammar typo

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I noticed it on mine, slight smearing when scrolling. Does anyone know if there will be a fix or is there something I can do to correct this?

Thanks

voot

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You can really see it when the brightness is set really high in a dark room. I noticed this mostly in the settings menu where the background is black and the font is white. Not a big deal though.

kirkhere

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Uh, that's a joke, right?

The so called "smearing" issue is easy to demonstrate on my shiny new 32 GB S4:
- Go into Settings
- Select the My Device tab
- Scroll up and down

Notice that the thin grey lines fade to purple as you scroll, and then return to grey when you stop. Notice that the larger grey bars like "Input and Control" turn purple on the edges while scrolling.

I haven't looked for the issue on multiple GS4's, but I suspect that it is just an attribute of the AMOLED display rather than an flaw or quality control problem that only affects certain phones. My PVA computer monitor does it some also, and it's related to the response time of the panel.

If it bothers you, then seek a phone with an LCD display like the HTC One or Optimus G Pro.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Just get a freakin screen protector...I have this anti-glare screen protector and leaves ZERO smear marks...phone looks fresh all the time

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Has samsung said anything about this are they going good to try to fix this? it's not a big deal but I do think they should address it

Posted via Android Central App

Distrack

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Has samsung said anything about this are they going good to try to fix this? it's not a big deal but I do think they should address it

This screen shows less finger prints than any previous phone I had. I ordered a screen protector but I probably wont use it. The feeling of the Gorilla Glass 3 is simply amazing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We can probably tell if it's device or software by having someone do the same test with AOSP on their device...

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree the gorilla glass 3 feels awesome and it's not that I'm trying to complain it's just I would have thought a device like this wouldn't have this, and it's not fingerprints I'm referring to its the actual words on the screen smearing while it's scrolling

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just get a freakin screen protector...I have this anti-glare screen protector and leaves ZERO smear marks...phone looks fresh all the time

Buy a screen protector to make up for smearing...which of course won't work.
Buy a case to make up for the cheap build quality and feel.
Buy an SD card which are slow and unreliable to make up for having only 9 GB of space.
Turn off as much as possible to make the phone somewhat lag free.
Anything else we can do for Samsung?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Buy a screen protector to make up for smearing...which of course won't work.
Buy a case to make up for the cheap build quality and feel.
Buy an SD card which are slow and unreliable to make up for having only 9 GB of space.
Turn off as much as possible to make the phone somewhat lag free.
Anything else we can do for Samsung?

1. Actually it does work, my screen never smears
2. Subjective opinion
3. Better than no SD Card
4. The features don't make the phone lag, most of the lag has been fixed by updates
...Nope, Samsung is doing a great job

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital