Separate tones for different notifications? (email, text, etc)

mkdevo

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I see in Settings you can set a custom tone for "notifications", but from what I've seen, that includes ALL notifications. Is that right?

Is there a way to set different tones for different types of notifications? For example, I don't want my text tone to be the same as my email tone...

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey there. Yes, you can change the tones separately. Set your notification tune to whatever you would like it to be for emails, push notifications, etc. through settings, sounds, and then head on over to your sms/messaging app. Go to the menu, settings, notifications, and select your messaging notification there.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
+1 to Jennifers advice just go into the individual app hit the menu button and set the notification tone or preference there any you dont change will use the standard notification tone in the sound settings menu.

Garret Rain

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
On my Andorid 4.1.2 phone do not see "Notifications" under the settings.

Would there be a different path for this phone OS build?

Thank you,

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
On a related question, in each app, for instance email, can I set a individual prefrence tone by contact ?
That is, say in my email, have a different tone for each contact that emails me.

Thanks,
Fred

DigiCowboy

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
On a related question, in each app, for instance email, can I set a individual prefrence tone by contact ?
That is, say in my email, have a different tone for each contact that emails me.

Thanks,
Fred

I just saw an app that should do that in the Play Store. It was called notification sounds.

timbuktu61

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
On a Samsung Galaxy 4 there is no "sounds" option in the native MMS app. In the home screen /menu/ settings/ sounds menu, you can set a notification sound but it is for all notifications. I need a sound for MMS messages coming in, but no sound or a different sound for emails coming in. It seems like such an important capability that I think I must be missing something here! Any ideas?

bdogg12

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
That is, say in my email, have a different tone for each contact that emails me

Did anyone ever come up with a way to do this? I would also like to customize tones for contacts to have different tones for text message, calls or emails from each particular contact. I could do it on other devices that I have had in the past, but can't figure out how to do it for the Moto X.

Ed K1

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I see in Settings you can set a custom tone for "notifications", but from what I've seen, that includes ALL notifications. Is that right?

Is there a way to set different tones for different types of notifications? For example, I don't want my text tone to be the same as my email tone...

luaprelkniw

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I've tried that one and several others that are similar. None of them have the capability we're looking for.

Sadly, I believe there is no way of tailoring notification sounds. You can change the *general* notification sound on your phone, but you can't differentiate between a system message, a friend's SMS, an email notification, etc. A notification is a notification; that's all you get with today's phones. Kind of primitive, but that's what we're stuck with.

cisengineer

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
That's ridiculous. I have the Note 3 and the same issue. SMS, Email (work), and Gmail (personal) need to have different notifications. This feature has been present since the dawn of time. Why dump it now? There is no solution at all?