Do launchers like Nova slow the phone's performance at all? Thanks.
    05-27-2013 06:37 AM
    Yes. I guess how slow depends on the phone you're using. My brother has an older HTC and it slowed his phone down so much, that he had to uninstall it. I've got the everything.me. Launcher on my HTC one, and it runs with no problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    05-27-2013 06:51 AM
    I actually think nova launcher makes the s4 faster

sent from my galaxy s4
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    05-27-2013 06:54 AM
    What is a launcher and why does one need it over stock?

AdamIsAdam
    05-27-2013 06:56 AM

AdamIsAdam
    It's a home screen manager that will add many features to your home screens. Examples: add number of home screens. Change icon styles, enable you to change widget sizes. Just to name a few

Posted via Android Central App
    05-27-2013 07:18 AM
    Do launchers like Nova slow the phone's performance at all? Thanks.
    If anything, it makes navigating through your homescreens faster. Launcher has nothing to do with anything else but your home screen and connecting to your apps from there. Nova is fine. they even have settings to speed up the animations to open each app.

AdamIsAdam
    Launchers are to personalize your home screen. I have a nexus 4 but I'm not a huge fan of the default icons or overall "look", so I put a launcher, download an icon pack and viola my home screen looks different. It could look like the S4 or the HTC One or the Xperia or something brand new. Head over to the home screen thread so see some of those guys work, all with custom launchers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-27-2013 08:21 AM
    Thanks. I'm ok with stock

AdamIsAdam
    05-27-2013 12:07 PM
    My understanding is that the launchers don't run "on top" of the standard launcher, the run instead of it. So you aren't running TouchWiz and Nova, you're running Nova instead of TouchWiz. So changing your launcher could make your phone slower or faster depending on its performance and the performance of any other launcher you may use. Back in the Gingerbread days (or as I like to call it "last week" for me), there's a decent chance that a full featured, third party launcher would be slower than the stock launcher becasue it had so many more features. Now, the launchers that come with the phones have just as many of their own features that a third party launcher could be faster or slower. With the most recent, flagship phones (like the S4) there probably won't be a big difference either way.

So far I prefer Nova because it gives me an extra row of useable shortcut/widget space over what I was able to get out of TouchWiz.
    05-28-2013 09:38 AM