Email Syncing Options on Galaxy S4

LJFalloon

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got a new S4 yesterday and had no problem setting it up with our corporate (Exchange Server) e-mail ... but have one question. Under the settings "Period to sync email", what does the "Automatic" setting do? All the other ones are self explanatory. I have set to "1 month" now. That setting is too few, but "All" is too many. Can someone tell me what "Automatic" achieves? I searched all over but cannot find this explained.

Thanks,

LJF

kirkhere

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Good question. It might limit the sync to a certain number of messages instead of a date range, but that's just a guess. I just set mine to 1 month.

As an Exchange user, if you use Notes in Outlook and want to sync them to your phone, then you might want to check out Notes For Exchange:
[APP][1.6+/2+/4+] Notes for Exchange - xda-developers

I just set it up today and it seems to do the trick. I like the fact that it doesn't use an intermediary cloud service.

willowonyx

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you all can help with this but I used to have a Blackberry before the S4 and the email delete options were to delete the email selected on handheld only or handheld and master email server. But the S4 does not give that option.....or I am missing something.

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you all can help with this but I used to have a Blackberry before the S4 and the email delete options were to delete the email selected on handheld only or handheld and master email server. But the S4 does not give that option.....or I am missing something.

If you are connected via Exchange it syncs directly with the server so the mail is deleted from the server.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Well it is put in the delete folder on the server for which you can move to say like a storage folder or get back to folder like I have set up.

Gianni C

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have recently been having the same problems, Although mine were an abrupt change after having changed from previously using BlackBerrys, Droid-X and most recently HTC to using the new Samsung S4. I have recently (several days ago) upgraded to the Samsung 4S and use several emails Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and an original email that is out of the NYC area through Transbeam.com, which happens to be a POP based email server.

Here is the situation, because I do not have a lot of storage available on my Transbeam.com email server, I have my PC software (Outlook) set to remove all emails from the server after downloaded onto my computer. I use my S4 to download these emails first and then use computer in the evening to clear the online cue and save the emails I want to keep on my computer. The problem is, once this is done and my S4 then Syncs up with the email server, it removes all the emails that had previously been downloaded on the S4.

I have just reviewed this with Samsung online that there are no setting on the S4 to change this, as this is part of the current android version 4.2.2 and it does not support a time delay email erase from the device. In other words, the other phones mentioned above have a "keep email on phone for X days" which is what we need for our POP email accounts. Google and Hotmail have this sort of feature on the S4 in the settings, but it is not as necessary as the POP mail account... because the POP account does not have the amount of free storage as the other mail accounts mentioned.

The result: This will force me to return the S4 (which I like very much with the above exception) to change to the HTC ONE! All in All, it means configuring and transferring data / programs over to a new phone again and also taking several days to get familiarized with another phone and to a efficient operating space.

If anyone finds that there is an app that can correct this or if there is another email client app that can be loaded onto the S4 that retains the emails for "X" days, I would deeply appreciate knowing ASAP.

Thank you,

G

Gianni C

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Noisemaker... Thank you for suggesting using K-9 app as my email client! I had looked into this solution yesterday morning prior to you mentioning it, and You gave me the last push to pulling the trigger to just doing it. After a little bit of time becoming familiar with all the features and options that K-9 has, it worked out perfectly. I now am retaining my emails on my cell phone without the use of the Samsung S4 standard internal POP email client.

My only concern is if K-9 makes my email more susceptible to being monitors anymore than we are already being monitors... ;-)

Any other suggestion? If not, thank you for your suggestion.

Best,

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair