Why Android Will Always Be Laggier Than iOS

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
This is true. I have always defended the way BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 multitask as the only true multitasking that is built into a mobile OS. Besides this, Multi window may be the only exceptions. With all this talk of multitasking and power, there has never been a try multitasking mobile OS until recently.

Posted via Android Central App

Um.. WebOS? That's where BlackBerry copied it from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Really? My Nexus 7 is WAY smooth...it was the main reason I decided to buy a Nexus 4 in the first place. No hint of lag at all that I can see on the 7.

I find it interesting how you say the galaxy s4 lags but found the nexus 7 to be smooth. That is the complete opposite from the truth. The nexus 7 is a true definition of lag. The key board lags the transition lags. Every input feels delayed. I run cm10 on mine and my gs3 runs rings around it. Hell my wife's stock gs3 is much faster. Did you even use a gs4 in person because the one I played with was pretty damn smooth. I guess there is a difference from model to model and I do believe the studdering does exist. But to find the nexus 7 smooth is a joke. The tegra 3 is a joke just like the tegra 2.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting how you say the galaxy s4 lags but found the nexus 7 to be smooth. That is the complete opposite from the truth. The nexus 7 is a true definition of lag. The key board lags the transition lags. Every input feels delayed. I run cm10 on mine and my gs3 runs rings around it. Hell my wife's stock gs3 is much faster. Did you even use a gs4 in person because the one I played with was pretty damn smooth. I guess there is a difference from model to model and I do believe the studdering does exist. But to find the nexus 7 smooth is a joke. The tegra 3 is a joke just like the tegra 2.

nVidia is over rated because they are a reputable GPU designer. the A5 and A6 crush tegras.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I do not doubt that for one second. The only tegra worth mentioning is the tegra 4 since it will be based off A15 chips.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
nVidia is over rated because they are a reputable GPU designer. the A5 and A6 crush tegras.

Tegra 3 maybe, but not Tegra 4.

The issue with the Nexus 7 is related to the NAND being slow, not the memory interface (which is a performance bottleneck, but not the cause of sluggishness while updating apps).

Anyway, the potential for lag is there with any device. I've used my One next to an iPhone 5. They performed at least the same.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Um.. WebOS? That's where BlackBerry copied it from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

HAHA I was about to say that.. I started off my smartphone life with a Pre, and no OS has come close to that implementation. WebOS had other issues, but it did multitasking well.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Tegra 3 maybe, but not Tegra 4.

The issue with the Nexus 7 is related to the NAND being slow, not the memory interface (which is a performance bottleneck, but not the cause of sluggishness while updating apps).

Anyway, the potential for lag is there with any device. I've used my One next to an iPhone 5. They performed at least the same.

I would expect massive speed enhancements going with ARM's A15 chip architecture.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This is true. I have always defended the way BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 multitask as the only true multitasking that is built into a mobile OS. Besides this, Multi window may be the only exceptions. With all this talk of multitasking and power, there has never been a try multitasking mobile OS until recently.

Uhmm...seriously! They copy the TRUE multitasking of WebOS!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Why on earth would iOS lag when it open to the app drawer 100% of the time and had no widgets running? My S4 is just as fast and maybe faster in app drawer mode lol! You folks crack me up sometimes...

Because it, like all computing devices have processors that can hang for a second waiting for data to be fetched? Because somthing somewhere can get corupted? Because updates sometimes bork things and make them run worse? Lots of reasons.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I can make the iPhone or S4 lag. It's all in how fast you use it. Then again, I've never took the reins off my processor (always in power save mode). The S4 is as smooth as iPhone or the One (IMO). Never tried a nexus. This is my first android and it's fantastic. TouchWiz isn't terrible either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

What iPhone did you use lol my iPhone 5 it's way snapper and more responsive then my gs4 is and the iPhone 5 is a dual core cpu

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well deserved...I might add. ;)

I honestly consider any lag or animation stutter unacceptable. The iPhone has no lag and the Nexus S4 has next to no lag...by that measure, the S4 is horrible. It also doesn't help that TouchWiz looks like it was developed by a 5 year old. HTC's Sense looks LOADS better, much more professional, sleek and modern.

They day the GE S4 ROM is available for the Verizon S4, I'm right there with ya. In the mean time, I'm curious to see what Motorola and Apple announce this summer. I doubt though, it will trump a Nexus experience on the S4.

Try this, it should help immensely. :)

If tw looks like a 5 yo made it what does iOS look like seeing as it looks worse.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S for work and a Note 2 for personal, and I can assure you that the iPhone lags like a mofo while the Note 2 zips through everything.

Not a fanboy of either phone/OS.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I honestly consider any lag or animation stutter unacceptable. The iPhone has no lag and the Nexus S4 has next to no lag...by that measure, the S4 is horrible. It also doesn't help that TouchWiz looks like it was developed by a 5 year old.

I take you dont have a PC then or think your PC is horrible? Cuz like it was mentioned......even PC's lag at times.... And that must be a very talented 5 y.o. that developed Touchwiz. Like it was said before......things are not as bad as some ppl make it..... Android isnt a lag fest and the iPhone can lag. IMO....if one wanted the least laggiest experience.....they should get a WP....

That article suggests that iOS will always be slower than Android at doing everything except for animation if you ever touch your phone. It's a small philosophical difference as to whether nice looking animations or processing performance are more important. I understand why Apple made animation the top priority, UI in mobile devices is super important and it does look super nice and professional that way. However, I like knowing that my phone can decide that stuff like answering a call, rendering a page or doing some background processing might be more important than smooth animation. I'd rather get from point A to point B in the fastest possible way, not the "smoothest."

I was thinking the exact same thing.....looks like Apple made the UI, animations a priority and Google made multi tasking a priority.... Well.....seems I made the right choice for me then. Thanks Cult of Mac for reminding me I did.... :cool: And I hope it never changes...

Last edited:

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Came from a Iphone 5 and I am having some hard time adapting to the lgginess in my GS4....

Really? You honestly think it's that bad?! I only have an S3 at the moment (I have a *ahem* different brand Android phone on order) and that stutters and lags sometimes, and my limited use of the S4 seemed to be similar, but it wasn't so bad that I struggled to use either I know it's there, but surely guys. it isn't THAT bad?! 90% of the time it's unnoticeable isn't it? Or not?

-R

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
it is smooth though. I have an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 here. They are very smooth.

No one can argue that. Because smooth is relative. I think my S3 is pretty dang smooth. Some might find it unusable. I could say an iPhone 4s is unusable, while someone else thinks it's smooth. It's cool we're all happy, so who cares what everyone else thinks about one another's experience?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I find it interesting how you say the galaxy s4 lags but found the nexus 7 to be smooth. That is the complete opposite from the truth. The nexus 7 is a true definition of lag.
Maybe you got a defective one. Mine is as smooth as my Nexus 4. To me the nexus 7 is the closest thing to a perfect tablet on the market.

The key board lags the transition lags. Every input feels delayed. I run cm10 on mine
Maybe that is the problem. I am running stock.

Did you even use a gs4 in person because the one I played with was pretty damn smooth.
I have a video showing a direct comparison with the nexus 4. The Maps in particular were very laggy.

Google Nexus 4 vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 - YouTube

Time index 3:40. Watch when he zooms in on the map.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
who cares what everyone else thinks about one another's experience?
Anyone that posts in these forums cares. That is the whole point of these threads.

These are not just p*ssing contests to me. I have used these threads to determine purchases before. I think user experiences and opinions are valuable and want to hear them. Both from the Fanboys and the Haters.