Worried about all the bad reviews on Galaxy S4

Olivia23

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm expecting my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 white by this Wednesday. I've watched several YouTube videos and someone mentioned the lag but other than that no really bad reviews so I ordered it. Now I'm on these forums and most people seem to be complaining about theirs how slow it is, the memory issue etc. I'm wondering if I should have ordered the Note II instead.

I will have to try it out for my 14 days and if these issues are as bad as people say I guess I'll have to return it. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. Yes I'm an iPhone lover but I've also had my share of android phones and I've always been disappointed in their performance and always went back to iPhones. Well I'm bored of the iPhone now and was hoping this galaxy s4 would be the one to finally work like its supposed to but they way people are talking its a very buggy phone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyone who does not have a s4 that lags? How is it on verizon I wonder with LTE and switching back to 3G. Does it drop the connection? I also have a D-Link router 655 which means I'll have wifi issues (read it on one of the forums). I updated the router to the latest firmware so hoping that will not be a problem. I'm really excited about the screen size because I'm tired of looking at the iPhone 5 little screen. Hope I'll love this phone and not want to return it within the 14 days.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm expecting my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 white by this Wednesday. I've watched several YouTube videos and someone mentioned the lag but other than that no really bad reviews so I ordered it. Now I'm on these forums and most people seem to be complaining about theirs how slow it is, the memory issue etc. I'm wondering if I should have ordered the Note II instead.

I will have to try it out for my 14 days and if these issues are as bad as people say I guess I'll have to return it. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. Yes I'm an iPhone lover but I've also had my share of android phones and I've always been disappointed in their performance and always went back to iPhones. Well I'm bored of the iPhone now and was hoping this galaxy s4 would be the one to finally work like its supposed to but they way people are talking its a very buggy phone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyone who does not have a s4 that lags? How is it on verizon I wonder with LTE and switching back to 3G. Does it drop the connection? I also have a D-Link router 655 which means I'll have wifi issues (read it on one of the forums). I updated the router to the latest firmware so hoping that will not be a problem. I'm really excited about the screen size because I'm tired of looking at the iPhone 5 little screen. Hope I'll love this phone and not want to return it within the 14 days.

You're on the right path - you may not experience issues others have reported but maybe you will. I tried the Note 2 and found it simply too large to be a daily driver. Get the device, give it a run and see how you like it and what (if any) issues you have - just like you said, you have the 14 day window to run it through its paces.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Really don't think you have to worry. By nature forum goers are complainers (myself included). We congregate here to fine tune our new investments and validate or choice lol

Personally I have The One but the s4 also looks like a great choice

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This is a good phone. There are things you can do to minimalist lag, and I have done those things and am very satisfied with its performance, but am also curious about the larger Note 2 screen. I also came from iPhone.

MikeA86

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an AT&T S4 and I don't have any issues. Neither does my wife. The storage thing bothered me at first, but I just got a micro sd card. I don't think I'll ever need to load 9gigs of apps and I throw my music and pics on the card. This is the first non iPhone I've had since 09 and im very pleased with it.
I use power limiting which throttles the processor and my phone has been complemented by several people for its speed. But like what another poster said, exercise it for 14 days and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the 32gb model from ATT and I am very impressed with the performance. I see no sluggishness.

Posted via Android Central App

carpenj

May 18, 2013
Visit site
As someone else mentioned, keep this in mind. If you have 1,000 people with a bad experience, 250 may go on a forum and complain. If you have 1,000 with a good experience, maybe 10-15 will go on a message board to tell everyone.

I keep seeing everyone mention that this phone 'lags'. I've only had mine just over a week, but I use the hell out of my phones and I have yet to experience anything even similar to lag (and I, too, came from the iPhone 5). Maybe I just don't have enough crap on mine yet lol. Either way, I feel like I have a much stronger 'love' for this phone than any I've ever owned. It has much more character than any iPhone ever has. I'm mildly infatuated with it lol.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the 32gb model from ATT and I am very impressed with the performance. I see no sluggishness.

That's it, rub it in that you have a 32gb, while us folks stuck with the ball and chain known as legacy unlimited data are stuck with Verizon- Of which will probably never get the 32gb. Your are cruel. ;) Verizon on the other hand are both arrogant and cruel. Really.

steve31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the Note 2 and it was very laggy. I have the s4 now and it's a lot faster than the Note 2. Have you looked at the HTC One?

Olivia23

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My last android phone was the droid razr Maxx. I loved it at first until the update, then I couldn't longer watch flash videos. I know back then they said that adobe flash was no longer supporting mobile phones but some newer phones were able to play flash. Is the s4 able to play flash also?

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a great phone, I'm really enjoying it, moved up from an s3, big improvement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
no flash.

I am considering trading my LG OGP in for this phone in the morning. The display units lag like hell at the store, but they have all that demo crap all over them. Hope its like people say on here and lag is minimal..

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You're on the right path - you may not experience issues others have reported but maybe you will. I tried the Note 2 and found it simply too large to be a daily driver. Get the device, give it a run and see how you like it and what (if any) issues you have - just like you said, you have the 14 day window to run it through its paces.

I would not put too much stock into the reviews, I had a Rezound for along time, may said there was issues with the charging pots wearing out and a few other issues, I never saw any of those issues and so far, I have not seen any issues with my GS4, the biggest complaints are the battery and the 9 gigs of inter memory out oft he box, for me, my battery is still going strong after 13 hours and 63% left and the memory is not an issue. its going to come down to how heavy you use it. if you are into gaming, you will work the battery rather hard, thats a given. Just give it a try and see how it fits your level of use.

well that did not work as expected, did not include the other quote.

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a 32g S4 with a Samsung 64gb sdcard running perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
OK, I can't speak to the performance of the Verizon S4 and what ever bloat they choose to load on their model, I can tell you that after a little time adjusting a few settings, mainly the three transition settings in the developer settings menu, I have eliminated what little delay that existed on my device! If you want to take this a bit further you can install an aftermarket launcher such as Nova Launcher that is available for free in the Play Store. This gives you even more options that add even more adjustability/functionality/speed while still being able to use Samsungs proprietary software
Powerwise, I have been very pleased with the battery life and have no problems going 16 to 18 hrs between charges with plenty of reserve.
Generally, if you have an issue with battery life, it can usually be traced to Apps running backround processes or sincing in the backround! After eliminating or changing settings on some of these rouge apps mostly installed by the carrier, my battery performance increased markedly!
Try it out for a couple weeks and see if it is right for you...good luck

Cheers

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the Note 2 and it was very laggy. I have the s4 now and it's a lot faster than the Note 2. Have you looked at the HTC One?

I have to disagree here. My note 2 runs pretty much just as fast as the s4. Only reason I switched is because the note 2 was just too big for everyday use. Just get the s4 and try it out. You have to remember that the phone was just released and there is going to be bugs that need to be worked out. My note 2 was a little buggy at first as well but now runs really smooth after time and updates. I've owned about 25 android devices and this is usually the norm when a device is first launched. If anything just install nova launcher.

Sent from my Tmobile galaxy s4

l_bean

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and so far loving the GS4. The battery life has been awesome. Right now my phone has been off the charger for 15 hours with almost 4 hours of screen on time.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. My battery lasted for 3 days on one charge .. a huge surprise coming from an iPhone, when I couldn't last even a day. Mine was a bit laggy, but I enabled the developer options and switched off the three animations, and its now super snappy! Also turned off the s voice (i think thats the name) for the home button and it works so much faster exiting out of apps now. Of the issues many people are talking about on these forums I may have had one or two, nothing major. So don't let all the problems worry you! Just wait and see what yours is like, and remember all the raving reviews for this super phone!

jwn66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. My battery lasted for 3 days on one charge .. a huge surprise coming from an iPhone, when I couldn't last even a day. Mine was a bit laggy, but I enabled the developer options and switched off the three animations, and its now super snappy! Also turned off the s voice (i think thats the name) for the home button and it works so much faster exiting out of apps now. Of the issues many people are talking about on these forums I may have had one or two, nothing major. So don't let all the problems worry you! Just wait and see what yours is like, and remember all the raving reviews for this super phone!

I'm approaching hour 48 and am at 47%. Granted I haven't used it too much (days off work now), screen time is 2:20 mins and wifi on 75% of the time, but still, it's prety gud.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante