06-18-2014 07:17 AM
149 1234 ...
tools
    I am an iPhone user, but I have had Android phones in the past, and play around with many of my friends devices now, and I do not see the big problem with lag so many complain about. I mean the OSs feel different, but to say it lags is exaggerating. I had 2.3 device in the past, and it started to lag terribly, but so did my 3gs. I still have a 4s, and it doesnt lag in anyway I can really notice, and neither does my friends Note 2.

P.S. Dont tell anyone, but I have a friend with GS Mini, and it seemed quite quick to me as well. Can it be that Android lag is a NON-issue? Just Saying.
    05-23-2013 12:08 AM
    Project Butter helped, but it didn't fix it. It is pretty disappointing to see lag/ animation glitches. But on a Nexus device they are relatively minor and its a small price to pay for the functionality.

I seriously don't understand how the Samsung software people could have possibly signed off on The S4. It's so flipping laggy/stuttering. Yet there are still people in the S4 forum who pretend their S4 is lag free.

I really hope a 100% functional Google Edition ROM is developed on XDA for carrier edition S4's. I'm okay with being an update or two behind of it means getting AOSP on Verizon. It's not like the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was updated quickly anyhow.

AOSP + Verizon = unstoppable.

My International GS4 is relatively lag free. In back the only recognized lag I have experienced was when I installed Facebook home (which did state that it didn't fully support the GS4).
    I have never been a supporter of TouchWiz or SenseUI, but I must say that not all GS4 sold possess this lag that people are experiencing. Despite my dislike got TouchWiz, I can say that Samsung has done I relatively good job with the fluidity in the GS4 (in the version i have that is). I do use Nova Launcher though. I prefer to use it to get a Nexus experience until there is CM10 version available.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-23-2013 12:58 AM
    First and foremost, the samsung s4 is a beautiful and when i had a play didn't seem to lag, if you flick the screen fast on any phone including iphone it won't match your finger speed. This isn't lag, it was closest thing i could see on when I had a play with a few. Secondly, as stated before the site is a cult, a fan base subject to bias attitudes and beliefs. In saying this our beliefs can also be bias. Thirdly, an intern is hardly credible.... I know I am trying to get an internship at a well known accounting firm for my final year (there you have to apply sometimes a few years in advance) that wouldn't make me an expert accountant (I'm majoring in HR not accounting but I thought its a good office to potentially work in). Fourthly he could be an engineering failure like the hindenburg (Yes I stole that from a video - watch below)

05-23-2013 01:59 AM
    Also remember there is no multitasking in IOS that can facter in

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk
    iOS DOES have multitasking.
    05-23-2013 02:37 AM
    How multitasking really works on Android and iOS | ExtremeTech

True, although Androids' can be more functional. The only "true" mobile multitasking is Samsungs' Multi-window or various OEM or 3rd party hovering apps.

Tom
    05-23-2013 03:12 AM

True, although Androids' can be more functional. The only "true" mobile multitasking is Samsungs' Multi-window or various OEM or 3rd party hovering apps.

Tom
    Agreed. do not forget the fact that Androids multitasking can also be a battery hog.

Apple were very smart about implementing multi tasking with dual core device and 1450ma battery.
    05-23-2013 04:14 AM

Tom
    Well, if we must talk about multitasking, the BEST is WebOS!!!
    My original (from launch day) Palm Prē and my PalmPad (HP TouchPad) DO multitasking like nothing out there, and better too.

Unfortunately stupid HP and Leo Idioteker killed WebOS!!!

Oh well, I've been doing good in Android land and every time I had an iPhone I would get bored to death with it. And yes, all devices lag from time to time. That won't prevent me from getting a GS4 or HTC One in a few weeks. :beer:

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
    TomsAndroid and Golfdriver97 like this.
    05-23-2013 05:07 AM
    Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
    Does Sprint have LTE in your area? I held onto my Photon long into LTE device releases to maintain WiMAX coverage.

There is a ROM somewhere that makes the Photon more tolerable. MOF something or other. Plus turning your wifi setting to 'never sleep' will save your battery if your by wifi all day.

05-23-2013 07:29 AM
    Its a different form of multitasking designed to save battery life. Which it does. It is Unix after all and process keep running, but application processes can halt or a portion of them run depending on what the developer wants to do. This also has zero to do with why iOS has always been lag free. Read the article you are commenting on as it explains why. iOS multitasking has nothing to do with it.
    Project Butter and Jelly Bean have been huge improvements but even my Nexus 4 lags at times.
    Some S 4 owners are making some really ridiculous excuses for Samsung's bloated OS and lag issues. Project Butter can't fix Samsung's lag issues as Samsung continues to get further and further away from core Android.
    At least if you only use one type of phone you don't notice the lag as much but go to something almost lag free like a Nexus 4 or lag free like any iPhone ever made and you will certainly notice the difference.

Also remember there is no multitasking in IOS that can facter in

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk
    Yes they were and are. Look at Anandtech's test of battery life and compare the iPhone 5 and S 4. That's with a much smaller battery but a more efficient OS design. Running apps through a jvm also uses a lot of memory and impacts battery life compared to compiled apps. Instead of making excuses Android owners should be demanding better.
    Quad core and above on Android is nothing but a spec sheet gimmick. Watch the os and apps through a profiler and you will see they make little to no use of more than two cores. More than that just sucks up battery life and creates heat which is why my Nexus 4 has to throttle down so often.

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 4 Review - Part 1

Agreed. do not forget the fact that Androids multitasking can also be a battery hog.

Apple were very smart about implementing multi tasking with dual core device and 1450ma battery.
    WebOS had its own issues especially with major memory leak problems. They never had enough developer resources to make it what it should be and the hardware was pretty awful. It could have been much more.

Well, if we must talk about multitasking, the BEST is WebOS!!!
    05-23-2013 08:49 AM
    Does Sprint have LTE in your area? I held onto my Photon long into LTE device releases to maintain WiMAX coverage.

There is a ROM somewhere that makes the Photon more tolerable. MOF something or other. Plus turning your wifi setting to 'never sleep' will save your battery if your by wifi all day.

No LTE officially, but my sister her husband and a lot of people that have the GS3 get LTE in and around here. I also kept my Photon so I could enjoy WiMax instead of a new phone with only 3G. Now in a few weeks my contract ends and I will be able to upgrade.

or lag free like any iPhone ever made
    This is not true, made me laugh so hard

TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 09:06 AM
    This thread is funny. To listen to some people you would think there is never lag on iOS devices. Ever. Conversely Android does nothing but lag. Neither statement or impression is true. All devices lag at some point. Even a computer does.
    They both lag. Android just does it a whole lot more so far.
    Etios and TomsAndroid like this.
    05-23-2013 09:12 AM
    They both lag. Android just does it a whole lot more so far.
    This is true. However, that would be because Android has more functions. You can do so much more, so there's more information and tasks to process. I will take a device that has minor lag if it means I can do a heck of a lot more than a basic, simple device that still has lag, just less. If Apple had ZERO lag, it MIGHT start approaching the stage of being worth it. Otherwise i'll stick to the more fulfilling experience that Android offers.
    gummyjelly and TomsAndroid like this.
    05-23-2013 01:02 PM
    Yeah, who cares if Iphones lag or not, if you're not interested in the phone whatsoever to begin with. lol
    05-23-2013 01:42 PM
    Registered here. Posted only 2 times (this being one) and having a very out of date article.

These are the threads that are completely here for discussion that is healthy... :rolleyes:.

Attempting the report button.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 01:48 PM
    Yeah, my Nexus 7 lagged and froze like crazy. I don't know why Google didn't fix it, the Nexus 4 is dead smooth...
    I've owned two n7s and it lags like hell on any rom, even overclocked. Just a horrid tablet. That's why I was looking forward to the n7 refresh with a quad and 2gb ram.

As far as the s4 lag, yeah its there and it sucks. Even if you debloat and turn off all features it lags. The lg g pro has the same lag issues. Its all the gimmicky features. I've eliminated most of my lag by replacing the framework-res animations with stock android ones. Helped but I think the real solution will be aosp.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 02:45 PM
    I've had all the iPhone (besides the 5) and yes the iPhone's do have lag! Since I downloaded nova launcher I have noticed almost no lag on my s4.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 03:05 PM
    Does the One lag? Same chipset for the Qualcomm version. I am wondering if the 1080 display is the issue and the gpu is having issues with it. Either that, or there could be some funny excessive polling going on even when the sensors are turned off via software. I remember somebody posting that the sensors are selling drawing power when off.

Maybe the software is only turning the data and system output from the sensors, but to the chipset, they are on as far as resources are concerned.

Maybe the sensors gates can not be turned off from a chipset standpoint and only the output is.
    05-23-2013 03:09 PM
    Both OS's lag. The problem for both is the user more than the OS itself, so like everything else you can point a finger all you want but there's gonna be 3 pointing back.
    05-23-2013 03:18 PM
    My Galaxy Nexus lags like crazy on stock (verizon version) but with Paranoid Android, CM 10.1 and Project Elite, it is smoother than a short bus on a cloud. The Nexus 7 (stock, unlocked, rooted) I have does experience lag for about the first 2 minutes after a restart and the first 5 seconds after an unlock, after that it's good. It's like it's sleeping and feeling a little groggy, but quickly puts on it's R2D2 game face and gets to work. We're not getting the hyper-drive to work with a tired, cranky bubble bot, ALL HANDS ON DECK!

- - - Updated - - -

Both OS's lag. The problem for both is the user more than the OS itself, so like everything else you can point a finger all you want but there's gonna be 3 pointing back.
    What if you point... THREE fingers?
    05-23-2013 03:39 PM
    My Galaxy Nexus lags like crazy on stock (verizon version) but with Paranoid Android, CM 10.1 and Project Elite, it is smoother than a short bus on a cloud. The Nexus 7 (stock, unlocked, rooted) I have does experience lag for about the first 2 minutes after a restart and the first 5 seconds after an unlock, after that it's good. It's like it's sleeping and feeling a little groggy, but quickly puts on it's R2D2 game face and gets to work. We're not getting the hyper-drive to work with a tired, cranky bubble bot, ALL HANDS ON DECK!

- - - Updated - - -

What if you point... THREE fingers?
    You still got that pinkey pointing back at you
    05-23-2013 03:54 PM
    I've had all the iPhone (besides the 5) and yes the iPhone's do have lag! Since I downloaded nova launcher I have noticed almost no lag on my s4.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    No where near as much as Android devices(N4's are the exception)
    05-23-2013 04:01 PM
    Does the One lag? Same chipset for the Qualcomm version. I am wondering if the 1080 display is the issue and the gpu is having issues with it. Either that, or there could be some funny excessive polling going on even when the sensors are turned off via software. I remember somebody posting that the sensors are selling drawing power when off.

Maybe the software is only turning the data and system output from the sensors, but to the chipset, they are on as far as resources are concerned.

Maybe the sensors gates can not be turned off from a chipset standpoint and only the output is.
    I had the one and there was no lag. I got rid of it only because I prefer the s4 LCD. Plus the ones metal body screws with your signal.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 04:10 PM
    No where near as much as Android devices(N4's are the exception)
    I beg to differ. Every iOS device I had lagged. The only phone that never lagged was my HTC one and note 2, even stock. IOS isn't smooth as butter by any means.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 04:12 PM
    I beg to differ. Every iOS device I had lagged. The only phone that never lagged was my HTC one and note 2, even stock. IOS isn't smooth as butter by any means.
    it is smooth though. I have an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 here. They are very smooth.
    05-23-2013 04:21 PM
    That article is from 2011. From what I've read, Project Butter is supposed to have fixed the lag.
    And it does. The Nexus 4 is as smooth as any iPhone I have ever used.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 04:27 PM
149 1234 ...