GPS Problems

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else using navigation apps have a problem locking onto satellites? I have a Nexus 7 and get an almost immediate lock, but with my Galaxy S4 I can't get a lock.... Neither Google Navigation, or Co-Pilot Wants to get a lock....not sure if the GPS radio in the S4 is funky or not!

Bright Harry

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue and, after many trials and errors, I found a workaround: when you start a navigation software (or any app making use of the GPS signal), I go then to the setting and I switch the GPS signal off and back on. Afterwards you will have a perfect working signal as long as you do not start another app.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
It's this a common problem? My wife couldn't use her navigation yesterday and I had no problem on my one. I was going to go in to sprint today to have them check her phone.

Posted via HTC One

Greg Santos

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have been battling the same problem. I got the s4 from verizon and have changed the phone 2 times now and still have the same gps problem. And when I took it back again, the guy helping me took his s4 out to try it and he had not realized but he had the same problem, something needs to be done.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and, after many trials and errors, I found a workaround: when you start a navigation software (or any app making use of the GPS signal), I go then to the setting and I switch the GPS signal off and back on. Afterwards you will have a perfect working signal as long as you do not start another app.

Thanks for the tip....I tried your work around, and it worked perfectly! It sounds like this has been a problem for a number of users.......lets hope there will be a software update to fix this bug.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

jarettp

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
just got out of chat with samsung. the lady had me force stop my map apps and clear their cache. it APPEARS to be working fine now but i won't be entirely sure until i give it a shot next time i'm driving. its worth a shot though.

Greg Santos

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Its a shame cause this phone is amazing, but we r paying for this services, having a phone is no longer just about making calls, if u dont agree think about the times we used to have to find an adress on our desktop, print directions and then venture out trying to find the place, those days r over, but this problem is not helping, I am not going to settle for mediocrity.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
Hadn't tested mine yet. Just did, same issue.

I couldn't properly test the work around however because my office building probably doesn't make for the best satellite reception. This could be the initial problem as well right now.

jarettp

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hadn't tested mine yet. Just did, same issue.

I couldn't properly test the work around however because my office building probably doesn't make for the best satellite reception. This could be the initial problem as well right now.
the weird thing is, this didn't happen when i first got the phone. i'm 100% sure. i noticed in when i started using Waze. Anyone else using Waze?

Greg Santos

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just found out the problem is between google and your carrier. Theres nothing samsung can do, matter of fact I am at verizon and all of the androids have thensame problem. All except the iphone which has a chip and is not internet assisted, im switching.

Joe Ferraino

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't have an S4 but i could not get a lock either on my Note2. Had to unistall the latest Map update, cleared data and bam, i was able to get a gps lock everytime now.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

jarettp

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Folks, after force stopping my GPS apps (google maps and waze) and clearing their cache my issue seems to have resolved itself for now. I'll keep you all updated if it changes.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
In my research (for the past 10 minutes) I saw the s3 had a similar issue.

They fix: there we a few loose screws holding the frame together. Tightening these fixed the issue for numerous people on the s3.

Wondering is there is something similar for the s4? I will have to check later when I have access to tools small enough.

EDIT: After leaving work tested the GPS on the drive home, worked fine. it locked on to my position instantly. Guess mine works fine!

Last edited:

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe the error to be anything other than an issue with the S4. I have been driving in my car with two or more phones all running a downloaded map and the other phones maintain GPS lock fine where as the GS4 routinely loses lock. Just this morning I was using a Note 2 and GS4, both were working fine for about 4 miles and then GS4 lost lock where as the Note 2 was perfect.

I am, as sad as this is, comforted to see others with this issue so that I know it's less likely my specific GS4. Now the debate for the next 10 days will be to return or not. *sigh*

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It must be the area your in, I have never had any issues with my GPS not finding satellites. the only time I had the issue is when i was driving in a construction zone or like a farm land, but other than that, never had any issues

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae