09-03-2013 07:28 AM
85 1234
tools
    Ive had nothing but praise for my s4

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-23-2013 08:08 PM
    Every review I saw mentioned the slight lag/stuttering so not sure where you looked to see reviews but they all mentioned it. It seemed to be fixed with the update that was pushed to the US versions. Maybe you got a lemon?
    05-23-2013 08:12 PM
    Why is it that BEFORE the S4 was released, everyone knew that enabling superficial features came at the cost of performance & battery life? Seems to me that a lot of people got dumb real fast once they got an S4 in their hands, including half the reviewers. From day one I set mine up for performance, and I haven't seen a single blip of stutter or lag. This is the reason there are "performance" "conservative" etc etc modes. If you buy a new Corvette, don't load the whole family into it and then complain that it's just not cornering or accelerating the way it should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Some people just like complaining, happens everytime a new phone is released the first couple days you have the people saying "this phone sucks it has X issues blah blah blah" like no phone ever had issues that got patched with updates. I mean look at the iphone and all the issues it had. Either give it time for samsung to issue updates or return it and wait and see if they update it and it corrects the issues.
    planoman likes this.
    05-23-2013 08:19 PM
    Before getting my Galaxy S4, I also wondered why reviewers didn't mention this lag that so many persons had experienced and complained about in forums. After getting the GS4, I couldn't even force it to lag. I still a very fast device with no lag whatsoever.
    It should be notes that I have over 100 apps filling limited 8.9GB to the max. But I also have a custom ROM that I used to help get root. After the first major firmware update I wasnt able to root and had to get a ROM that was capable of doing this. So I essentially have close to original firmware.

Posted via Android Central App
    neiljay6 and rfortson like this.
    05-23-2013 08:23 PM
    I have had my S4 since the AT&T brick and mortar release date and have a few things to say about the stuttering/lag. I can't speak for the HTC One but I do have an iPad 3 (First Retina Ipad) and it definitely feels just as stuttery or laggy as the S4 if not more. I noticed certain activities like swiping to the search page always generates animation freezes and launching apps typically takes much longer on the iPad then it does on the S4. As an owner of Android devices since the Motorola Milestone/Droid I think devices have come such a long way for what they accomplish now.
    I'm not sure what the problem could be with your iPad 3, but mine is jailbroken and is absolutely lag-free.
    05-23-2013 08:30 PM
    Why would iPhone lag? It does not have widgets and is open on the app drawer all the time.
    But to be fair, the iPhone doesn't have a 1.9Ghz quad-core cpu or two gigs of RAM, either.
    05-23-2013 08:37 PM
    But to be fair, the iPhone doesn't have a 1.9Ghz quad-core cpu or two gigs of RAM, either.
    True but even the fastest car at a stop is just that, stopped. It takes seconds to get the mass moving regardless of the engine. The iphone more or less at the ready due to its design interface and less processing power so to speak, is needed to perform a task. Why do you think apple has resisted the calls of the masses for widgets etc? They know it would cause lag and severe hiccups. Just two different OS but some folks compare them like apple to apples. I mean if you put a live wallpaper on iOS it would pretty much be like a iPhone 3GS trying to run iOS 5...

But I still have and use my iPhone 5...it has it uses!
    05-23-2013 08:44 PM
    True but even the fastest car at a stop is just that, stopped. It takes seconds to get the mass moving regardless of the engine. The iphone more or less at the ready due to its design interface and less processing power so to speak, is needed to perform a task. Why do you think apple has resisted the calls of the masses for widgets etc? They know it would cause lag and severe hiccups. Just two different OS but some folks compare them like apple to apples. I mean if you put a live wallpaper on iOS it would pretty much be like a iPhone 3GS trying to run iOS 5...

But I still have and use my iPhone 5...it has it uses!
    To be honest. I've had live wallpaper on an iPhone (several years ago) and it ran just fine. I have an Android now, but I still have my iPhone. Just relating my personal experience.
    05-23-2013 08:48 PM
    To be honest. I've had live wallpaper on an iPhone (several years ago) and it ran just fine. I have an Android now, but I still have my iPhone. Just relating my personal experience.
    I stand corrected. I did not know iphone could run live wallpapers...
    05-23-2013 09:02 PM
    I stand corrected. I did not know iphone could run live wallpapers...
    Granted, it was a jailbroken iPhone.
    05-23-2013 09:57 PM
    So the s4 is one of the fastest phones, yet it lags so much that people are giving the phone away?

Um... okay
    It's one of the fastest... when it's not lagging ;-)
    05-23-2013 11:28 PM
    I have had the S4 for 4 daysandIdo see lag when scrolling in apps and on webpages. I am coming from iPhone so it is noticeable to me, as my 4s didn't experience this. However I do not see a home screen lag or animation lag. Just stutters scrolling. Not sure if that is because of touch wiz or not? I am new to Android so I am looking for a solution.
    05-24-2013 12:21 AM
    Every review I saw mentioned the slight lag/stuttering so not sure where you looked to see reviews but they all mentioned it. It seemed to be fixed with the update that was pushed to the US versions. Maybe you got a lemon?
    I've seen that comment in several threads and it may well be the answer for different user experiences that we see reported. We may not be talking about the same thing.

The S4 is fast. Especially in games. Benchmarks though DO NOT adhere to real world performance. Touchwiz makes the S4 stutter. Touchwiz makes the S4 lag. Getting rid of touchwiz makes the S4 blaze!! BUT, I shouldn't have to use a new launcher or turn off features just to get a smooth experience or decent battery life. I gave the S4 to my daughter and I went with HTC's One. I couldn't be happier!
    PC MAGAZINE:..."but it also did unusually well on Basemark OS, which launches real applications""

Well, that seems to address the real world issues pointedly.

Conversely, I think we also need to remember that while benchmarks sometimes do not mirror real world performance, they do reflect objective and--even more important!--controlled tests, while "real world" situations have many variables that have zip to do with the actual phone--including misbehaving applications, poorly designed add-ons, OS oddities (Jelly Bean changed its launcher from 4.1 to 4.2), slow networks, and to be fair, users without much experience in judging such things (not aimed at you!).

There's no computer in the world that I know of that is instantaneous every moment on every thing. When computers do a lot, they work harder. They increasingly do a lot on these "phones." They aren't really phones any more.

This is simply the fastest phone I've seen, and I'm using lots of apps, including many that used to completely stall my older phones; and I've also turned on lots of stuff like hover, air gesture and so on.
    rfortson likes this.
    05-24-2013 06:34 AM
    The iPhone lags at times as well the difference is that it doesn't have janky TW animations that pop out to the end user as lag. Get an iPhone and S4 now open an app and then hit the home button see which one lags behind the other. The HTC One probably does feel faster then the S4 it should it's strip down version of android and lacks all of the functions on the S4. Now run bench marks against each other and show me where the S4 lags the One.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    05-24-2013 07:44 AM
    They really did mention the lag, but let everyone know they were using pre-release software and not to use that as the standard to evaluate how it would be when released to the public.
    BOSSY TEXAS CHICK likes this.
    05-24-2013 03:47 PM
    They really did mention the lag, but let everyone know they were using pre-release software and not to use that as the standard to evaluate how it would be when released to the public.
    Yeah, i think i was hoping it'd all be worked out before release, but within minutes of using it, i was like, :huh"? The S3 wasn't like this, i thought this would be sooooo much better becuse of the updated specs, resolution jump, updated features, etc. The truth is, (to me) it was such a letdown. It wasn't JUST the lag, it was the entire experience, i couldn't put my finger on it, MONTHS of waiting, reading & re-reading everything that even mentioned the S4, this wasn't the experience i was hoping to have. I was expecting the S3 but on steroids, but instead it almost felt like i got the S3's grandpa....lol

Becuz i was sure it would be better once i put ADW Ex on it and disabled some settings it would be MUCH better, i bought it anyway, but the experience did NOT improve, it actually worsened....

I was at AT&T store looking at flip covers and saw the LG O Pro, i instantly knew i was on the wrong phone....the speed, the buttery smoothness, the feel of the glass, the big beautiful screen wthout looking/feeling phablet like, it ticks every single box and MOST especially, not just in benchmarks but in REAL WORLD USE...Every application flies open, executes like lightening and never ever lags... Same processor, S4 clocked higher, so what gives?

I have used or owned every single Samsung flagship device, and trust me when i tell you, the average person wouldn't notice it, but to a "trained eye", someone over at Samsung was asleep at the wheel in the software design. i do think in looks, styling and specs the S4 is the best phone from Samsng YET, however the "experience" is not. Something is screwed up in how it all comes together, and i stand by that.

BTC
    05-24-2013 07:14 PM
    I just have to say that the S4 does indeed lag...it has the same snapdragon 600 quad core as the Optimus G Pro. The S4 is over clocked to 1.9GHz and the OG Pro is at 1.7GHz and does not lag. I played with the Note 2, GS4 & OG Pro and the lag of the Samsung devices was the first thing I noticed. I was a Samsung fan (Ive had all the samsung flagships since the original Galaxy S). Dont get me wrong, Samsung makes awesome phones, they just seem to have been one up'd this round. The Note 3 will probably be top notch and do away with the complaints of the S4.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-24-2013 09:32 PM
    I have had the S4 for 4 daysandIdo see lag when scrolling in apps and on webpages. I am coming from iPhone so it is noticeable to me, as my 4s didn't experience this. However I do not see a home screen lag or animation lag. Just stutters scrolling. Not sure if that is because of touch wiz or not? I am new to Android so I am looking for a solution.
    Talking about phones generally some apps and web pages stutter no matter how capable the phone. On my Note 2 some apps and web pages stutter but most others are buttery smooth.
    05-24-2013 10:15 PM
    Unless you are specifically trying to make the phone lag, it won't for the first few weeks.

I hadn't noticed lag on my s3 for 3 weeks until after I bought the phone and that is an s3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-24-2013 10:16 PM
    I took some time to play with my friend's S4, and I noticed this, too. I thought it was just his, because what could possibly make a Snapdragon 600 and 2GB of RAM lag so often?? I went down to an AT&T store a few days later and the same thing happened there. In my experience, it happens mostly when opening/closing apps and typing too fast on the keyboard. It also happens on tons of S3's. My One has lagged maybe two or three times since I got it on launch day.
    It's clearly a battle of Touchwiz vs Sense, and as of now, I think Sense is winning. Not to be a fanboy, but if you're told to disable all those features (gimmicks) to increase performance, then what's the point of having a new, flagship device?? Blinkfeed has never lagged for me, not once. I think it's time Sammy gives Touchwiz a revamp like HTC did with Sense. It's old and looks like a toddler's toy.
    TomsAndroid and ternell99 like this.
    05-24-2013 10:46 PM
    i did along research and found the lag is with OCTA CORE VARIANT ONLY . it seams the phone cant decide which set of core to use and itself get confuse doing so and lags alot. I think Samsung just hurried up to the name of getting octacore.

regarding tec site. most of them just write reviews to satisfied the masses people think s4 is good( even they didnt ever seen it) so they cant mention bad about it. it might make them look idiotic and all Samsung fan boys would jump to critise the site.
    08-11-2013 09:27 AM
    The American version works great. Bluetooth playing and searching the internet or facebooking no problem at all. Do a factory reset with the new update just in case.
    08-21-2013 11:14 AM
    I'm not seeing it. Granted, I've only had the phone a few weeks, but I've loaded it up with a good bit of crap, and have several of the Samsung bells/whistles turned on and I just don't see any lagging.
    08-21-2013 04:12 PM
    Using Nova Launcher Prime and Swiftkey solves a lot of the problems. I hate Touchwiz so that's why I love android. I can customize to my hearts content
    08-21-2013 05:16 PM
    I've had my S4 since this past Saturday and haven't had any issues thus far. I was a long time apple user with a DROID milestone and s3 in between. All of the issues I had with the s3 seemed to be solved in this iteration. For the keyboard issues try swiftkey. Much snappier and much better autocorrect than any phone or keyboard I've ever used.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    08-21-2013 05:31 PM
85 1234