Wifi & mobile data icons on at the same time

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
Just curious. Does this mean I am using Mobile data too?

Sometimes I just have a Wifi notification and other times I have both. So I am a little confused in that aspect.

Normally wouldn't worry about it, but this is the first time off of an unlimited plan and want to make sure I am not using Mobile data when I don't need to.

EDIT::: I thought I posted a the fix. You have to disable the CityID app that comes pre-installed on the device. If this is enabled for some reason the 4G icon is always present, if disabled the 4G icon disappears when connected to Wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

AitchKay

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the same question. I'm trying to save battery so if I have a WiFi connection, would it make sense to turn off Mobile Data, or should I always keep it on?

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
If you are on a WIfi network, your mobile data isn't on at all, no point in turning it off. All that would do is make you have to go in and turn in on when you are out of range on wifi.

Trexwarrior

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend turning off mobile data unless you are in desperate need for an extended battery run time. The reason you will sometimes see the 4G mobile data activated at the same time as WIFI is that MMS runs on mobile data not through wifi. Unless you have a third party messaging application that will run on wifi only. Apple iMessage will run completely on WIFI and will not use mobile data unless the receiver does not have an iPhone in which it will use mobile data. As far as battery concerns go I don't think leaving your mobile data on will have much of an effect on your battery run time. It will only connect when it is fetching information from the network or when it is need of location data. Hope this explains it a little bit. I was confused when I first got my Galaxy S4 and kept seeing mobile data and wifi running at the same time. Found out I couldn't send MMS using the stock messaging app without mobile data on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan