08-24-2013 07:03 PM
59 123
tools
    Take into account that a lot of people who first purchase and don't go into the system settings to configure the phone for optimal use (changing the power settings or app settings which use memory in the background of the OS) might end up with some lag that they weren't expecting. But while going through this thread, it seems like most people didn't have any lag problems even without changing settings. It's an impressive piece of hardware from what I've experienced so far. I for one am pleased with it.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    05-28-2013 08:03 AM
    I've had the Verizon S4 since last Thursday. There are times when the animation stutters a bit, but it doesn't actually slow down the phone. It just seems to be an animation thing for the most part and it isn't always there. I switched to the Nova launcher becasue on TouchWiz I could only figure out how to get 4 rows of icons but on Nova I get 5. I don't need a little key telling me what home screen I'm on, I can tell that by the content of each screen. I see the "lag" in Nova sometimes, too but it doesn't seem to be quite as bad. It didn't really bother me in TouchWiz, either, so how big of a deal it really is will depend on your personal preference.

The only software complaints I might have are similar with what I've experienced with every other Android phone. I don't know if it's me or the SD cards I've had or what, but every once in a while my phone won't recognize the SD card when I boot it up. This has happened with every Android phone I've used: Motorola Droid (worst), Motorola Droid X2 (just occasionally), and the S4 (only once so far but the phone is new). There's also a greater than what seems like should be necessary time it takes to open the camera, but only sometimes. It's not nearly as bad on the S4, but the performance is inconsistent. Sometimes it comes up immediately, sometimes it takes a couple seconds. My older two phones were orders of magnitude worse. I've just chalked these up to Android issues rather than phone specific issues.

The only hardware complaint I have so far is that it's a slippery bugger. My Droid X2 had a tackier, matte finish and didn't slide around. The S4 slides all over the place.
    05-28-2013 09:17 AM
    I've had the Verizon S4 since last Thursday. There are times when the animation stutters a bit, but it doesn't actually slow down the phone. It just seems to be an animation thing for the most part and it isn't always there. I switched to the Nova launcher becasue on TouchWiz I could only figure out how to get 4 rows of icons but on Nova I get 5. I don't need a little key telling me what home screen I'm on, I can tell that by the content of each screen. I see the "lag" in Nova sometimes, too but it doesn't seem to be quite as bad. It didn't really bother me in TouchWiz, either, so how big of a deal it really is will depend on your personal preference.

The only software complaints I might have are similar with what I've experienced with every other Android phone. I don't know if it's me or the SD cards I've had or what, but every once in a while my phone won't recognize the SD card when I boot it up. This has happened with every Android phone I've used: Motorola Droid (worst), Motorola Droid X2 (just occasionally), and the S4 (only once so far but the phone is new). There's also a greater than what seems like should be necessary time it takes to open the camera, but only sometimes. It's not nearly as bad on the S4, but the performance is inconsistent. Sometimes it comes up immediately, sometimes it takes a couple seconds. My older two phones were orders of magnitude worse. I've just chalked these up to Android issues rather than phone specific issues.

The only hardware complaint I have so far is that it's a slippery bugger. My Droid X2 had a tackier, matte finish and didn't slide around. The S4 slides all over the place.
    In regards to the lag there was a post showing how to activate the developer option. Went in, disabled the animations, now it works like a charm

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    05-28-2013 10:53 AM
    There's always going to be positive and negative reviews of every device. I assure you, I personally have a talent of being able to see either side and play "Devil's Advocate" if I needed to. Especially if I was paid by my employer to provide a counter point.

See for yourself what you think, and consider the negative AND positive reviews but don't let either sway your decision. Your own experience is worth fifty thousand reviews. If you like it, great. If you don't, return it and try something else.
    05-28-2013 11:34 AM
    One update on phone. SVoice works great with Maps. Best ever voice dictation for me. And Web browser rendering/reflow is much better than my One S.

Sent From My 32gb Samsung Galaxy S4 Running Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-28-2013 04:23 PM
    I have the S4 its a crap heap i don't suggest purchasing it http://uspcgaming.com/images/34/handle/random.gif
    Why exactly?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 06:08 PM
    I've always had the biggest iphone. I've moved from iPhone 4S 64GB and it was nearly full with podcasts and music! I was worried too about the memory but I know we've only started getting the 32GB S3 in the UK so the chances of the 32/64GB S4 any time soon were going to be very slim.

Got my 64GB card form Amazon for around 44 and my S4 with all the apps I had on my iphone and all the other stuff have still left me with loads of internal memory. All my music is on the SD card. Happy days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 07:31 PM
    Well I should get it tomorrow and I'm so excited I can hardly wait, it feels like Christmas! I don't think I'll have a problem with the 16gig because most of my gigs add up because of music, pictures and videos. I don't like a ton of apps on my phone and tend to delete the ones I don't use much. I just hope I don't have any major bugs with the phone like some have.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-28-2013 08:02 PM
    take a look at the Speck Candy Wrapper Cover - it's not bad protection and provides a really good grip
    08-24-2013 07:03 PM
59 123