S4, 10 million sold, HTC One ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
First off I haven't read all of the posts here due to all the arguing and overseers stepping in.

....But the Wall Street Journal reported May 22nd:

HTC has sold around 5 million One smartphones since its launch about a month ago, said the HTC executive.

"Orders are pretty good so far and are still more than what we can supply. This is partly due to the shortage of components. When the issue is resolved next month, we will have a better idea if it's doing really well or not," he said.​

I'd say it's a qualified success from a numbers standpoint. And more power to them! We the consumers need strong manufacturers competing against each other in the marketplace.

Evidently the HTC First has been pulled off the market due to ... what, not even people want the first Facebook Android phone?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you are serious then I'll post it over there.

Well it's too late now.

But seriously, next time you want to post something controversial like this PM me first and I'll offer suggestions to make it less heated. :) The wording makes all the difference.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
First off I haven't read all of the posts here due to all the arguing and overseers stepping in.

HTC has sold around 5 million One smartphones since its launch about a month ago, said the HTC executive.

"Orders are pretty good so far and are still more than what we can supply. This is partly due to the shortage of components. When the issue is resolved next month, we will have a better idea if it's doing really well or not," he said.​

I'd say it's a qualified success from a numbers standpoint. And more power to them! We the consumers need strong manufacturers competing against each other in the marketplace.

Evidently the HTC First has been pulled off the market due to ... what, not even people want the first Facebook Android phone?

It was a bit of a dud. Wasn't the HTC status also an android facebook centered phone?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Wilbur, the article I cited in the OP and other sites are quoting an unnamed HTC executive as saying the 5 million wasn't an official number. That may mean the actual figures were more or less than 5 million.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I wish I could remember where, but I read that Facebook was supposed to hold off on releasing Home on the Play Store. Not sure how true it is, but knowing how much inside baseball is played with stuff like this it makes sense. The people that would've bought the First for the Facebook stuff instead just used the launcher.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Not a student of human nature huh? When I was in the Army squad members would argue and fight amongst themselves. But let another squad challenge your fellow squad member and your squad would untie as one against the other squad. Platoons (made up of squads) competed against and bad mouthed the other platoons in the company but let another company challenge yours and your whole company would defend unite against the other. That behavior continued all the way up the line until it was the Army against the Navy, Air Force or Marines. But of course when war occurred we were all one military. That's the way human nature is. You and your brother (Android Users) can argue continuously but let another person (iOS users) criticize your brother and suddenly you are defending him. I'm sure you had good intentions with your post but you are tilting at windmills. Millions of years of human development and interaction will not be changed by a forum post.

Not trying to change the world.
Just giving you and other members some considerate advice on how to get along with others. But if your human nature to wrangle is too strong for you to get a handle on, then I hope perhaps some here will benefit themselves by my post.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Who cares how much a phone sold?

Fact is the one is a great phone, period.

It's on my short list of phones I'd like.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone seen my stapler?

Who cares about sales figures? Just get the device you like and be done with it. Both the S4 and One bring things to the table. The sales figures don't play a part in what I buy. I get the device I want, based on my personal research, not sales figures. Do you ask how many "X brand" cars are sold before you bought the one you have? I doubt it.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Well it's too late now.

But seriously, next time you want to post something controversial like this PM me first and I'll offer suggestions to make it less heated. :) The wording makes all the difference.

He knew what words he was choosing.
He has carefully chosen the words for his posts throughout this thread. He finds enjoyment in baiting.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung was never officially caught doing this.

To be honest, there were more people playing against the S4 this time around (press wise and in forums)

Not to go too far off-topic, but yes, they were. Samsung was even fined for doing it.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Wilbur, the article I cited in the OP and other sites are quoting an unnamed HTC executive as saying the 5 million wasn't an official number. That may mean the actual figures were more or less than 5 million.

As I said in my posting I quoted a Wall Street Journal article dated May 22nd.

And Samsung has said they've doubled that number in roughly the same time period.

Apple will probably sell more iPhones than both of them combined (smartphones).

Of the three companies it matters the most for HTC. Financially they appear to be on the ropes...

I'm an Apple investor but I will buy an Galaxy S4 to replace my 2-year-old Droid Charge.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
As I said in my posting I quoted a Wall Street Journal article dated May 22nd.

And Samsung has said they've doubled that number in roughly the same time period.

Apple will probably sell more iPhones than both of them combined (smartphones).

Of the three companies it matters the most for HTC. Financially they appear to be on the ropes...

I'm an Apple investor but I will buy an Galaxy S4 to replace my 2-year-old Droid Charge.

I think you need to look at smartphone sales figures. Apple won't sell more iPhone's than the combined smartphone sales of Samsung and HTC. Unless you're going to specify The S4 and One. Then yes, you may be correct.

HTC has lost NO MONEY. How are the financially "on the ropes"?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Can you provide a news article or web site to confirm that? I can't find it. Thanks.

They have not yet been convicted, but if they do, they face a charge of up to $835000

Samsung has released a statment apologizing for the incident and said that it was "unfortunate" but was a miscommunication and they have ceased doing business with the people responsible.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57579749-94/samsung-probed-for-allegedly-bashing-rival-htc-online/

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think your statement here:

The announcement of 5 million HTC Ones sold came from an unnamed source. Now another unnamed HTC unnamed source says that 5 million figure is not an official figure.

... indicates that even you don't believe HTC is inflating their numbers as a sales tactic. This is a debate between two unnamed sources just saying stuff. If HTC's CEO said 5 million and then it turned out to be 1 million, then we should wonder why... but since it's just some unnamed people jabbering nonsense, comparing their statements to each other seems pretty pointless. HTC can't be lying about their figures if they've never made a statement.

I am providing this article for those who might be concerned about purchasing a phone from a company that might be inflating their sales figures to stay alive.

That last part, if the CEO of HTC did say 5 million and it was really 4.85 million or 5.15 million, and we found out it was a lie and not a mistake based on preliminary numbers, etc.... how does that lead to the conclusion that the motivation for the lie is in order to "stay alive"? They're profitable. Is that suggesting they need help to stay in the market share game? They're in 2nd. They're way behind first, but surely not in danger of falling off the map (assuming they support their new devices well), especially with the enthusiasm generated in the One thus far.

They've earned a lot of happy customers this quarter. Who really cares if it's 3 million or 10 million? They're selling faster than they can make them.

I'm not an HTC One owner, but I don't see how this is news unless 1. An official statement is proven to be a lie and 2. That lie is shown to somehow benefit HTC or to harm their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.