View Poll Results: What to phone to get?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • wait until the iPhone 5S is announced

17 27.87%
  • get the Galaxy S4 now!

44 72.13%
05-29-2013 12:05 AM
74 123
tools
    hmm... so only ios7 announced in june? i thought i remember them always announcing the new phones in the past during wwdc.

No its announced october and released in october or november.
    05-25-2013 06:30 PM
    hmm... so only ios7 announced in june? i thought i remember them always announcing the new phones in the past during wwdc.
    Last two have been done later in the year. Who knows though.
    05-25-2013 06:38 PM
    Yeah and iOS 7 will be RELEASED in october announced in june.
    05-25-2013 06:48 PM
    They might. Tim Cook is willing to listen to the public more ala iPad mini.
    This new Apple could be the one that listens to customers.
    No, the iPad mini was the result of wanting more money, not listening to the public.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-25-2013 07:35 PM
    No, the iPad mini was the result of wanting more money, not listening to the public.

The iPad mini is cannibalizing iPad sales, so not sure sure on that one.
    05-25-2013 07:40 PM
    The reason for the mini is the same reason Lowes sets up across the street from Home Depot and that's across the street from Menards. Same reason Target and Walmart are so close together. You don't concede ground in a market. When Jobs said 7" tablets were useless, he meant, "no one has expressed interest in these", which at the time was more or less correct, because the 7" tablets that existed were terrible. With the N7, Kindle Fire, etc. a market opened up and people were buying that form factor and finding it useful. As soon as that happens, you HAVE to reverse the "useless" position, or concede the ground to your competitor.
    05-25-2013 07:44 PM

What makes you so sure?
    05-25-2013 08:45 PM
    What makes you so sure?
    Because nearly all companies prioritize profit first, and Apple is definitely no exception.

The Hustleman likes this.
    05-25-2013 08:50 PM
    Not sure what phone you have, but on my Samsung I can set a delay for the pin lock. So for the first 15 minutes (approximately) after I turn the screen off, I just need to turn it back on. After that time I have to enter the code. It takes me all of 2 or 3 seconds to type the code, so it's hardly onerous.
    I can do the same on my iphone 5, but I prefer the instant unlock with a fingerprint reader. Much easier that. You are correct that it is hardly onerous, but we can say the same about any other technology that is designed to make life slightly easier, e.g., smart stay and smart scroll.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-25-2013 11:52 PM
    I can do the same on my iphone 5, but I prefer the instant unlock with a fingerprint reader. Much easier that. You are correct that it is hardly onerous, but we can say the same about any other technology that is designed to make life slightly easier, e.g., smart stay and smart scroll.
    The Motorola Atrix 4G has a fingerprint scanner. I do like having it, but it often takes more than one swipe to get the phone to unlock. Many times just using the code is faster. I plan to get the GS4 soon.
    05-26-2013 05:16 AM
    Has anyone ever cut your finger so that he can log in through your work laptop?

Only concern I have about this, will this encourage thieves to cut off your finger. Yes I am being serious.
    05-26-2013 10:58 AM
    Unfortunately, iPhones won't be getting NFC anytime soon as they already have Passbook. The screen size will probably remain the same old 4 inch screen, and the hardware will probably be the same as what i have read in numerous articles on the web. They wont be changing the hardware till 2014. If the iPhone 5S/6 gets to have new color schemes it will probably look like the iPod Touch 5th gen (white on front, color on back, and that looks hideous). I agree with the faster processor and the better camera though.

BUT you shouldnt believe in the rumors till the actual unveiling of the phone. Last years rumor of the iphone 5 was that it would have a laser projection keyboard and a 5 inch screen but that didnt happen. You might as well get the iPhone 5.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    05-26-2013 12:15 PM
    Has anyone ever cut your finger so that he can log in through your work laptop?
    People get their fingers cut off because the robber wanted to steal their ring or car. It is a means to an end and a lot of thieves don't care how those ends are achieved.
    05-26-2013 12:24 PM
    Hehe I'm going to buy an iphone5s and glue it to the ground... I just like to watch the world burn.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-26-2013 12:56 PM
    my opinion on this matter is you ask for advice, and doing so you go to youtube and find a fake video of a phone that has not even been announced for released. and it was not even made by apple.

why do so many people believe everything that is posted on the net or youtube, still blows my mind
    05-26-2013 01:30 PM
    They might. Tim Cook is willing to listen to the public more ala iPad mini.
    This new Apple could be the one that listens to customers.
    Steve Jobs approved the iPad mini not Tim Cook.

Tim Cook and Apple need to listen to consumers because they aren't Steve Jobs.
    05-28-2013 08:16 AM
    In practice, many of the specs on the S4 are similar to the rumored phone you gave (though right now NFC will probably be more useful on an Android phone because of Tasker).
    Why does Tasker make NFC more appealing? Forgive my ignorance, I don't know a great deal about either. Thanks,
    05-28-2013 09:41 AM
    Why does Tasker make NFC more appealing? Forgive my ignorance, I don't know a great deal about either. Thanks,
    You can configure Tasker to automatically switch your phone's settings based on where you are. You don't need NFC to do this (but it may make it easier/more flexible). I have several profiles based on if I am connected to my car's bluetooth, my work wifi, home wifi, etc.

How to Automate Your Phone for Every Room in the House with NFC Tags
    05-28-2013 09:44 AM
    The 5s is going to be the same current design and size. The main spin for the device is iOS 7 and features oriented with it.
    05-28-2013 09:59 AM
    With those NFC tags you can program each of them to make your, or anyone else with the same NFC reader app, do a few simple things. With Tasker you can make complex tasks that trigger based on "contexts" which could either be "states" (e.g. you're at a specific location, it's a certain time of day, etc.) or "events" (e.g. you get a text message, you unlock your phone, you perform a specific gesture etc.)

One of the things you can have a NFC tag do is perform a Tasker task (essentially making scanning any specific tag a new "event). So with Tasker you can have a NFC tag tell your phone to perform one, or several complex things and you can have those things change depending on the state of your phone. You could put a single tag on your key chain that, while at work, toggles your phone between "meeting" mode and "at your desk" mode, while in the car sends a text message to someone with your GPS location and while at home it announces your "to-do" list for you. If you have some home automation system you could put one by your Lay-Z-Boy that dims the lights, turns on the TV and opens your TV remote app. These are all things that you may or may not want to do at any given time while at a specific location.

tl;dr - Tasker will allow you to do much more complex things with NFC tags and NFC tags allow you to be much more situational with your Tasker events.
    05-28-2013 10:07 AM
    I agree with previous post. I had every iteration of iPhone. I personally wanted bigger screen and something different than ios. Glad I made switch. Too bad apple didn't update ios and adapt to bigger screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 10:23 AM
    Infinity, garublador... thanks for the explanation.
    05-28-2013 12:39 PM
    I agree with previous post. I had every iteration of iPhone. I personally wanted bigger screen and something different than ios. Glad I made switch. Too bad apple didn't update ios and adapt to bigger screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Agreed. If I could have a permanently jailbroken iPhone with a 4.7" screen, I'd go back in a heartbeat, nice though my new Android phone is.
    05-28-2013 01:06 PM
    Double pixels and thinner bezels?
    05-29-2013 12:05 AM
74 123