05-24-2013 10:00 PM
28 12
tools
    Coming from the iPhone 5 I really like the HTC One. The design is great. The few things that bother me is charge time but I can get past that and the lack if a physical home button. I was thinkingif switching to the galaxy s4 but not sure. The touchwiz looks kinda old. And really. Who is going to usr all of the stuff in the phone. But it's lighter. Like the feel if it as well.

Opinions. Should I stay or should I go.

Posted via Android Central App

05-23-2013 06:04 AM
    I traded my one for the s4 and don't regret it, nor miss apple, but I love it even more since I started using nova launcher I agree about touch wiz, as far as the features some I do use some I dont

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    05-23-2013 07:23 AM
    I had the HTC one for a couple of days, it's a great phone but the battery and charge time annoyed me as well. I too thought the sgs 4 was loaded with gimmicks, which I now know aren't as gimmicky as I thought. I'm happier with the sgs 4. The battery and charge time are better than on the one. HTC made a great phone, but from what you wrote you'll like the switch. Like I said I'm eating my words as far as calling the sgs 4 gimmicky.

madlaw1071 and briankbart1 like this.
    05-23-2013 07:23 AM
    I had the HTC one for a couple of days, it's a great phone but the battery and charge time annoyed me as well. I too thought the sgs 4 was loaded with gimmicks, which I now know aren't as gimmicky as I thought. I'm happier with the sgs 4. The battery and charge time are better than on the one. HTC made a great phone, but from what you wrote you'll like the switch. Like I said I'm eating my words as far as calling the sgs 4 gimmicky.

Really. Today is my 15 day trial end so I need to do it today. The problem if I swith I can't switch back.

05-23-2013 08:02 AM

What doctor like and dislike about the two devices

05-23-2013 08:03 AM
    This. I even use Nova Launcher with my Nexus 4 and I like stock Android quite a lot.

I traded my one for the s4 and don't regret it, nor miss apple, but I love it even more since I started using nova launcher I agree about touch wiz, as far as the features some I do use some I dont

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    05-23-2013 09:12 AM
    These are only my opinions but I think the sgs 4 feels better as well as more durable. I like the camera options better as well. Recording from front and back cameras at once come in handy more than you'd think. That sums up the sgs 4 for me the features are more useful than you'd think. HTC made a great phone no doubt. But I feel the 32 gig sgs 4 will be better in the long run. I definitely recommend the 32 gig version. I have no regrets at all.

05-23-2013 02:03 PM
    I too returned the HTC one for the galaxy s4, n before that had the s3 n before that all the iPhone's (besides the 5). The HTC one is heavy, the screen is much smaller than the s4 but the HTC is bigger. The font on the HTC cannot be changed, there's a black bar at the bottom of a lot of apps due to the fact that there's no menu key (developers fault but most of them won't fix it) . The back n home keys r not very responsive and I think that's before their so small (I have very small fingers) . I am glad I got the s4. I don't regret it one bit and I don't think u will either. Touch wiz doesn't bother me, it could use some updating but it works. I also have heard HTC barely send any updates out, at least with samsung u know you will get an update all the time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    05-23-2013 03:57 PM
    I too returned the HTC one for the galaxy s4, n before that had the s3 n before that all the iPhone's (besides the 5). The HTC one is heavy, the screen is much smaller than the s4 but the HTC is bigger. The font on the HTC cannot be changed, there's a black bar at the bottom of a lot of apps due to the fact that there's no menu key (developers fault but most of them won't fix it) . The back n home keys r not very responsive and I think that's before their so small (I have very small fingers) . I am glad I got the s4. I don't regret it one bit and I don't think u will either. Touch wiz doesn't bother me, it could use some updating but it works. I also have heard HTC barely send any updates out, at least with samsung u know you will get an update all the time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    I am making the switch tomorrow
    gummyjelly likes this.
    05-23-2013 04:03 PM
    I've got the S4's big brother the Note 2 and I couldn't be happier. To me I'll take a plastic phone that is less prone to scratches and won't dent all day long. Add in the ability to carry a spare battery or get a larger one and expandable memory and to me there is no comparison. As for touchwiz, just do like others have said and put Nova launcher on it. I don't think you'll regret it at all.
    05-23-2013 04:07 PM
    I am making the switch tomorrow
    I had the ONE for 13 days and liked it but traded it for the S4 (coming from the S3) as I thought I would love it. BUT, there were just too many things that got on my nerves. The hiccups here and there, jitteriness at times, the gimmicks only work half the time, the "colorful" icons make it look cartoonish, and battery life that sucked but I could go on. So I gave the S4 to my daughter and I went and got the stealth black "one" and I couldn't be happier. The One looks more professional, more fluid, battery lasts all day with moderate use and a few other things that turned me to it. As far as charging times, it trickle charges so the battery will last for years. Rapid charging (like on the S4) diminishes battery life over time (just google li-ion, li-poly best way to charge).

As far as updates, HTC doesn't need updates as often cause it works like it should. Samsung seems to have to update software to get it to work right....but to Sammy's defense, their updates usually add new features. The One is getting 4.2.2 soon as it is already leaked so that is a plus. Most of what I said are soley my opinion to my personal preference but to be honest, you can't go wrong with either phone.
    05-23-2013 04:25 PM
    Sorry but anybody else had the Clash song going through their head when they read the thread title?
    aggie and madlaw1071 like this.
    05-23-2013 05:31 PM
    I upgraded from S3 to a One. The physical design is nice. But that is when it ended. I begin to dislike few things from the One. Camera is bad, menu bar is suck and few other misc things. Out of the box, One is very snappy. At the end, I went with S4. Few essential apps are more polished and suitable for business class. Camera is very good. For some reason after weeks with S4, I think S4 looks nicer than One now.... S4 is beautiful on its own way. S4 requires some tweaking to be snappy like One. All in all, IMO, I think S4 is a big better class phone.

gummyjelly and orion575 like this.
    05-23-2013 07:06 PM
    I upgraded from S3 to a One. The physical design is nice. But that is when it ended. I begin to dislike few things from the One. Camera is bad, menu bar is suck and few other misc things. Out of the box, One is very snappy. At the end, I went with S4. Few essential apps are more polished and suitable for business class. Camera is very good. For some reason after weeks with S4, I think S4 looks nicer than One now.... S4 is beautiful on its own way. S4 requires some tweaking to be snappy like One. All in all, IMO, I think S4 is a big better class phone.

I couldn't agree more about that awful camera. Felt like I was back 5 years.
    orion575 and briankbart1 like this.
    05-23-2013 07:19 PM
    As of right now I have both the HTC One and the S4 and I prefer the HTC by far. The speakers spoiled me, the phone overall is super fast and more responsive than the galaxy. The camera is not as good as the s4 but it's still pretty decent, for what most people use it which is it Facebook or instagram. The stock apps are so so much better than stock Samsung apps. It's not perfect but the one feels better and more modern in terms of Os

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-23-2013 07:25 PM
    As many have said, both are great phone. It really comes down to personal preference at this point. There is no need to say: mine is bigger than yours any more. I chose, to go with S4 just because Samsung has deeper pocket. I think the enhancement and update with keep on coming to S4 in the long run, say KLP.

orion575 and briankbart1 like this.
    05-23-2013 07:32 PM
    I had both and kept the HTC ONE, I gave the s4 to my three year old daughter, and she loves it!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    05-23-2013 07:32 PM

How do i make it more snappy...Sorry...im coming from the Apple side of things...i had the 3,4,4s,5
    05-23-2013 07:46 PM
    One of the thing you can do is scale down the animation or turn it off all together. Setting, about phone, tab on build num about 7 times. That will enable devloper mode that will allow you to turn off those animations. I set those three scales to off on mine. Other also said turning off s-voice also help. I turn off my air gesture also.

briankbart1 likes this.
    05-23-2013 08:17 PM
    Btw: I also came from iphone 3,4 to s3 and now s4.

I also use nova launcher.

briankbart1 likes this.
    05-23-2013 08:20 PM
    I had the ONE for 13 days and liked it but traded it for the S4 (coming from the S3) as I thought I would love it. BUT, there were just too many things that got on my nerves. The hiccups here and there, jitteriness at times, the gimmicks only work half the time, the "colorful" icons make it look cartoonish, and battery life that sucked but I could go on. So I gave the S4 to my daughter and I went and got the stealth black "one" and I couldn't be happier. The One looks more professional, more fluid, battery lasts all day with moderate use and a few other things that turned me to it. As far as charging times, it trickle charges so the battery will last for years. Rapid charging (like on the S4) diminishes battery life over time (just google li-ion, li-poly best way to charge).

As far as updates, HTC doesn't need updates as often cause it works like it should. Samsung seems to have to update software to get it to work right....but to Sammy's defense, their updates usually add new features. The One is getting 4.2.2 soon as it is already leaked so that is a plus. Most of what I said are soley my opinion to my personal preference but to be honest, you can't go wrong with either phone.
    Having come from the Galaxy S 2 to the HTC One X, and now to the S4- I can tell you first hand that you will eventually regret your decision. Here's why:

HTC's lack of support is a huge issue. Currently there is a black bar at the bottom of every HTC One- an issue I dealt with on the One X. This robs you of a good amount of screen space which is highly annoying, but more importantly it shows you how out of touch they are with their customers. Why on earth would you release a phone without addressing this? And it doesn't end there. The Sense UI does well with smoothing transitions- but good luck keeping that way. With minimal apps installed and one click optimized app used daily, the One X struggled to keep its fluidity and began having several apps hang up. I was force closing waaaaay too much for a 3 month old phone.

Problem is, their lack of Android support is such a joke that when HTC finally decided to update Jellybean most phones couldn't update over the air... you had to download the update via PC if you weren't one of the lucky ones. Way too much of a hassle.

Everyone talks about build quality with HTC now, and that was one of the perks of the One X- initially. Boy did it feel great to hold that heft with its pretty screen. But after a month or so I noticed a flex with the One X, and hear the phone creak. I returned the phone to Costco (great return policies) and got another- only to have the same issue. Then a few month later, the bottom portion of the touch screen stopped registering- to the point I could barely type or even unlock the phone. After much research I found I was not alone- that several HTC users experienced the same touch screen issue and had to put in warranty. I had to go back to my S2 just to get work done again...

Point being that HTC's build quality is all about show, not longevity. Their build process is inferior to that of Samsung, and while the Galaxy's arent built with premium aluminum shells they are built to last.

Your point about trickle charging is invalid when you can simply charge via usb on pc, laptops or any device with usb access to achieve this. With battery tech where it is today, this is only needed a few times during the duration of a battery's life anyway and doesn't increase a battery's capacity. Its pretty simple here- Galaxy S4 has the larger battery, so there is no contesting that.

Every point you made against the S4 otherwise can be taken care of in a software update, which happens to be Samsung's strong suits. Don't like th3 icons? Get Nova Launcher.

Bottom line people- do real research before purchasing. What may feel like a premium device is only as good as the software that supports it- and when that software and UI begin to fall behind, you'll eventually just be holding and expensive paper weight.

05-23-2013 10:17 PM
    Both phones have pros and cons but in my book HTC knocked it out of the park with this phone, it's amazing, you can't go wrong with it. Take it from someone that has an S4 and iPhone5 also

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-24-2013 02:14 AM
    Having come from the Galaxy S 2 to the HTC One X, and now to the S4- I can tell you first hand that you will eventually regret your decision. Here's why:

HTC's lack of support is a huge issue. Currently there is a black bar at the bottom of every HTC One- an issue I dealt with on the One X. This robs you of a good amount of screen space which is highly annoying, but more importantly it shows you how out of touch they are with their customers. Why on earth would you release a phone without addressing this? And it doesn't end there. The Sense UI does well with smoothing transitions- but good luck keeping that way. With minimal apps installed and one click optimized app used daily, the One X struggled to keep its fluidity and began having several apps hang up. I was force closing waaaaay too much for a 3 month old phone.

Problem is, their lack of Android support is such a joke that when HTC finally decided to update Jellybean most phones couldn't update over the air... you had to download the update via PC if you weren't one of the lucky ones. Way too much of a hassle.

Everyone talks about build quality with HTC now, and that was one of the perks of the One X- initially. Boy did it feel great to hold that heft with its pretty screen. But after a month or so I noticed a flex with the One X, and hear the phone creak. I returned the phone to Costco (great return policies) and got another- only to have the same issue. Then a few month later, the bottom portion of the touch screen stopped registering- to the point I could barely type or even unlock the phone. After much research I found I was not alone- that several HTC users experienced the same touch screen issue and had to put in warranty. I had to go back to my S2 just to get work done again...

Point being that HTC's build quality is all about show, not longevity. Their build process is inferior to that of Samsung, and while the Galaxy's arent built with premium aluminum shells they are built to last.

Your point about trickle charging is invalid when you can simply charge via usb on pc, laptops or any device with usb access to achieve this. With battery tech where it is today, this is only needed a few times during the duration of a battery's life anyway and doesn't increase a battery's capacity. Its pretty simple here- Galaxy S4 has the larger battery, so there is no contesting that.

Every point you made against the S4 otherwise can be taken care of in a software update, which happens to be Samsung's strong suits. Don't like th3 icons? Get Nova Launcher.

Bottom line people- do real research before purchasing. What may feel like a premium device is only as good as the software that supports it- and when that software and UI begin to fall behind, you'll eventually just be holding and expensive paper weight.

Going to address some of these concerns you have....

1. The black bar is annoying. But it's only there in apps that haven't updated to conform to google's standards. I don't play games on my phone so it's a non-issue.
    2. Lack of support? We already got an update on Sprint.
    3. I find the build quality to be good. Not empathetically stellar, but good. The S2 I had for a year creaked when holding it. Google S2 backdoor creaking...
    4. You're right when you say about trickle charging. It's not needed every charge. But it's that way to appease the dumb masses who don't know any better. The S4's battery is removable, the One's is not. Trickle charging is meant to keep the battery at a state to last for years. And I got to say, with my experience, the battery on the One trumps the S4 ....I'll explain in a minute....
    5. I have not experienced this slow down because of sense....at all.
    6. Samsung phones built to last and HTC isn't? Whatever...I put them in an otterbox defender case so I'll guarantee you, the One will last just as long as an S4.
    7. Since you don't know me OR my personal research and purchasing power...I'll refrain from commenting.

Yes, Sammy puts out updates which IS great! No denying that. But to most, there's no denying the Touchwiz stutter. I shouldn't have to use a different launcher to achieve what should be in the first place. The battery?? OK here we go. I have to use BT as I drive a truck for a living. BT on Samsung devices uses a process called Bluetooth Share. This process eats batteries for lunch. On my S2 and S3, I got 15+ hours which was decent. On the S4 I was lucky to get 8..unless I turned off all features (and I mean ALL) then I would get 15 and that's using only the phone features. What's the point? On my One, I can take my phone off charge at 4:30 am and at 6:30pm I'm at 40%. That's with moderate use (phone, internet, email, occasional blinkfeed, etc.).

I'm a Sammy fan. Don't get me wrong. I have the UN55ES6500 55 inch smart TV, a Samsung series 7 chromos laptop, and a Samsung dishwasher!! Yes a dishwasher!! There's is nothing more I like than having an ecosystem that works perfect together but for some reason, I prefer the One. It does what the S4 can do (bells and whistles aside) that I need it to do and it does it well.

Look, the S4 is an awesome phone. That's why I gave it to my daughter. I'm not going to giver her a piece of crap. The S4 just so happens to be her cup of tea because she uses it mostly for messaging and internet so we are both happy campers!

Posted via Android Central App using my HTC ONE
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-24-2013 04:56 AM
    Ask the Clash
    05-24-2013 07:27 AM
    Well. I officially switxhed today. Love the galaxy S4.

gummyjelly and orion575 like this.
    05-24-2013 07:59 PM
28 12