Raw Galaxy S4 Vs HTC One Performance discussion

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Nvidia and Ati back in the day were known for their benchmark optimizations.

In fact Huawei was caught cheating recently.

Stop cheating, Huawei Honor 2 - News - AnTuTu Benchmark -- Know Your Android Better

So yes it just might be worth it. If benchmarks might be a final selling point for some, that be worth an extra few 100 million for a big company for a small investment.

Hard for me to swallow, I actually workerd for both the above mentioned IHV's in my former life, so I have an understanding about how you optimize for certain applications, and its pretty hard to do without increasing the baseline performance of your platform without making it incredibly obvious youre doing so
Your right in drawing the comparison though, but I look how it was done in the past to understand that it's not happening that way in the present, at least not in the same way.

Posted via Android Central App

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the S4 might be the sensors. Even when turned off, they apparently draw the power, which means they are probably polling, but just not giving user output.

Just a thought, since the other issue could be the gpu handling the data to a1080 display, but the One apparently does not have the issues.

Interesting, I can run some tests with those off to see if there's a difference

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Again this isn't about who is the better company, who makes more money....just about raw out performance

Then make this thread real instead of being a choke. Video real world performance of the two! Gawd.....really let us use the word again. .....several more times.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You definitely misinterpreted. I'm not saying anything was done "on purpose" because I don't know. If the difference is greater than clock speed alone then you have to look elsewhere. That means software.

We've known for a long time that Samsung optimizes their browser fairly heavily for the hardware they use. This has shown in benchmarks, actually, to be a fact.

Also, what you said (that I didn't say) would be a perfect explanation for why benchmark performance of the S4 is so good but UI performance leaves something to be desired for some. But remember, you said it, not me.

We can talk about "the metal" but you can't ignore the software. The fastest metal on Earth is worthless if the software can't use it properly.

Not really.....today's software is global. HTC trolls samsung and that is why they die. The Android OS they decided to carry saves that company. Samsung never needed metal. HTC did....and they need android because their software is the worst mobile experience as voted by the readers.......to many lover boys rave the one..........

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow, though I suppose I do owe an explanation of the testbed:

Both devices on latest firmware according to sprints ota rollout...

Memory clear after each test run with a minimum of three tests averaged for finak results (antutu being the only benchmark run to really mitigate huge variance)

I'm my initial test run, I did not reboot the devices between tests, though from suggestions above, I did try to see if there was further variance...in 2/3 tests I tried...there really wasnt any discernable difference.

Hope that helps!

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Not really.....today's software is global. HTC trolls samsung and that is why they die. The Android OS they decided to carry saves that company. Samsung never needed metal. HTC did....and they need android because their software is the worst mobile experience as voted by the readers.......to many lover boys rave the one..........

Uh if your talking about kernal software, or middleware as it were, neither Samsung or Htc is responsible...Both bought chips from Qualcomm for this generation, so I'm not sure I understand your point

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Uh if your talking about kernal software, or middleware as it were, neither Samsung or Htc is responsible...Both bought chips from Qualcomm for this generation, so I'm not sure I understand your point

Lol. ... carry on.....I am not trying to make a point other than benchmarks are nothing worth clamoring over. Real world usage. If you want to test hardware against each other, you MUST run the same OS. If you want to battle the OS, then they should be optimized on the same hardware and benchmarked. Those two scenarios do not exist. So some real world videos would be killer! Thank you in advance:thumbup:

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow, though I suppose I do owe an explanation of the testbed:

Both devices on latest firmware according to sprints ota rollout...

Memory clear after each test run with a minimum of three tests averaged for finak results (antutu being the only benchmark run to really mitigate huge variance)

I'm my initial test run, I did not reboot the devices between tests, though from suggestions above, I did try to see if there was further variance...in 2/3 tests I tried...there really wasnt any discernable difference.

Hope that helps!

Post them videos. .... this thread is boring without something to watch. :thumbdown:

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Post them videos. .... this thread is boring without something to watch. :thumbdown:

I think the only thing more boring than sitting through those tests, would be watching a YouTube video of someone sitting through those tests...lol

Again, I think the point of this thread was missed somewhere along the line. I didn't want tho have a discussion about which device its better for "you" that is subjective and too personal a topic. Look at the defensiveness that generated from this topic...unintentionally. I was instated in discussing the platform, and comparing Apples to Apple's in the best manner possible...synthetics. Everyone keeps glazing over the point...that one is, not feels, not looks, IS faster than the other...and as indescribably hard it would be to quantify all the differences in experience, people automatically leap to it...such is life. I forget that I am a hardware guy and I think in terms of 10% being a "holy cow what happened there" indicator...the masses do not, and they're probably better for it.

I'll liken this topic too what are assuredly will be innumerable topics about which is faster...the xbox one or ps4...and I'll equally lose my mind when someone makes a dumb blanket statement like "the hardware is the same so performance is similar" while I'm looking at the math saying "are you joking? The ps4 he's nearly twice the memory bandwidth...and holy god...why did Microsoft choose too use memory thats older than my youngest daughter and clocked so much slower than the competition"...Again...I'm just that guy, it's what I do for a living...no harm no foul!

Jack

Robes1NC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had both devices for at least 3 days each. First it was the One. The radio could barely hold a signal and the speed was nice. The speakers were nice and the sound from the headphone jack was awesome. I returned it because I didn't have a signal at home. That's when I got the S4 and I've never had a signal problem. It has 2 bars where the one had none on the same network (AT&T). Once I did the sound test in the music app and it adjusted the sound to my own ears it was perfect! Almost as good as the bests experience but the battery last much much longer and charges 3 times as fast. It actually still charges if I use it while it's plugged in. The one would lose power while I used it plugged in. This is a better overall phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the only thing more boring than sitting through those tests, would be watching a YouTube video of someone sitting through those tests...lol

Again, I think the point of this thread was missed somewhere along the line. I didn't want tho have a discussion about which device its better for "you" that is subjective and too personal a topic. Look at the defensiveness that generated from this topic...unintentionally. I was instated in discussing the platform, and comparing Apples to Apple's in the best manner possible...synthetics. Everyone keeps glazing over the point...that one is, not feels, not looks, IS faster than the other...and as indescribably hard it would be to quantify all the differences in experience, people automatically leap to it...such is life. I forget that I am a hardware guy and I think in terms of 10% being a "holy cow what happened there" indicator...the masses do not, and they're probably better for it.

I'll liken this topic too what are assuredly will be innumerable topics about which is faster...the xbox one or ps4...and I'll equally lose my mind when someone makes a dumb blanket statement like "the hardware is the same so performance is similar" while I'm looking at the math saying "are you joking? The ps4 he's nearly twice the memory bandwidth...and holy god...why did Microsoft choose too use memory thats older than my youngest daughter and clocked so much slower than the competition"...Again...I'm just that guy, it's what I do for a living...no harm no foul!

Jack

My .02 is that it looks like most do not want to be or really cannot be objective when their money is concerned. The fact that people jump on new phones with the latest and greatest processor tell us that they inherently want the latest and greatest because they are mere fractions of seconds faster at doing tasks that they use their devices for. Then where they disagree with a benchmark they pull the "real world" speech. Why upgrade to a quad core then because the "real world" difference is very slight improvement. People often push back on data even when the data is correct.

The bottom line is that benchmarks take bias out of the equation. The totality of benchmarks are not incorrect, people are. If you use enough benchmarks and compare them the scores speak for themselves. Whether people agree with them or even care about them is another issue. Again, I would have purchased the S4 over the HTC one regardless of the benchmarks. I have owned every Galaxy S model and every Galaxy Note model and will probably continue. It just happens to be faster than the HTC One... ;) lol!

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm just trying too have a discussion about "the metal"'so to speak

If you're truly interested in testing metal, and not just trying to make your shiny new S4 look good, load the exact same ROM on each phone and run your tests again. Until then you can't rule out any cheating from either phone/software (not that I believe either is).

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you're truly interested in testing metal, and not just trying to make your shiny new S4 look good, load the exact same ROM on each phone and run your tests again. Until then you can't rule out any cheating from either phone/software (not that I believe either is).

Well said

And my overall feeling of this thread? Yawwwwwnnnnn..........zzzzzzzzzzz

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Jack

No worries. I just completely disagree with the mode being used. Thats all. Have a good day Jack.:)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I know some people get off on getting the highest bench mark scores. For me, I don't care if one device scores 3x better on a bench mark, as long as my device is fast and smooth. If a score of X is sufficient for fast, smooth operations, a score of 1.5x is great and a score of 2x, while 33% higher, is not a meaningful difference.

abishai#AC

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm sure that will be done with the developer editions of these both running stock android. Don't kid yourself and think that when that happens the HTC One will magically outdo the S4 on benchmarks though. If the S4 can beat the One with it's bloated and non optimized OS what do you think is going to happen when you remove that bloat? Doubt their score will suddenly drop lower than the One.

If this was a general performance thread I could understand the One fanboys coming out to defend the perceived smoothness of Sense over Touchwiz on the S4 but this is based on benchmarks with numbers. Those numbers are higher on the S4 than the One, period. This discussion seems to have been started to figure out why given the similar hardware and all we get are members of the Anecdotal Defense League coming out to defend why their phone is "better" because it "feels" better.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So you're suggesting that I secretly handicap both devices by eliminating optimizations completed by both HTC and Samsung, not to mention put the gs4 on an os for which oft was never intended? And not to disparage Rom makers of the world...but I think you'd have a bigger argument on your hands about "objectivity" and potential cheats in those ROMs...not because of anyone doing anything below board..but because you'd be looking at pieces of work largely unqualified buy anyone but that developers. If anything, I think that looking at the nexus editions of those are made available...at least it's be a level(er) playing field.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The fact that the One is currently running 4.1.2 while the S4 is running 4.2.2 is very significant in benchmarks - the One is already at a disadvantage benchmark-wise because every Android release generally comes with improved hardware drivers for common hardware, bug fixes, and general improvements in underlying performance. 4.1 and 4.2 are not vastly different, but they're still many months apart in terms of the Android development cycle.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystalMcclain