05-30-2013 03:11 PM
54 123
tools
    Just glanced through and am wondering why it matters? Why performance numbers would ever take priority over user experience is beyond me. Do people need raw computing power on their phones for some purpose I'm unaware of?
    Honestly, me, too. But it is interesting to see a performance difference above and beyond what you'd expect from the hardware specs. The trouble is, that difference can easily be explained by the fact that the two platforms are running entirely different software.
    05-29-2013 10:50 PM
    I will give my insight on this issue. I have been following the tests videos for a long time. They are fun to watch but in the real life they mean - to me- almost nothing. I came up with this conclusion after switching from the nexus 4 to the galaxy s4 . S4 beats nexus 4 in every test by a big margin. You would think that you will have a much smoother experience on the S4.

However, after switching I came to experience a LOT of lag and crashes here and there. Not a single day can go without at least three or four crashes and lags. This pissed me off a big deal coming especially coming from the Nexus 4 which I never experienced any lag with.

This might be the case with my phone only but it is true and sadly painful to spend a lot of money on such a high end phone to end up with stutter and lag and crashes. I hope that samsung figures this out with a software update or something or I might seriously consider going back to the nexus line.
    The nexus 4 is very smooth, but I might suggest that something you may have done to your s4 is making it crash. I have heard of lag but not repeated crashes. Something is wrong with your phone.

I have not had any desire to touch my nexus 4 since getting my s4 on May 13. It is that good.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    05-29-2013 10:56 PM
    But you're still running benchmark apps through an open source Java VM.

You can't benchmark Android devices using anything that has a gui. Doing so is the same as running two different versions of the benchmark program.

But I have a solution for the OP, if he's actually serious that is.

Compile the "time" binary for ARM to run on a generic Linux 3.0 install. Any Linux guru or Android developer can help.
    Use the same kernel version on each device. Any kernel dev can help.
    Shell into your phone, and use the time binary to see how long the system takes to perform a task that doesn't need the ui. You can do this part yourself.

Code:
    ./adb shell
    su
    cd /
    /usr/xbin/time cd/system
    The response will be three lines with:

• real time
    • user time
    • system time

in seconds. Smaller value means it performed things faster.
    Thanks for the idea, I'll get cracking on it this weekend, have a lot going on at present bit should be able to get something built over the next week or so!

Posted via Android Central App
    05-30-2013 06:09 AM
    But you're still running benchmark apps through an open source Java VM.

You can't benchmark Android devices using anything that has a gui. Doing so is the same as running two different versions of the benchmark program.

But I have a solution for the OP, if he's actually serious that is.

Compile the "time" binary for ARM to run on a generic Linux 3.0 install. Any Linux guru or Android developer can help.
    Use the same kernel version on each device. Any kernel dev can help.
    Shell into your phone, and use the time binary to see how long the system takes to perform a task that doesn't need the ui. You can do this part yourself.

Code:
    ./adb shell
    su
    cd /
    /usr/xbin/time cd/system
    The response will be three lines with:

• real time
    • user time
    • system time

in seconds. Smaller value means it performed things faster.
    Now this is smart. It is leveling software to "truly" test the hardware. The OS will be the same in a sense <~~~~metaphorical. Thanks Jerry for injecting caffine into this thread
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-2013 03:11 PM
54 123