Since Verizon seems to have a severe lack of new flagship phones this year, I was thinking about getting the S4 this summer when my upgrade comes due. However, I really despise TouchWiz and it would be a deal-breaker for me.

NOVA Launcher appears to give users a near-Nexus experience which is what I want considering my current devices are JB equipped Bionic and Nexus 7. That being said, I'm hoping some S4 users can chime in to answer a few questions:

1. Does NOVA have a noticeably negative impact on battery life?

2. Am I still able to use Samsung's multi screen feature if NOVA is set to be the sole launcher?

3. Can I disable TouchWiz once I make NOVA primary launcher?

4. Does the phone's overall performance suffer from the change in launchers?

I understand that quite a few of Samsung's proprietary features like S-Health require TouchWiz but I have a little to no interest in using them, so I won't miss them.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    05-25-2013 11:13 AM
    Easy answer is too all your questions is this. Get home manager app and download nova. Try it out for a week after you set it up to your liking. Kill touchwiz by using home manager and make nova your default launcher. If it's not to your liking just uninstall is and try another one(I recommend apex or golauncher ex). It's really just that simple. You're welcome.

Posted via Android Central App
    kozlosap likes this.
    05-25-2013 11:41 AM

2. Am I still able to use Samsung's multi screen feature if NOVA is set to be the sole launcher?

1. None that I can tell. I've been using it since day one, May 10th, myself.

2. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. But I can update this after I try later!

3. I don't know about permanently disabling it, though I haven't looked into that (honestly haven't felt the need), but you can set it to always use NOVA as your home screen and ignore TouchWiz as default.

4. I've had it crash twice before, but nothing awful. Brought nova right back up and working, no settings lost.

My best advice is try the free version and if you like it (you will, the features are quite robust) upgrade to the premium version which throws some real neat tricks in. I never really buy apps or things of the sort, but I plunked down the $4 very fast after enjoying NOVA. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to try to help.
    JGouse0498 and anon(5421739) like this.
    05-25-2013 11:50 AM
    I am a Nova Prime user. Do it!
    05-25-2013 11:53 AM
    Easy answer is too all your questions is this. Get home manager app and download nova. Try it out for a week after you set it up to your liking. Kill touchwiz by using home manager and make nova your default launcher. If it's not to your liking just uninstall is and try another one(I recommend apex or golauncher ex). It's really just that simple. You're welcome.

Only problem with that suggestion is it requires me to actually BUY the phone first, which I don't want to do if I'm stuck with TouchWiz.

I did decide to put it on my Bionic even though the UIs are very similar and find myself liking it so much that I'll be leaving it on there. Don't even need to get the paid version as all the features I need are in the free version. Might buy it anyway in order to financially support the developers though.

EDIT: I suppose I could always try to quickly load it on one of the working display models at VZW or my dad's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (which I believe is running OS
    4.1)

05-25-2013 12:49 PM
    1. None that I can tell. I've been using it since day one, May 10th, myself.

2. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. But I can update this after I try later!

3. I don't know about permanently disabling it, though I haven't looked into that (honestly haven't felt the need), but you can set it to always use NOVA as your home screen and ignore TouchWiz as default.

4. I've had it crash twice before, but nothing awful. Brought nova right back up and working, no settings lost.

My best advice is try the free version and if you like it (you will, the features are quite robust) upgrade to the premium version which throws some real neat tricks in. I never really buy apps or things of the sort, but I plunked down the $4 very fast after enjoying NOVA. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to try to help.
    Thank you for the input!! It is really appreciated.

Only reason I was wondering about disabling TouchWiz is simply to ensure it wasn't somehow running in the background and using resources, but I imagine it wouldn't be very noticeable even if it was.

Is the multiscreen support even beneficial on a smartphone sized screen anyway? I've managed to get by this long without it on any of my devices so...

DioramaMaker likes this.
    05-25-2013 12:52 PM

Only reason I was wondering about disabling TouchWiz is simply to ensure it wasn't somehow running in the background and using resources, but I imagine it wouldn't be very noticeable even if it was.

Is the multiscreen support even beneficial on a smartphone sized screen anyway? I've managed to get by this long without it on any of my devices so...

Yes, I do use multiscreen constantly and love it.

Also to all your questions, yes please do try it theres no lag looks great and you can use multiscreen.

JGouse0498 likes this.
    05-25-2013 12:56 PM
    Yes multiwindow still works

JGouse0498 likes this.
    05-25-2013 12:59 PM
    I've never used Nova but have used and like Go Launcher EX extensively. EX is a bit intrusive with popups for new themes, etc. but in general it is tolerable. Can someone please compare/contrast the two?
    05-25-2013 01:42 PM
    Yes multiwindow still works
    I second that emotion.

05-25-2013 02:15 PM
    Personally I think Apex Launcher runs a bit better than Nova. Plus you get many features in the free version of Apex that you have to pay for in Nova.
    05-25-2013 11:14 PM
    Personally it's been flawless since I learned about it a year ago.

The customization seems endless, I'm still tweaking my S4 and One.

It should be number one on Google play's Top Paid apps.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    05-25-2013 11:26 PM
    Since Verizon seems to have a severe lack of new flagship phones this year, I was thinking about getting the S4 this summer when my upgrade comes due. However, I really despise TouchWiz and it would be a deal-breaker for me.

NOVA Launcher appears to give users a near-Nexus experience which is what I want considering my current devices are JB equipped Bionic and Nexus 7. That being said, I'm hoping some S4 users can chime in to answer a few questions:

I understand that quite a few of Samsung's proprietary features like S-Health require TouchWiz but I have a little to no interest in using them, so I won't miss them.

1) No
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) No

You do not need to download a home manager. When you install Nova and launch it, you are given the opportunity mo make Nova or TW your default launcher just once or every time. Easy. If you don't like it, uninstall it and you are back to TW. Or you can clear the setting in the app manager if you want to leave it installed and go back to TW.

Personally, the only reason I change launchers is because I want more icons. TW is fine as far as I'm concerned, except for the ridiculous low number of icons you can have.
    JGouse0498 likes this.
    05-25-2013 11:43 PM
    I was wondering the same things as well. Thanks for the responses. I've went ahead and downloaded nova and am really enjoying it.
    05-26-2013 12:56 AM

Glad to be of help. It seems everyone has covered the rest of your questions, and you've found your love for NOVA yourself. Congrats
    05-26-2013 01:15 AM
    Is there anyway to use the stock weather widget if you use a launcher?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Android Central Forums
    05-26-2013 04:55 PM

Nope, I definitely tried though lol. I ended up using HD Widgets instead.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    clintw22 likes this.
    05-26-2013 08:46 PM
    Can you use BeWeather with Nova?
    05-26-2013 08:55 PM

I try to push NLP to F&F and this is the only complaint they have. Some didn't mind paying for it since it offers a lot more than stock, I use it on the S4.
    05-26-2013 09:02 PM
    2.On my S3 I can still use multi window

05-26-2013 09:12 PM
    Nova is the shiz. Only launcher I've ever stuck with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums
    Jaycemiskel likes this.
    05-26-2013 09:56 PM
    ... Nova Prime actually is much faster than Touchwiz ....

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 2
    05-27-2013 12:59 AM
    thanks guys I just installed nova and it looks like it does all the things I wanted! very much like my old iPhone JB stuff for the home screen.
    08-09-2013 08:49 AM
    Nova uses so much less memory - I'm never over 1 GB used when running Nova. When running stock Touchwiz it hovers around 1.3/1.4 gb used. I'll take the extra RAM, along with more customization. Only real loss that I can see is two Samsung widgets - stock weather and calendar/daily briefing. Pretty much all other Samsung widgets work on Nova.
    08-09-2013 09:16 AM
    Personally I think Apex Launcher runs a bit better than Nova. Plus you get many features in the free version of Apex that you have to pay for in Nova.
    Apex has two main disadvantages over NOVA:

1) much more prone to screen redraws.
    2) no way to automatically sort icons in folders.

The first issue was the deal breaker for me.

I find it much easier to lock and unlock the desktop in Apex though.

Otherwise, they are very similar.

I have the paid versions of both.
    08-09-2013 10:04 AM