Galaxy s4 sd card can't be used to store apps

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s4 sd card, a fraud?

Never used it myself but looking at it on the play store there is mention of this:

So I'm guessing it downloads map data after the initial install. (yep, that sounds like a lot of map data)

Also, for the price of the app (it's quite pricey) I'd imagine someone that has already invested in it wouldn't want to use an alternative.

Good point. Also, isn't there a subscription on top of it as well?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I would then counter-suggest finding a different app. Waze, Mapquest, Telenav, there are many.

I have used them all, none of them in my experience does rerouting this well.
Incident that I put on another post.

There was a big rig accident blocking a lane of a freeway. In real time, TomTom saw the accident, rerouted me off the exit and back on the freeway without me having to do one single thing.
I have yet to use another app that does it for me like this. TomTom will also start popping up with faster route options for me to choose while driving as it makes adjustments based on traffic.

Now this is all based on my experience with IOS but I am assuming it is going to be same on Android.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. Also, isn't there a subscription on top of it as well?

20 dollars annually for traffic. Worth every penny in my experience.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

WOW, I can't believe I'm actually going to reply to another one of these threads!
The fact remains, the vast majority of S4 buyers will never fill the roughly 9Gb of internal storage! This is the main customer base the standard 16GB model is aimed at, PERIOD! Why make everyone pay for the extra storage so a realitive few can utilize it? If you have special needs, purchase a phone that meets those special needs! That's like telling Dell they can only sell top end gaming PCs because a very small percentage of their customer base are game enthusiasts!
I have to second the notion that the OP was playing pretty loose with the truth when he claims to have had a GS3 and was shocked when he got the GS4! There is only approx. 2Gb diference in remaining storage from S3 to S4 and NEITHER phone can move apps to SD!
Funny thing here is I still have roughly 8GB of space on internal storage but have used over 30GB of data on the SD, so a 32 GB HTC One or Nexus 4 wouldn't work for me! Should I be over on the HTC forum whinning about that? NO, that is why I bought a phone that fills my needs!
If the HTC One or Nexus 4 do a better job of filling your needs, go ahead and buy one, they are both fine devices!
You will be happy and we will be happy!

Cheers

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Here's a very brief YouTube video on how to move some of your internal storage items to your SD card. I used it and it moved at least half of my internal storage to the sd card. And it appears that my Note 2 still works.

Just tried this on my S4 and while initially it moves a bunch of app space such as cache and such... when you use the apps again they begin to recreate their cache space in the internal memory.

ljredeye

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I went back to full-time Android a couple weeks ago. I did not know about the SD card thing when I had my Galaxy Nexus and became a space cautious user. Probably because I have like one or two games, at minimum, on my phone. The rest of the space is dedicated to music, podcasts and other apps. Yes I was disappointed about not moving apps to the SD card anymore, but I get by. I just need to figure out what to do with my extra SD cards lying around.

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

WOW, I can't believe I'm actually going to reply to another one of these threads!
The fact remains, the vast majority of S4 buyers will never fill the roughly 9Gb of internal storage! This is the main customer base the standard 16GB model is aimed at, PERIOD!

Yes! Thank you. I got a 64GB SD card in my 16GB S4 at the moment. Threw a bunch of HD movies and tons of music onto the card. I installed pretty much every app that I could find a use for and still have 7.72GB of free space internally.

I'm a heavy user. Desktop is a Quadcore Ivy Bridge at 4.5GHz on water, 4GB of RAID 0, etc. I beat my equipment into the ground. I can't figure out how to fill the internal memory. How many games would I need to install. I say games, b/c I can't see how any other apps will possibly come close.

Given the SD card slot, how am I supposed to fill the internal memory?

Can someone please please post a tabulated summary of (a) what apps, and (b) how big they are, so we can see how the 16 GB runs out? Let's assume that you have 7GB free after installing the basics of Chrome, Gmail, Maps. etc.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

D
Remember that this forum is here so that people can come and ask questions, and receive answers. While sometimes the answer could be found by something as simple as searching, it is also common for people to buy the next device in their current line of phones because they are dependable. Not every person researches a device before purchasing it. There is no need to bash or talk down to someone because they are not knowledgeable about something. Remember what momma said. "If you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

Jennifer, while I totally agree that everyone should be nice to people, I also think people shouldn't complain about things when they don't research purchases beforehand well. That goes from everything from a toaster to a car to the neighborhood you live in. Research is key to avoiding disappoiments! I've bought products in the past without researching and lived to regret it. But that was my fault. Not anyone else"s. Store employees are notorious for being uninformed and not the best source to go to for information. Not just on phones, but anything. I once shopped for a car where I knew more about the car then the car salesman. I was flabbergasted. Now I research everything cause doing it myself is the only real way to know and not get fleeced.

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Given the SD card slot, how am I supposed to fill the internal memory?

Can someone please please post a tabulated summary of (a) what apps, and (b) how big they are, so we can see how the 16 GB runs out? Let's assume that you have 7GB free after installing the basics of Chrome, Gmail, Maps. etc.

Eh it's been getting beaten to death. But for myself, I can get by with the amount of internal space. But say for those that do gaming on their phone, some apps can take well over a gig of space. There are apps suchs as google play music and youtube that have options to cache media on the device but they will only use internal memory.

All in all, I can see for some use cases where one can legitimately come close to filling that space. But for those cases, it comes down to chose a different phone or get the 32GB version if available.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

It's a **** move by Samsung, they could've easily released the S4 with 32GB & 64GB like hTc did with the One. It's 2013.

Rooting should not be the answer. It's like getting an oil change done where they only filled it up half and you go out and buy the oil yourself to fill it up.

The fact remains, the vast majority of S4 buyers will never fill the roughly 9Gb of internal storage!...

Seriously, this your reason for defending Samsung because the average will never use it?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

D

Jennifer, while I totally agree that everyone should be nice to people, I also think people shouldn't complain about things when they don't research purchases beforehand well. That goes from everything from a toaster to a car to the neighborhood you live in. Research is key to avoiding disappoiments! I've bought products in the past without researching and lived to regret it. But that was my fault. Not anyone else"s. Store employees are notorious for being uninformed and not the best source to go to for information. Not just on phones, but anything. I once shopped for a car where I knew more about the car then the car salesman. I was flabbergasted. Now I research everything cause doing it myself is the only real way to know and not get fleeced.

Remember though somebody in my situation. S4 on release day. Not a single review I had watched or read mention the lack of space on the phone. I do not think they even bother looking.

It is hard to research when information itself is imperfect.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Remember though somebody in my situation. S4 on release day. Not a single review I had watched or read mention the lack of space on the phone. I do not think they even bother looking.

It is hard to research when information itself is imperfect.

If the features of this phone is so important to you that you need to make a huge deal out of it why did you not wait for at least a week or 2 after it was released to purchase the phone after reading user reviews. No one forced you to buy the phone on the day of release. It was your decision and yours only. There has been plenty of past records with glitches and unexpected problems with technology with the initial release. And lets say even if you did get the phone on the day of release. You have 2 weeks to decide whether the phone is suitable for your needs before you are locked in. You couldve returned it and got a 32 gig of some other phone. Plus with phones nowadays typically a few people that works for tech groups gets their hands on the phone prior to release date. They put out reviews of the phone on youtube. I saw plenty of those reviews out there even before initial release.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, researching what you buy before you buy it is a very smart move. It preserves your money and saves you the hassle of getting a lemon. However, as stated before, many people buy what they know without research. If they had the s2, they buy the s3, if they had an iPhone 4, they buy the 5. I can't name how many people I know walk into car dealership and buy a car because it looks good without researching it. And that's a much bigger investment than a phone.

That being said, this is the third time in this thread that everyone will be warned to please, keep the topic civil. There is no need to talk down to one another.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I can't help but remember when the Nexus 4 was released, and I said 8GB was enough for me. People, including several in this thread, were quick to let me know how wrong I was :)

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

If the features of this phone is so important to you that you need to make a huge deal out of it why did you not wait for at least a week or 2 after it was released to purchase the phone after reading user reviews. No one forced you to buy the phone on the day of release. It was your decision and yours only. There has been plenty of past records with glitches and unexpected problems with technology with the initial release. And lets say even if you did get the phone on the day of release. You have 2 weeks to decide whether the phone is suitable for your needs before you are locked in. You couldve returned it and got a 32 gig of some other phone. Plus with phones nowadays typically a few people that works for tech groups gets their hands on the phone prior to release date. They put out reviews of the phone on youtube. I saw plenty of those reviews out there even before initial release.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

32gb was not available for more than 2 weeks before after the release of S4. I had committed to the S4 I could have returned it and then go back to my iPhone. That is true, I figure I give Android a shot.

Previously I had owned the iPhone 3g-5. The most space that I ever had used by IOS is about 1.5 gigabytes. Then I have read over and over again that Samsung/Android is on par or better than Apple.

Nowhere did I read that the operating system was 4-5 times greater than IOS or that this was an issue. As I stated in my post you quoted, that not a single review stated anything about the S4 having only 9ish gb available. Also as I mention in another post, not even the salespeople were aware you could no longer store apps on the SD card.

Had a single review or the box mention anything specifically about the limited space, I would have held out. When information is not perfect and not available of course this kind of situation happens.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
ok, so are you saying that they were right that 8 gb was not enough? or you saying it's been fine?

i imagine that with your ability to try and swap new phones at whim, not a luxury everyone has, that you wouldnt fill your phone with much or have it long enough to do so anyways. but most people that are not as fortunate/lucky as you will be STUCK in a two year contract and if like me end up taking over 1000 pics over those two years (having a little one will do that to ya :)) then i imagine those 8gb goes fast and if you have the nexus 4 without sd then it becomes an issue. or say that over a year+, you have a number of apps, you keep a little bit of music, you have 500+ pics (at the size that a 13mp camera takes)... you have to start watching how much memory left for those spontaneous moments you want to shoot a vid and you find you only have enough memory to shoot half of it and miss the rest (and that has happened to me on my old 3gs a long time ago and bummed i missed the end of the vid)

of course everyones situation is different and then you can argue that they should spend the money to get the sd card and quit whining... but in good design and in thinking of consumer use (which they try to claim they do in providing so many bloated features), they should have just sold it as a 32gb unit knowing they took up so much available space. Nexus you can get away with selling an 8gb maybe because you can say it's a developers phone and some will not need more and not intended to be such a mainstream hit that it was.

I can't help but remember when the Nexus 4 was released, and I said 8GB was enough for me. People, including several in this thread, were quick to let me know how wrong I was :)

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To add an example to my last post, I have the Nexus 4 with 16gb (because I wanted to make sure I had as much available storage as possible) and earlier this month was somewhere and a rare op came up and captured it on vid... 38 minute video and the file was 1.8 gb... from a N4 with an 8mp camera. I wonder how big a 38 minute vid would be on a 13mp S4? that memory doesnt look like that much to me after a couple of vids like that.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
ok, so are you saying that they were right that 8 gb was not enough? or you saying it's been fine?

i imagine that with your ability to try and swap new phones at whim, not a luxury everyone has, that you wouldnt fill your phone with much or have it long enough to do so anyways. but most people that are not as fortunate/lucky as you will be STUCK in a two year contract and if like me end up taking over 1000 pics over those two years (having a little one will do that to ya :)) then i imagine those 8gb goes fast and if you have the nexus 4 without sd then it becomes an issue. or say that over a year+, you have a number of apps, you keep a little bit of music, you have 500+ pics (at the size that a 13mp camera takes)... you have to start watching how much memory left for those spontaneous moments you want to shoot a vid and you find you only have enough memory to shoot half of it and miss the rest (and that has happened to me on my old 3gs a long time ago and bummed i missed the end of the vid)

of course everyones situation is different and then you can argue that they should spend the money to get the sd card and quit whining... but in good design and in thinking of consumer use (which they try to claim they do in providing so many bloated features), they should have just sold it as a 32gb unit knowing they took up so much available space. Nexus you can get away with selling an 8gb maybe because you can say it's a developers phone and some will not need more and not intended to be such a mainstream hit that it was.

My point was people defend whatever choice they made, no matter the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy