Perhaps it's because I am coming from 5 years as an iPhone user... transferring to the S4 hasn't been too easy. One big thing for me (maybe because I'm a girl) is that the over UI (no matter the launcher used) is so dark. Everything is black and monotoned and it doesn't appear that it can be changed. So things include... settings menu, notification center....multitasking....etc...

Is this something I just have to live with or can I change it like the photo attached?
    Attached Thumbnails Android UI so dark???-33wntef.jpg  
    05-27-2013 10:24 AM
    Perhaps it's because I am coming from 5 years as an iPhone user... transferring to the S4 hasn't been too easy. One big thing for me (maybe because I'm a girl) is that the over UI (no matter the launcher used) is so dark. Everything is black and monotoned and it doesn't appear that it can be changed. So things include... settings menu, notification center....multitasking....etc...

Is this something I just have to live with or can I change it like the photo attached?
    Welcome to Android and the AC. A few more girls and we can take over this place. Girl Power! LOL

Now, to answer your question, some things have an option to use a dark theme or light theme, but one of the main reasons for the dark is that you use less battery power with dark backgrounds than light. I think it's referred to as "Holo" style, but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    05-27-2013 10:34 AM
    Now, to answer your question, some things have an option to use a dark theme or light theme, but one of the main reasons for the dark is that you use less battery power with dark backgrounds than light. I think it's referred to as "Holo" style, but I'm not 100 percent sure about that.
    I've heard too that the reason for using black, or at least dark, is to conserve battery. I use no wallpaper, and one of the reasons is for battery conservation.
    05-27-2013 10:52 AM
    The dark UI serves a purpose on the Galaxy phones, they use AMOLED displays that only draw power for the pixels that have to be lit, so pixels left dark or black use little or no battery power, while white uses the most.
    05-27-2013 01:30 PM
    Yeah, it's definitely for saving power. I always thought it looked slick, though. AMOLED does such a good job with blacks, it's a good opportunity to show that off.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P
    05-27-2013 01:35 PM
    Welcome to Android and the AC. A few more girls and we can take over this place. Girl Power! LOL

You're mostly correct except on your definition of Holo, which is the app design style (with the action bar) designed for Android 4.0+:

Android UI so dark???-uploadfromtaptalk1369683282626.jpg

Android UI so dark???-uploadfromtaptalk1369683292550.jpg

Android UI so dark???-uploadfromtaptalk1369683303698.jpg

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-27-2013 02:35 PM
    You're mostly correct except on your definition of Holo, which is the app design style (with the action bar) designed for Android 4.0+:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369683282626.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	69671

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369683292550.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	69672

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369683303698.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	69673

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Ah. Thanks. I've been on Android for about 8 months and had yet to figure that out. Just always see people complaining that the "Holo" design isn't being followed by this app or that.

05-27-2013 02:46 PM