Worried about all the bad reviews on Galaxy S4

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You got 14 days to decide if you don't like the device. That being said I have not had a single issue with my s4. I am highly impressed with it.

sent from my galaxy s4

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Got for it I suggest. Most if not all of the complaints you see here are from ex iPhone users who are learning their new device/os. It's a great phone

Posted via Android Central App

Armifera Fatum

May 18, 2013
Visit site
How's the speaker placement on this phone? The only reason I haven't picked up this phone yet is due to the speaker being on the back of the phone...how is it lets say with volume up and you lay it on a bed..is it still audible? Or how about on a flat hard surface?.. I placed my finger lightly over the speaker in the store and the sound was almost 100% muffled but I haven't seen any complaints at all about this in any forum or any review so I'm guessing its not that bad?

Terb

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I picked my 32GB up Saturday morning, so far mine has run flawless. (Knock on wood)

I agree with everyone else, get one in your hands. Give it that 14 day trial run to make your decision.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the S4 and while it may stutter from time to time I have no lag and at least for the AT&T version, there has already been an update that smoothed out much the complaints people had.

YragTtocs

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have my ringing volume 3/4 of the way and my system and notifications at 1/2.. It is noticeably when playing music that you can't hear it as clear but I've found no issues. I glance at my phone and the notification light immediately let's me know I've I've missed anything. Ideal.

I've been an iPhone man since 2008 and I won't be going back! The S4 is a cracking piece of kit. I was worried that I wouldn't get a hold of anything bigger than the 12 GB model here in the UK but with my 64GB card I've found no issues at all.

Some of the features you will end up turning off the gimmicky ones but overall it's amazing.

I done a lot of research before buying and got myself caught up on Samsung Touch Wiz interface and so far I can say I love it. I wouldn't want the stock like my nexus 7 has. And I would condenser myself a power user.

Fantastic phone and they way it deals with notifications is superb!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Android Central Forums

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This phone is amazing. I haven't any complaints with the S4. I have every app I want and use, plus a few good games, and still have 7gb of open space. I spend way too much time playing with this device and should be working. I used to be a lot more diligent (work) with the other smartphones I've owned! This forum is the best, and has answered every question (some stupid ones too) I have asked. Salute and God bless to our Veterans!!

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I've sold a bunch of them and the only complaint I get is how weak the user storage is on the 16GB.

Other then that people seem to love it!!

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope you can see where I'm going with this. Even though I don't own an S4 and had very little hands on time with it, there is nothing wrong with the S4 and I doubt you'd regret getting one.

As for the "lag", I don't think it became a topic until the HTC One came out with Sense 5. Sure it may stutter compared to Sense 5, but the difference isn't worth making an issue about it. FWIW, in my experience, my N7 doesn't seem as responsive since I've had my One. My $.02

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
OP, keep in mind there are some people that start trying to tweak the device and deleting stuff as soon as they get their beaters on it. Some people shouldn't but do it but will and then want to blame it on the phone. Doesn't apply for everyone but you get the idea.

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
How's the speaker placement on this phone? The only reason I haven't picked up this phone yet is due to the speaker being on the back of the phone...how is it lets say with volume up and you lay it on a bed..is it still audible? Or how about on a flat hard surface?.. I placed my finger lightly over the speaker in the store and the sound was almost 100% muffled but I haven't seen any complaints at all about this in any forum or any review so I'm guessing its not that bad?

I worried about that too along with call quality while on the phone. No need to have worried. Speaker is very good with all uses. I have some dvd's on phone that I just put there and sound is loud enough to listen to without headphones. And quality is also good. Very happy--:)

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
OP, keep in mind there are some people that start trying to tweak the device and deleting stuff as soon as they get their beaters on it. Some people shouldn't but do it but will and then want to blame it on the phone. Doesn't apply for everyone but you get the idea.

Agreed, been doing that for many years with rooting and flashing roms. You always seem to lose something in the process. This phone can stand on it's own and runs fine with extra apps. Just don't use them. Also, not to sure any lag is more 4.2.2. A lot of people had that with custom roms on 4.2.2. May not have anything to do with 4.2.2, I understand that. Maybe just the kernels with those roms. But, no issues with earlier JB roms.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My last android phone was the droid razr Maxx. I loved it at first until the update, then I couldn't longer watch flash videos. I know back then they said that adobe flash was no longer supporting mobile phones but some newer phones were able to play flash. Is the s4 able to play flash also?

Flash is not officially supported on any Android phone running 4.1 or newer (the GS4 included). You can, however, "sideload" (download from a website) Flash and use a Flash-supporting browser. This will work on any phone, including the GS4 and the Razr Maxx.

Ant2013

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The S4 is a cracking piece of kit. I was worried that I wouldn't get a hold of anything bigger than the 12 GB model here in the UK but with my 64GB card I've found no issues at all.

Can I ask where you got hold of a 64GB model in the UK? The storage is the only thing I'm concerned about and I've been waiting for news of the higher capacity models.

Edit: I've just made a fool of myself with my very first post haven't I? I re-read your post and realised you were talking about the SD card not the phone. Sorry about that! I'm starting to think the 16GB version with a 64GB card will suffice for me too.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm expecting my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 white by this Wednesday. I've watched several YouTube videos and someone mentioned the lag but other than that no really bad reviews so I ordered it. Now I'm on these forums and most people seem to be complaining about theirs how slow it is, the memory issue etc. I'm wondering if I should have ordered the Note II instead.

I will have to try it out for my 14 days and if these issues are as bad as people say I guess I'll have to return it. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. Yes I'm an iPhone lover but I've also had my share of android phones and I've always been disappointed in their performance and always went back to iPhones. Well I'm bored of the iPhone now and was hoping this galaxy s4 would be the one to finally work like its supposed to but they way people are talking its a very buggy phone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there anyone who does not have a s4 that lags? How is it on verizon I wonder with LTE and switching back to 3G. Does it drop the connection? I also have a D-Link router 655 which means I'll have wifi issues (read it on one of the forums). I updated the router to the latest firmware so hoping that will not be a problem. I'm really excited about the screen size because I'm tired of looking at the iPhone 5 little screen. Hope I'll love this phone and not want to return it within the 14 days.
Worried about lag? Get the DNA if you wanna stay on VZ if not the HTC One.

jwn66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Speaker is alright, I just place a finger over it or cup it with my hand to direct the sound to me, don't have to, just helps.

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask where you got hold of a 64GB model in the UK? The storage is the only thing I'm concerned about and I've been waiting for news of the higher capacity models.

Edit: I've just made a fool of myself with my very first post haven't I? I re-read your post and realised you were talking about the SD card not the phone. Sorry about that! I'm starting to think the 16GB version with a 64GB card will suffice for me too.

Was just gonna point that out :) Don't worry I have done that with close to 5,000 posts on xda--lol Even though I have a 32 gb I have 20gb free with all I want on the phone. So, unless you are running several high memory games or 10,000 photos etc, you will be fine. Of course, if you can get 32gb, go for it. :) I have the Samsung 64gb card with 9 dvd's and still 50gb free there. The card works great :)

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
If you're used to iOS, android just won't be as smooth but the S4 is a very responsive phone. Sure touchwiz has been criticized for being bloated and makes the system lag. The performance in my opinion is excellent, and I like the features touchwiz brings. If you want the best in performance and want a vanilla android experience you can eventually load a custom ROM on your device. Personally I'm keeping touchwiz and rooting to use mobile hotspot and yo be able to move apps to SD.

Keep in mind that the iPhone has a single communications chip so even though it has LTE it will not do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am loving this phone and with all my multimedia on a 64GB card memory is not an issue. Moved up from an EVO 3D and have not looked back. Regarding the onboard memory and games, I use my 32GB Tab for all those onboard memory hogging games (and enjoy the larger screen too vs S4). The EVO did not have much RAM and zero onboard memory (had to use apps2sd with a big microSD card) and would have random reboot issues with more than 300 or so apps installed due to an apps2sd bug in earlier versions of ICS. No such problem on the S4. To stress it out, I have over 400+ apps installed without a hiccup or memory issue and not having to worry about apps2sd anymore is a godsend (glad android abandoned it in JB). The phone and messaging functions are great and love the multi-window feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12