10-20-2013 12:06 PM
118 ... 345
tools
    Hey all, first post here.

I registered simply from reading through this post and thought I should give my two cents on the whole ordeal.

Im not sure if there are similar laws and legislations where the OP is located (America im guessing), but in Australia where I am, there is a particularly wonderful thing called the "Australian Consumer Law". This has saved my backside NUMEROUS times with similar issues. It states that if a salesperson misleads you or transmits incorrect information regarding a certain product, the consumer has the legal right to return the product or exchange it at any time. This is NOT restricted by a 30-day returns policy or similar.
    Again, Im unaware as to whether or not there are similar legislations in other parts of the World, but if by some stroke of luck OP IS situated in Australia, you're covered.

Now, I dont mean to stray off-topic from this thread, but I was wondering what phone you guys would suggest (I'm in the market for either the SGS4 or HTC One). I have an iPod Touch 4th Gen (32GB), and about 17GB of that is used by apps/games, and very little (around 1GB) used by multimedia. Would you suggest an SGS4 or a HTC One?
    06-06-2013 02:29 AM
    ::cough cough::

One of the bigger complaints when the Galaxy S4 launched is that all of the additional software Samsung added was clogging up valuable storage space. Samsung promised that it would address the S4 storage issue in the future, and it appears that its making good on that promise now.

According to SamMobile, Samsung is starting to roll out an update to both the international and U.S. versions of the Galaxy S4 that will allow users to move applications to an SD card. Previously, a user would need to root his or her device in order to do that. It also includes several other enhancements, including new camera firmware, an issue with smearing while scrolling, HDR video support, a semi-transparent status bar, new settings icons and more.

The software is apparently already hitting Qualcomm-based Galaxy S4 devices but an update for Exynos-equipped devices is on the way, too. A quick check on our AT&T Galaxy S4, however, showed us that an update is currently not available. Perhaps its rolling out over time or needs carrier approval, first.

Galaxy S4 Update Lets Users Move Apps to SD Card | TechnoBuffalo

Now can't we all just get along?
    06-07-2013 04:49 AM
    ::cough cough::

One of the bigger complaints when the Galaxy S4 launched is that all of the additional software Samsung added was clogging up valuable storage space.

Galaxy S4 Update Lets Users Move Apps to SD Card | TechnoBuffalo

Now can't we all just get along?
    As I posted in the Google Edition forum, it would be interesting to see just how much native onboard memory is left over on an S4 running just Jelly Bean. Engadget got their hands on a GE S4 at Google I/O and posted some pics of various screens including the settings menu but did not view or at least did post a view of the memory usage screen. BTW, bloatware is also the carriers' fault, not just samsung.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums
    06-07-2013 07:34 AM
    Yes you can, but not the market. XDA keeps a link in a thread to the latest version and can be side loaded. There is also a Dolphin version there (9.4) that works. All other market browsers besides stock and Chrome work great with Flash.
    06-07-2013 09:14 AM
    I just read this entire thread and cannot believe what's being said. I've been an iPhone person since day one. I fell head over heels for the sg4 because of the self contained apps it came with right out of the box! The photo app is phenomenal. One of my hobbies is digital photography so of course the first app downloaded was adobe photoshop. Thank goodness the free version. Then I saw what the device was capable of doing on its own!! The editing, stickers, animation, etc. within the first week, photoshop was deleted! . When I purchased mine, the first thing unasked the salesman was how large the memory was. He said "it's 16 but just so you know, it's really a little over eight." He explained this entire debate that's been going on and warned - well advised me that if I needed a lot of memory, I may want to consider another device. Shows me a brand new htc they just got in with I believe 32. The photo quality was no where near the gs4's so that what sold me. I've currently got many, many apps on it and still have plenty of space for more. I only purchased a 4 g card at the time as I didn't have any at home and didn't want to pay what the phone store was charging. My husband just brought my home a 64G card for me so now I'm really set!

Anyhow, I'll get off my soap box now but personally I think it's the salesperson's responsibility to advise their customers as not all of us are Internet researchers. I'm thankful in had a great one but even though he did advise me of the issues with the phones memory, I still bought it and absolutely love it!
    Ladislav Josephs likes this.
    06-15-2013 04:54 PM
    UPDATE: Sorry passed right over a previous post that had the same information.

I deleted my comments.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-15-2013 05:11 PM
    When I bought my Galaxy s4 with 16GB internal memory I felt comfortable to give away my S3 to a family member.
    I was convinced that when Samsung in their ads told me that 16GB internal memory was sufficient due to the external memory slot I could buy a 32 GB ext. and all would be fine.
    It isn't. It is impossible to move applications to the external card. I just got a message from the Samsung store where I bought the phone saying: It is impossible to move applications installed from Samsung to the external card. It is also impossible with other downloaded applications according to our supplier.
    This is FRAUD in legal terms.
    Can anyone can suggest a good attorneys office for all of us who feel victim of fraudulent marketing and sales ? - or a better solution - a quick solution to this problem?
    Chaim
    Don't get this pissed mate. Moving apps to SD card is now possible with the new FW update which I just did. so chill and wait this FW to hit your country. I am in INDIA
    06-16-2013 05:55 AM
    Most of the respondents are sarcastic assholes. Very few gave you helpful advice. I, too just discovered I can't use the SD card for apps. Anyone with a galaxy s would know that it was an option before.

I'm pissed. I won't get a galaxy s again. The removable battery and expandable memory for apps was what motivated me to get galaxy s 1, 2 and 3.
    orion575 likes this.
    07-05-2013 01:22 AM
    Most of the respondents are sarcastic assholes. Very few gave you helpful advice. I, too just discovered I can't use the SD card for apps. Anyone with a galaxy s would know that it was an option before.

I'm pissed. I won't get a galaxy s again. The removable battery and expandable memory for apps was what motivated me to get galaxy s 1, 2 and 3.
    It's not Samsung or the galaxy line that won't allow you move apps to SD it's Android, so blame google and don't boycott Samsung galaxy LINE, also Samsung disagreed by Google move on this and are currently rolling out updates for the s4s to allow you to move apps 2 sd.

Sent from my GT-I9500
    monsieurms and nancybout like this.
    07-05-2013 01:52 AM
    It is possible to make a little more space on the devices memory by doing the following:
    1. Go into Settings app.
    2. Hit the 'More' tab at top right of screen.
    3. Select 'Application Manager'
    4. Find an app that you know what it is but don't particularly want (emphasis on the 'you what what it is') and select it.
    5. There are usually options to 'Uninstall updates' or 'Disable'. Hitting both or one of these and then 'Ok' will affectively remove a lot of the code taking up valuable space.
    6. Bear in mind that the app you are going to do this with may be running in the background so a good idea to check the 'Running' section on this screen before removal so you can stop it first.

I've followed this with a couple of app so far (Chrome and ChatOn) and I've free'd up some space already.
    07-05-2013 04:11 AM
    Btw I have a non gaming app that uses 2.5 gbs of data. Shocking I know.

Which app?

Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk
    Formerly "Evo_girl"
    07-05-2013 08:01 AM
    The flaw in this discussion is the targeting of moving APPS to the card vs the DATA that the apps generate and use. A 16gb phone should have more than enough space for all the apps you can ever use, if they were properly developed so you could point their data storage to the card. But lazy developers chose to hard code the path of their storage files. All of the big 3 readers do this, along with Samsung's SNote app. Recently I've noticed a few apps allowing users to use their choice file manager to change their default storage area. But it is not common.
    The fault for this rests squarely with app developers. And the solution is a viral campaign to push developers to open up the storage location so users can change it. Write emails (polite ones :-) ). Leave feedback short a star for hard coded storage.

This change would eliminate this as an issue.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD
    ihbsbA likes this.
    07-05-2013 09:01 AM
    I'm seeing option to move apps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-2013 09:03 AM
    I use my card for videos and pics... music... Uses up quick lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-2013 09:04 AM
    I like to add to your comment. It appears to me that some of the people didnt bother to learn, using manual, how to use their phone and are complaining about nonexistent problem. I suggest they buy 64 gig iPad shelling out 4 times more for the memory than I spent on SD card. In addition they would be stuck with 64 gig as oppose I can have practically unlimited memory for my phone. I am using 8 to 32 gig cards for various purposes; for example one card for apps, one for video and so on.
    08-02-2013 01:39 AM
    Samsung is not responsible for this. Android by Google, is. The newer versions of android do not allow the transfer of applications to sd.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    maybe so but this is understandable for fraud issues.

Having an 8-9 gb of os out of my 16gb internal is not google this is samsung!
    08-02-2013 04:08 AM
    I realize I only have a lowly s2 (sprint's epic 4g touch version), but I am running JB 4.1.2 and can move apps to SD... as recently as today.
    08-19-2013 03:40 PM
    now it can , just go to the application manager an select the app you want , on the storage section you will find move to SD card , press it and you are done !
    10-20-2013 12:06 PM
118 ... 345