Should I get Galaxy S4 now or wait for the iPhone 5S?

What to phone to get?

• Total voters

JayChouHD

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Rumor has it that the next iPhone 5S will come with new features such as:
- NFC and fingerprint reader
- sapphire crystal touch home button
- 12MP camera with dual-flash, 1080p 60FPS front-facing camera
- quad-core A7 chip
- 1600mAh battery
- 32/64/128GB storage
- multiple colors

The phone most likely won't be released until August though..... I am using an iPhone 4S at the moment, it's still working fine... but I can sell this phone for around $350 and use the proceed to get a better phone. I don't really care for Touchwiz, but a bigger screen seems like a big plus.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure any one but you can answer that. :) What do you really want in a phone? Latest and greatest? Huge screen? Do you have other Apple devices? For me, I wanted a bigger screen and a taste of something outside of IOS. The S4 fit the bill. It is an adjustment coming from the iPhone. If you don't like Touchwiz you can install Nova Launcher, or so I have heard. ;-) can you wait until August?

JayChouHD

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure any one but you can answer that. :) What do you really want in a phone? Latest and greatest? Huge screen? Do you have other Apple devices? For me, I wanted a bigger screen and a taste of something outside of IOS. The S4 fit the bill. It is an adjustment coming from the iPhone. If you don't like Touchwiz you can install Nova Launcher, or so I have heard. ;-) can you wait until August?

I have a 13" Macbook Air and a Samsung HDTV ;-)

Well, I can definitely wait... But is it worth it? By the time iPhone 5S is released, I will less likely be able to sell my 4S as much as I can today...

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Haha me too!! And an ipad. I love this big screen'S4. Not sure I can go back to the iPhone. It would feel cramped. But it does all come down to what you want and how you use your phone personally.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
iPhone is a very solid, well performing phone. Just because Apple hasn't been very innovative lately doesn't take away from the fact the phone performs necessary functions well. It is just a bit too plain and lacks a lot of customization in my opinion.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site
What the use of a phone with high build quality that doesn't do many functions and lacks a lot of innovation. People are changing, today's customer is smart he makes choices after a long analysis. Ppl r dumping iPhones for android, especially the technology leader Samsung.
IPhone is really for oldies who just want to do limited things and want it plain and simple.
Why ya think GS3 became a "phone of the year" in mobile congress and CNET special.
Samsung is being innovative and well they are getting paid off.
With functions like the air gestures, smart scroll, smart pause etc. Samsung is killing competition. Had Apple come up with functions like these it would have charged almost double price. The company just sold 10m handsets in just 25 days. Figures speak results.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
You can't go by rumors that's for sure. August really isn't that far away, if I was you and was considering a iPhone I would want and see what they came out with before you decide. What is $100 deference between selling you phone now and waiting of you end up not happy.

Tapatalk mofo

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
But the point is that he is considering the iPhone, so it is obviously something he is interested in. Obviously we are going to be biased in an Android forum, but that is why all of these discussions come down to needs and wants in a phone. Some people prefer what they are used to and simplicity. That is iPhone for a lot of people. And a lot of very young people use iphone, so that point isn't valid. It comes down to preference, regardless of innovation. It doesn't matter if the Samsung is the latest and greatest. Not everyone wants that.

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
As others have mentioned, buy the S4 now. If you have an upgrade available with your carrier, you should be able snag the device for $200 for the 16GB model. Sell your current 4s and you should still have some money left over. When the 5s is announced you can determine if you want to move to the phone, if so, sell the S4. Although note, you will not sell the S4 for the price of the 5s, you will have to put money out of your pocket to make the difference.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
- quad-core A7 chip
- 1600mAh battery
- 32/64/128GB storage
- multiple colors

New Official iPhone 6 Promo 1080p - YouTube

The phone most likely won't be released until August though..... I am using an iPhone 4S at the moment, it's still working fine... but I can sell this phone for around $350 and use the proceed to get a better phone. I don't really care for Touchwiz, but a bigger screen seems like a big plus.

Op I came from an iPhone 5 mainly for the bigger screen I don't use any of the touch wiz stuff. I kinda miss the iPhone because the app store Is so much better then Google play and iMessage was great to send hd video to other ios users, lock screen notifications, keyboard is better and easier to use on iPhone but I do like using Swype. Also the android operating system is laggy not sure if it's touch wiz or what but for a quad core cpu to me it don't feel like it. The gs4 will hold me off till a bigger screen iPhone gets released I'm guessing iPhone 6 next year

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Op I came from an iPhone 5 mainly for the bigger screen I don't use any of the touch wiz stuff. I kinda miss the iPhone because the app store Is so much better then Google play and iMessage was great to send hd video to other ios users, lock screen notifications, keyboard is better and easier to use on iPhone but I do like using Swype. Also the android operating system is laggy not sure if it's touch wiz or what but for a quad core cpu to me it don't feel like it. The gs4 will hold me off till a bigger screen iPhone gets released I'm guessing iPhone 6 next year

Can you explain why the app store is so much better than Google play?

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

IMOP the keyboard on the iPhone is awful and is one area where Android clearly leads Apple by a large margin. Had to type on my wife's iPhone 5 last night fixing her email and I wanted to throw the phone across the room after typing the first sentence. The keyboard is cramped and once you get use to predictive text and swype it's hard to enjoy another keyboard. I think Apple will be forced to fix the keyboard in the next iOS release.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Same smallish display though. If that is not a problem and you are vested in iOS apps already and like the device, why switch?

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site
first of all, i don't personally like apple, and i will confess that i'm a big sammy fan....
after clarifying this, i will give my personal opinion on the specs you've got, and this opinion will be neutral... i usually do not throw **** at apple lovers/users, because that's their personal taste, and i respect that, just the same way i like to be respected for my personal choices....

- quad-core A7 chip
- 1600mAh battery
- 32/64/128GB storage
- multiple colors

New Official iPhone 6 Promo 1080p - YouTube

-first of all... NFC... NFC is kind of an open source feature/hardware... anyone have open access to what it does and can create code and apps for it.... Apple is not a company that likes this kind of stuff... in other words, they like keeping their stuff for themselves (have you ever noticed that iPhones do not have as much carrier's crap as any other phone on the market? which is something i really like about them)...
-Fingerprint reader is something that i believe is plausible for future smartphones, and why not, the iPhone being the first one using one of them...
-sapphire crystal touch home button....i actually see no pro in using this material just for the home button... i mean, i haven't ever heard of someone physically breaking a home button just by simple use.... i know it sometimes stops working, like with any other brand, but that's up to the electronics and switch used behind the button.... it would be nice for them to use sapphire on, let's say, the whole back of the phone, or use it as the actual screen, but that would fire the price of any phone up to the sky!!! and i'm not actually sure of the actual resistance compared with the Gorilla Glass 3... haven't seen any comparison with both of them, but i think sapphire would be harder, stiffer, and smoother tho...
- 12MP camera with dual-flash, 1080p 60FPS front-facing camera.... this sounds completely realistic, and i do believe apple will use this kind of specs for the camera...
- quad-core A7 chip - well, following the pattern they do tend to follow on processors, they will use a new chip, that will probably be named A7, and to compete with the latest top-end smartphones it will feature 4 cores... BUT, they usually tend to undervalue the use of more cores on iPhones (which sometimes they actually don't need for how is programmed the iOs), and if they keep this tendency, this chip will be a faster dual-core....
- 1600mAh battery... iPhones are gentle with battery life, but they usually don't take big steps increasing the battery size, the latest big jump they made, was from the 3GS to the iPhone 4, and it wasn't this big... supposing a jump like that, they will go from their actual 1440 mAh, to let's say 1600mAh.... but if they keep with the tendency they've had with the latest models, it will probably be 1450mAh.... (just to note, it is funny how the 1st gen iphone had a battery much bigger than the 3G and 3GS, with 1400 mAh)...
- 32/64/128GB storage.... i don't believe they will drop the 16 GB model... but i would like to see a 128 GB model...
- multiple colors... well,, apple is not known for using a lot of colors on their devices (at least, lately)...they usually (and lately) use different colors for their, let's say, cheap devices, like the shuffle, and the nano, which at first they wasn't even sure if it was going to work, but using a lot of colors on their high end device, would make it look not so very high-end, and they will certainly not use more colors for the iphone....

personal thought here, but we'll have to see when it comes

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
In practice, many of the specs on the S4 are similar to the rumored phone you gave (though right now NFC will probably be more useful on an Android phone because of Tasker). I think the real question is whether or not you'd mind going back and forth between Android and iOS. If you're happy with iOS and how it's integrated with the rest of your gadgets and computers and have app purchases you want to keep it's probably not worth migrating to Android just to migrate back in a few months.