Keys "Sticking" and Lags in Typing

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Keys "Sticking" and Lags in Typing

Actually that Google cite is lag and letters not appearing not sticking. The OP has a problem with "...it will stick on a letter and input the symbol on that letter instead. Or I may type 4 or 5 words quickly and it will hang up on a letter in the 1st or 2nd word. Another issue is that sometimes I'll hit backspace 2 or 3 times to get rid of a couple letters, and it will erase 4 or 5 words or even a whole sentence or paragraph! That's probably the backspace key "sticking." I tried resetting to factory defaults and it worked fine for a few hours after that, but then started doing it again."

Still haven't found anything about keys sticking.

That my friend is called lag. You hit a key and it does nothing....you hit it again and it deletes two words or more quickly....that is lag. It's taking a second to register the "hit" (sticking) of the first letter or letters in a word or the backspace key. I know what you are saying. As for the op, it's registering the wrong touch input. He can disable the stock keyboard and enable swype or use one from the play store. The stock Sammy KB sucks...lol

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Keys "Sticking" and Lags in Typing

That my friend is called lag. You hit a key and it does nothing....you hit it again and it deletes two words or more quickly....that is lag. It's taking a second to register the "hit" (sticking) of the first letter or letters in a word or the backspace key. I know what you are saying. As for the op, it's registering the wrong touch input. He can disable the stock keyboard and enable swype or use one from the play store. The stock Sammy KB sucks...lol

Well none of the cites you provided said anything like that they all described slowness i.e lag. No one said keys were sticking.
Do you find it strange that the problem the OP has didn't occur twice in the store but returned when he went to his car? Any explanation for that? I have one but I don't want to criticize the OP.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Go to the playstore. Look for android 4.2 keyboard and you wont have lags ever again.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Sorry it took me so long to get back. So here's what I found out:

1. Suggestion that I was last given did not help.
2. Using other keyboards did not help.
3. Went and got a brand new device (another S4 of course).. didn't help.
4. My buddy and I played around with settings for a while and figured something out: problem goes away when I disable the "Smart rotation" under the Smart screen settings. First I disabled all Smart screen settings. Problem went away completely. Re-enabled Smart stay, problem didn't come back. Re-enabled Smart pause, all good. Re-enabled Smart scroll. Still worked fine. Re-enabled Smart rotation. Problem immediately returned. Disabled Smart rotation again, problem disappeared.

Now, when I got my new device, they moved the SIM over of course. But that would not cause a problem like this to stick around (no pun intended), would it?

Speaking of "sticking", Gator352, when I used the term "sticking", I was not referring specifically to it taking a couple seconds to register that I had tapped a letter (although that lag is a major problem I'm having as well), but instead to the fact that it acted as if my finger stayed on the letter long enough to register the symbol instead of the letter. In other words, it brings up the menu of other options for that letter, and chooses the first one (the symbol that is on the display).

Anyway, that's where we're at. New device, problem is still here, but it goes away when I disable Smart rotation. If you folks would be so kind as to go into your Smart screen settings and try reproducing this issue yourselves, I'd be very grateful. :)

Last edited:

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone try this out yet?

It appears no one here actually has the problem. I'm sure many people have smart rotation enabled and don't have the sticky key problem otherwise you would have probably have had a response by now. Why don't you go back to the store get a new phone and a new sim card? Show the salesperson the problem and you shouldn't have any issues with getting a replacement.

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I got a new phone the other day. It does the same thing. But the same SIM card is in it. But what would be the point of a new SIM card? And wouldn't that mean they'd have to give me a new number?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a new phone the other day. It does the same thing. But the same SIM card is in it. But what would be the point of a new SIM card? And wouldn't that mean they'd have to give me a new number?

Since the only thing that is constant in your problem is the sim card you should get a new one. You can keep your number. I have to say the fact that you are the only person having this sticky key issue and you have tried two phones the culprit might be you. No, I'm not being snarky. I mean you couldn't recreate the issue while you were in the store and now the second phone is doing the same thing. You must be the most unlucky phone buyer in the Western Hemisphere. :)

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Since the only thing that is constant in your problem is the sim card you should get a new one. You can keep your number. I have to say the fact that you are the only person having this sticky key issue and you have tried two phones the culprit might be you. No, I'm not being snarky. I mean you couldn't recreate the issue while you were in the store and now the second phone is doing the same thing. You must be the most unlucky phone buyer in the Western Hemisphere. :)
I had the same theory originally, but the problem with that theory is that numerous friends of mine, all of whom either have the same phone, or the S3, or have used plenty of the same kinds of keyboards in the past, or a combination of those 3 things, have picked up my phone, typed in message boxes (SMS, or Facebook, or Google+), and said "DUDE! What's wrong with your phone??". So I know the problem can't be me, because even though my phone might be the only one with this particular sticky keys issue, I am not the only person who can reproduce this issue on my phone. Also, lots of people are having lag, and this sticky keys thing might just be a different manifestation of that lag problem. I dunno at this point.

I asked what the point of replacing the SIM would be because I figured the SIM doesn't hold anything on it that could possibly be causing this problem.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same theory originally, but the problem with that theory is that numerous friends of mine, all of whom either have the same phone, or the S3, or have used plenty of the same kinds of keyboards in the past, or a combination of those 3 things, have picked up my phone, typed in message boxes (SMS, or Facebook, or Google+), and said "DUDE! What's wrong with your phone??". So I know the problem can't be me, because even though my phone might be the only one with this particular sticky keys issue, I am not the only person who can reproduce this issue on my phone. Also, lots of people are having lag, and this sticky keys thing might just be a different manifestation of that lag problem. I dunno at this point.

I asked what the point of replacing the SIM would be because I figured the SIM doesn't hold anything on it that could possibly be causing this problem.

Have your friends tested the second phone? I mention the sim card because it is the only thing that is common to both phones. I agree, I have no idea how the sim card could affect the keyboard but when problem solving address the simple things first. The other common issues between your first and second phone could be software you had on both phones. Did the sticky key problem occur with the phone fresh out of the box or after you added software (APPS)? How about an SD card? Does the problem occur with the SD card (if you have one) not installed? Have you tried another keyboard? You have to admit, having the same problem with two phones that others are not having would point to something specific to you personally in the hardware or software area.

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Have your friends tested the second phone?
Yes.

I mention the sim card because it is the only thing that is common to both phones. I agree, I have no idea how the sim card could affect the keyboard but when problem solving address the simple things first.
Agreed.
The other common issues between your first and second phone could be software you had on both phones. Did the sticky key problem occur with the phone fresh out of the box or after you added software (APPS)?
Both.
How about an SD card? Does the problem occur with the SD card (if you have one) not installed? Have you tried another keyboard? You have to admit, having the same problem with two phones that others are not having would point to something specific to you personally in the hardware or software area.
No SD card. Have tried with other keyboards. Same issue.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Agreed.

Both.

No SD card. Have tried with other keyboards. Same issue.

Then you need another phone. Either a new S4 exchange or another manufacturer. As you can see from the lack of responses here to your problem or a general lack of the same problem nationwide (Google search) it might be better to try a different phone. But if you are like me a removable battery and SD card slot are my first priority. Good luck regardless.

crbauhs

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Dude first off, you're being a dillhole. Stop trying to sound so high and mighty. A google search didn't turn it up? Well it must not be real then. Yet I've never posted about mine and it happens. So man...must mean you are wrong. Way to go. Darn google not giving all the answers in the world.

Second off it is not just his phone. Mine has done that too. I'm on my third S4 right now. Multiple times on my other phones the keyboard would stick and act as if I held down a key. I bet it has happened to others too and they just classify it under the lag scenario. If they believe it is due to the lag, as I do, then wouldn't they complain more about the lag than the stickiness? Common sense there.

I swear. This place used to be good and now its all people attacking one another if they don't believe it or disagree with them. Its why I stick to XDA most of the time now.

And before you say I am attacking you, try looking at what I wrote. I'm pointing out, with sarcasm no less, that just because people don't post about it doesn't mean its not real. Jeesh.

Then you need another phone. Either a new S4 exchange or another manufacturer. As you can see from the lack of responses here to your problem or a general lack of the same problem nationwide (Google search) it might be better to try a different phone. But if you are like me a removable battery and SD card slot are my first priority. Good luck regardless.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Dude first off, you're being a dillhole. Stop trying to sound so high and mighty. A google search didn't turn it up? Well it must not be real then. Yet I've never posted about mine and it happens. So man...must mean you are wrong. Way to go. Darn google not giving all the answers in the world.

Second off it is not just his phone. Mine has done that too. I'm on my third S4 right now. Multiple times on my other phones the keyboard would stick and act as if I held down a key. I bet it has happened to others too and they just classify it under the lag scenario. If they believe it is due to the lag, as I do, then wouldn't they complain more about the lag than the stickiness? Common sense there.

I swear. This place used to be good and now its all people attacking one another if they don't believe it or disagree with them. Its why I stick to XDA most of the time now.

And before you say I am attacking you, try looking at what I wrote. I'm pointing out, with sarcasm no less, that just because people don't post about it doesn't mean its not real. Jeesh.

How is calling someone a dillhole not attacking? Please provide a Google item, android site reference or news item that mentions keys sticking. You are probably confusing lag to this guys problem, keys "sticking." Read post #24 to see what he is talking about. BTW if I was on phone #3 and i still had the same problem I would switch phone manufactures. I can't understand why you would keep going back to the same phone after three attempts. Am I missing something here. Is it that you like the other features so much that you are willing to put up with the issue you are having? Just curious.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Folks lets try and keep the discussion civil and not get personal. I believe everyone is here to help and share our experiences even if it comes off differently sometimes.

If it was me and this was happening I would be raising all hell with Samsung/carrier to have the phone replaced. Nobody should have to deal with a problem that is ruining their daily experience, specially from a new flagship product. Lets face it, things go wrong in manufacturing and defects/unknown things happen.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Folks lets try and keep the discussion civil and not get personal. I believe everyone is here to help and share our experiences even if it comes off differently sometimes.

If it was me and this was happening I would be raising all hell with Samsung/carrier to have the phone replaced. Nobody should have to deal with a problem that is ruining their daily experience, specially from a new flagship product. Lets face it, things go wrong in manufacturing and defects/unknown things happen.

Couldn't agree more.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would also like to add, I had a similar issue with an old phone of mine. Ended up getting replaced 4 times in a two week period. Bad refurbs, junk straight out of the box & even the store couldn't believe it. In the end Sprint & store came thru and gave me the option of switching to a new device of equal value. Sprint & store apologized for the inconvenience and I opted to try a different model.

whodunit

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem when I first got my s4. It stopped doing that after 3 or 4 days. It would only happen while I was at work. When I got home, it was back to normal. I thought maybe it had something to do with all my data syncing in the background, like pictures, etc. I also took the flipboard widget off my home screen because it was real laggy. That helped. There is another place in the forums that discusses this problem. Do a search for "strange phenomenon with my galaxy s4". Hope this helps. :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

Jim Krill

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes my wife had this same issue. We turned off all of her smart screen controls and the problem has been gone for the past 22 hours. She does not use any of them so we will leave them off. Thank you for posting your experience on this forum it was a great help for my wife and I.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol