PC can't detect Galaxy S4

mikeshinobi

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been doing some very intensive Google-jitsu for the past hour and a half trying to solve this and still can't figure it out.

I'm connecting my S4 to my laptop but nothing happens. It charges, but both the PC and the phone can't tell they're connected to anything. I've installed the Samsung USB drivers, I've tried it with USB debugging both on and off (don't know why this would make a difference but hey!), I've restarted both devices multiple times, I've tried all my USB ports on the laptop, and I've even tried plugging it into a different computer. The only thing left that I can figure is that it's the cable - and not that the cable is bad, but I'm using a cable that I carry around in my laptop case as opposed to the "official Samsung USB cable" that came with the phone. I just can't see that being an issue though; all USB-to-microUSB cables are the same, right?

So if that's not it, then I don't know what else is left! And sadly I seem to be the only person on the internet having this problem. All the guides say "install the driver, connect it and you're done!" Yeah, well. not me :-\

onick

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
When you connect does your phone start to charge? If yes, then it might be the driver, if not then the problem can be either the cable or the port.

You can try removing the drivers. Then download and install the latest kies from Samsung and see if your phone is recognized.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site
When you connect does your phone start to charge? If yes, then it might be the driver, if not then the problem can be either the cable or the port.

You can try removing the drivers. Then download and install the latest kies from Samsung and see if your phone is recognized.

second this!

download and install Kies

mikeshinobi

May 25, 2013
Visit site

second this!

download and install Kies

Thanks for the replies guys.

The phone does charge when I plug it into the computer. Unfortunately I can't install Kies until I get home as I don't have internet access on my laptop at the moment. Hopefully that'll work!

mikeshinobi

May 25, 2013
Visit site
An update:

When I got home last night I plugged my phone into my desktop computer and it detected it just as it should. So, it would seem it's an issue with my laptop... a driver or something I guess. I had never connected my old phone to my desktop, but had connected it many times to my laptop. Also the second computer I referenced in the OP was a computer at work, but it's running Win XP (as opposed to W7 like both my laptop and desktop) so I'm guessing that's just another issue altogether.

Time for more digging around the Internet and Windows...

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site
An update:

When I got home last night I plugged my phone into my desktop computer and it detected it just as it should. So, it would seem it's an issue with my laptop... a driver or something I guess. I had never connected my old phone to my desktop, but had connected it many times to my laptop. Also the second computer I referenced in the OP was a computer at work, but it's running Win XP (as opposed to W7 like both my laptop and desktop) so I'm guessing that's just another issue altogether.

Time for more digging around the Internet and Windows...

try and go to device manager on the computer where it isn't working.... uninstall everything related to the samsung handsets, uninstall kies, and update windows (with windows update, not to buy a new one)....
after that, install Kies WITHOUT connecting your handset... when kies has been successfully reinstalled, now connect your handset and wait for the computer to completely recognize it.....

this might help you :)

mikeshinobi

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Okay so... I can't even begin to describe the level of facepalm I am feeling...

It was the cable the whole time.

Just... why? I will never understand...

So, I have 3 devices:

The old phone (LG Vortex)
New phone (Galaxy S4)
Camera

and 2 cables:

Cable that came with camera (cable 1)
Cable that came with old phone (cable 2)

Cable 1 works with both the camera and new phone
Cable 2 works only with the old phone (I confirmed it does not work with both the new phone and this camera)

So, the old cable isn't broken. It's just... what? I don't even know what. Like they somehow made it so it will only work with my old phone? So here I was banging my head against the wall because I knew the cable still "worked", and it does still "work", but apparently only with my old phone.

1bikeman

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay so... I can't even begin to describe the level of facepalm I am feeling...

It was the cable the whole time.

Just... why? I will never understand...

So, I have 3 devices:

The old phone (LG Vortex)
New phone (Galaxy S4)
Camera

and 2 cables:

Cable that came with camera (cable 1)
Cable that came with old phone (cable 2)

Cable 1 works with both the camera and new phone
Cable 2 works only with the old phone (I confirmed it does not work with both the new phone and this camera)

So, the old cable isn't broken. It's just... what? I don't even know what. Like they somehow made it so it will only work with my old phone? So here I was banging my head against the wall because I knew the cable still "worked", and it does still "work", but apparently only with my old phone.

I basically had the same issue. Tried to see my S4 on two different computers using a Verizon cable from my previous phone......nada, even after downloading and installing the Samsung USB drivers for the Verizon S4 on one of the computers. So after reading this thread, I tried a different cable. It worked on both computers! It is just a generic USB cable with a micro USB adapter. Who would of thunk?

This thread solved my problem. So, I signed up just to say thanks for the help!

Joe Evans1

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
This also helped me a lot! My original Samsung USB cable doesn't work but when I saw this post, I tried my old nokia cable and it just worked! Thank you so much op!

Jay McGoots

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey Bud,

I had the same issue(now fixed). I had downloaded the Samsun drivers for my Windows 7(x64) laptop and my device would only charge. I was using a generic micro USB cable I recieved with my work blackberry. I tried the USB cable that came with the S4 and viola! Hope this helps others too, cheers!

sucah

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with Verizon S4, and solved with:

in phone mode type *#0808#
Choose : AP on upper part and
for USB Setting, choose : MTP.

Reboot, fine!

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had the issue as well, where plugging in my phone to my desktop then doesn't see the phone, but unplugging it & plugging it back in a few times it then detects it.

At other times I just plug the phone in and it detects it right off the bat.

There's something seriously wrong with the build quality of either the phone, USB cable, or the drivers!

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The only thing left that I can figure is that it's the cable - and not that the cable is bad, but I'm using a cable that I carry around in my laptop case as opposed to the "official Samsung USB cable" that came with the phone. I just can't see that being an issue though; all USB-to-microUSB cables are the same, right?

I would like to point something out here. I do believe there is a difference. Some cables, I believe, are charging cables only whereas others are charging and data transfer cables. I had this problem recently when my PC wasn't recognizing the S4. I have a small collection of cables around the house, and I tend to inadvertently mix them up. Anyway, I could not get the S4 to load as a disk drive using the nearest cable. As it turns out, that cable was the USB-to-microUSB charging cable for my Bluetooth headphones. I swapped that for the cable that came with my Nexus 7 tablet and VOILA! PC immediately loaded the S4 as a disk drive.

So, yes, sometimes it really might be the cable that's an issue.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would like to point something out here. I do believe there is a difference. Some cables, I believe, are charging cables only whereas others are charging and data transfer cables. I had this problem recently when my PC wasn't recognizing the S4. I have a small collection of cables around the house, and I tend to inadvertently mix them up. Anyway, I could not get the S4 to load as a disk drive using the nearest cable. As it turns out, that cable was the USB-to-microUSB charging cable for my Bluetooth headphones. I swapped that for the cable that came with my Nexus 7 tablet and VOILA! PC immediately loaded the S4 as a disk drive.

So, yes, sometimes it really might be the cable that's an issue.

You would be correct, standard usb cables come with 4 pins. 2 for data and 2 for current. With those cheap dollar store cables they generally leave out the 2 data pins, because they are intended to be used as charging cables and nothing more.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

teach2

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue, however, I am using the cable that came with the phone so it should work....I have tried installing, uninstalling no luck, ready to throw phone out the window and go back to iphone.....I have spent hours on this and Verizon tech support was NO help.

Last edited:

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as well, I've spent hours installing/reinstalling and searching the net for answers. I haven't been able to transfer anything. I have to get my hands on a generic cable and try it out.

bennyhillx

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you are using a USB port that has power as well. Sometimes the ports on the front of your PC don't for some reason. I have a USB hub as well and noticed my phone wouldn't show up until I plugged the power into the hub.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are using a USB port that has power as well. Sometimes the ports on the front of your PC don't for some reason. I have a USB hub as well and noticed my phone wouldn't show up until I plugged the power into the hub.

This would be a good suggestion. Adding new hardware to your PC may overload your PSU, so it would have to shut off extra features that aren't core to its operation, namely case accessories.

Try a USB port that is directly attached to your motherboard, the ones in the back of your tower. Those are always powered regardless of the current power situation.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

sgalper

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
There seem to be a lot of non-standard Micro-USB cables around, which will usually CHARGE a device but not necessarily work as a DATA cable. The cables I was using for my HTC phone worked fine for charging, but not for data connection to my PC. The genuine Samsung cable worked great for both charging and data.