I spent nearly a day getting my S4 rooted, due to random conflicting instructions on how to do it. I finally got it done. Now I have spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to flash another ROM onto my device, for many of the same reasons. It took FOREVER to figure out how to flash CWM onto my device, since the newer CWM files are .img files, and Odin doesn't like them for some reason. I eventually stumbled upon a reference to "ROM Manager", a device I have been carting around, device to device, but never really used. It took about 15 seconds to flash CWM with it. I did notice, though, that Rom Manager seems to have the capability to flash ROMs, as well. Has anyone used this in this capacity? Successes, failures? I would welcome any and all input before I attempt to try his, and NOT make my phone a brick. Thanks in advance!
    05-25-2013 08:22 PM
    I spent nearly a day getting my S4 rooted, due to random conflicting instructions on how to do it. I finally got it done. Now I have spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to flash another ROM onto my device, for many of the same reasons. It took FOREVER to figure out how to flash CWM onto my device, since the newer CWM files are .img files, and Odin doesn't like them for some reason. I eventually stumbled upon a reference to "ROM Manager", a device I have been carting around, device to device, but never really used. It took about 15 seconds to flash CWM with it. I did notice, though, that Rom Manager seems to have the capability to flash ROMs, as well. Has anyone used this in this capacity? Successes, failures? I would welcome any and all input before I attempt to try his, and NOT make my phone a brick. Thanks in advance!
    I've used Rom manager to flash before. It will boot straight into recovery and start loading the files. It's more of a user friendly way of doing so. It's also used to download roms and apps as well. But I mainly use it to backup my current ROM so in case anything happens when I flash something else. It stores the backup in an untouchable folder. I don't use it for the other stuff anymore. If I need to flash something I just boot straight into recovery myself and do it. But it's a good app.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    05-25-2013 10:49 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

I would use even more caution using ROM Manager to flash ROMs. I have heard of numerous horror stories of bad/incorrect flashes by using ROM manager. I have no qualms about using it to back up your current one, or to help flash CWM, though.
    05-25-2013 11:00 PM
    I've used Rom manager to flash before. It will boot straight into recovery and start loading the files. It's more of a user friendly way of doing so. It's also used to download roms and apps as well. But I mainly use it to backup my current ROM so in case anything happens when I flash something else. It stores the backup in an untouchable folder. I don't use it for the other stuff anymore. If I need to flash something I just boot straight into recovery myself and do it. But it's a good app.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    I have also used ROM Manager for backing up but it keeps saying 'can't mount cache' and never actually finishes properly
    Jim Taylor1 likes this.
    07-03-2013 12:01 PM
    DroidModderX on YouTube has a really quick way to root.

It literally takes less than half an hour. Including install TWCR and downloading the needed files.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-03-2013 01:55 PM
    DroidModderX on YouTube has a really quick way to root.

It literally takes less than half an hour. Including install TWCR and downloading the needed files.

Posted via Android Central App
    what is TWCR? I am wanting to root but was waiting for a root method that includes a custom recovery...

Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk
    Formerly "Evo_girl"
    07-03-2013 06:52 PM