S4, 10 million sold, HTC One ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think your statement here:

... indicates that even you don't believe HTC is inflating their numbers as a sales tactic. This is a debate between two unnamed sources just saying stuff. If HTC's CEO said 5 million and then it turned out to be 1 million, then we should wonder why... but since it's just some unnamed people jabbering nonsense, comparing their statements to each other seems pretty pointless. HTC can't be lying about their figures if they've never made a statement.

That last part, if the CEO of HTC did say 5 million and it was really 4.85 million or 5.15 million, and we found out it was a lie and not a mistake based on preliminary numbers, etc.... how does that lead to the conclusion that the motivation for the lie is in order to "stay alive"? They're profitable. Is that suggesting they need help to stay in the market share game? They're in 2nd. They're way behind first, but surely not in danger of falling off the map (assuming they support their new devices well), especially with the enthusiasm generated in the One thus far.

They've earned a lot of happy customers this quarter. Who really cares if it's 3 million or 10 million? They're selling faster than they can make them.

I'm not an HTC One owner, but I don't see how this is news unless 1. An official statement is proven to be a lie and 2. That lie is shown to somehow benefit HTC or to harm their customers.

Funny how when an unnamed source at HTC said they sold 5 million, few people here at AC questioned the guy's veracity. But when an unnamed source at HTC says the sales figures are not official some people disregard the news because it came from an unnamed source. Human nature being what it is people accept what they agree with but downplay what they don't. As stated in my OP the news article was provided for those who come here looking for information about a phone they may be considering. The back and forth with current HTC Ones owners is fun but not the intent of my OP. Some people could care less about whether HTC sold 5 million or 1 million HTC Ones. But some might. Not my, or your, decision as to whether they should or not.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it's fair to question the timing and veracity of the HTC sales figure release. It came mere hours after several articles being posted on the interwebs about high profile departures from HTC and talk of panic within the ranks. It would have been one thing if the CEO himself gave the sales figures (as in Samsung's case) but to have an unnamed source do it makes it at least questionable.

Regardless of what either phone sells, I'm happy to have both in my possession.

BKBayemi

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Although one shouldn't base their purchase on sales number, knowing never hurts. With that said, why didn't AC cover this, if not, start the conversation? I understand that HTC is going through hard times and doesn't need more bad news, but this requires some investigation.

Posted via Android Central App

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It always makes me laugh here how the negative, rude, sarcastic comments get 15 "likes" and 5 "thanks" but the positive, complimentary, friendly comments get ignored completely. Shows what kind of nonsense battle we fight.
I found your comment negative, rude, sarcastic but I didn't like it. Just kidding. :D

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I found your comment negative, rude, sarcastic but I didn't like it. Just kidding. :D

I got a nice laugh out of that. Touche!

But seriously, both phones are great. I started out preferring the HTC One and recently i've leaned a bit more toward the S4. But i'd be thrilled with either one. I don't think sales numbers should matter as long as you are happy with your choice, but isn't the huge point in all of this whether or not HTC can finally threaten Samsung enough to provide a healthy competition? That is what makes me concerned about sales numbers. I want HTC to find massive success so that Samsung doesn't go lax. I would love to hear official sales numbers on both devices so that we can see how well the One is competing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got a nice laugh out of that. Touche!

But seriously, both phones are great. I started out preferring the HTC One and recently i've leaned a bit more toward the S4. But i'd be thrilled with either one. I don't think sales numbers should matter as long as you are happy with your choice, but isn't the huge point in all of this whether or not HTC can finally threaten Samsung enough to provide a healthy competition? That is what makes me concerned about sales numbers. I want HTC to find massive success so that Samsung doesn't go lax. I would love to hear official sales numbers on both devices so that we can see how well the One is competing.

This is how I feel as well. I like both phones. Still unsure what to get when I get a little more $.. But competition is nice. Makes them strive to provide something better each year.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you need to look at smartphone sales figures. Apple won't sell more iPhone's than the combined smartphone sales of Samsung and HTC. Unless you're going to specify The S4 and One. Then yes, you may be correct.

HTC has lost NO MONEY. How are the financially "on the ropes"?

Kevin, HTC is a publicly traded company. IF you make little profit investors won't purchase shares in your company.

From a Wall Street Journal article dated April 8th:

TAIPEI?HTC Corp.'s first-quarter net profit slumped 98% from a year earlier after sales suffered from the delayed launch of the company's new flagship smartphone.

In 2010, HTC was the largest vendor in the U.S. of devices running Google Inc.'s Android operating system.

HTC's net profit fell to 85 million New Taiwan dollars (US$2.8 million) for the three months ended March 31 from NT$4.47 billion a year earlier. The most recent result is HTC's lowest quarterly net profit since the company started selling products under its own brand in 2006.

HTC's global smartphone market share fell to 4.6% in 2012 from 8.8% in 2011, according to market-research firm IDC.

Now, from a more recent Taipei Times business article dated May 6th:

HTC Corp maintained a 3.1 percent share of the global smartphone market in the first quarter as its share gains in North America were offset by losses in other regions, US brokerage Morgan Stanley said on Friday.

So, from the 4th quarter of 2012 to the 1st quarter of this year HTC's share of global smartphones has dropped further from 4.6% to 3.1%. Honestly, I don't think this latest report takes into consideration of the recent HTC One sales which by most reports has been exceptional.

Lastly, lets look at the recent quarterly financials:

2nd quarter 2012 Revenue = $2,918.6 billion, net income $246.8 million
3rd quarter 2012 Revenue = $2,264.5 billion, net income $130.1 million
4th quarter 2012 Revenue = $1,989.1 billion, net income $33.7 million
1st quarter 2013 Revenue = $1,426.6 billion, net income $2.8 million

Granted, its best to look at year-to-year quarters for the best financial comparison but the downward revenue plunge and sinking profit, coupled with decreasing market share, is NOT what an investor wants to see. Without future investments ... HTC is doomed. Hopefully the ONE and variants of it can change HTC's direction. I really want HTC to succeed as a major manufacture.

Frank Estevez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has shipped 10 million, not sold. Don't let the thread title mislead you. And how can this be considered a win over the One? A mainstream device will sell like a mainstream device regardless of its competitors. So it was a given that the S4 would sell more than the One, but in any case, the One is still holding its ground in sales numbers even against a strong competitor like the S4.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has shipped 10 million, not sold. Don't let the thread title mislead you. And how can this be considered a win over the One? A mainstream device will sell like a mainstream device regardless of its competitors. So it was a given that the S4 would sell more than the One, but in any case, the One is still holding its ground in sales numbers even against a strong competitor like the S4.

You do realize that unnamed source who touted the 5 million HTC One sales didn't say sold to "consumers". He just said sold. Do you have any inside information that the phones were actually sold to consumers and not just shipped? And remember, unlike Samsung's sales figures, HTC One sales figures are unofficial.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The announcement of 10 million S4s sold came from the CEO of Samsung. The announcement of 5 million HTC Ones sold came from an unnamed source. Now another unnamed HTC unnamed source says that 5 million figure is not an official figure. Here's the article:

HTC One 5 million sales figure is not official : The Droid Guy

And before the flame throwers are lighted, I am providing this article for those who might be concerned about purchasing a phone from a company that might be inflating their sales figures to stay alive. On the other hand, the official figure could be more than 5 million. Time will tell.

It's perhaps fair to post a link to this article, but it's not fair to say that HTC is the one spreading rumors about their sales figures. You have no evidence for that and it's just pure speculation on your part. So it looks like you were the one that lit the first torch.

And last time I checked, HTC was still profitable, and by all accounts they just released a unique and solid device that does a better job of standing out in the crowd compared to the One X. So perhaps we should all just keep that in consideration while proclaiming HTC dead.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's perhaps fair to post a link to this article, but it's not fair to say that HTC is the one spreading rumors about their sales figures. You have no evidence for that and it's just pure speculation on your part. So it looks like you were the one that lit the first torch.

And last time I checked, HTC was still profitable, and by all accounts they just released a unique and solid device that does a better job of standing out in the crowd compared to the One X. So perhaps we should all just keep that in consideration while proclaiming HTC dead.

One unnamed HTC official claims that the Company has sold 5 million phones. Another unnamed official says that that number is unofficial. Doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to suspect something is afoot. Funny how the HTC aficionados swallowed whole the information from one HTC unnamed official but don't accept the statement of another HTC unnamed official. One mans fact is another man's folly.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
One unnamed HTC official claims that the Company has sold 5 million phones. Another unnamed official says that that number is unofficial. Doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to suspect something is afoot. Funny how the HTC aficionados swallowed whole the information from one HTC unnamed official but don't accept the statement of another HTC unnamed official. One mans fact is another man's folly.

Newspapers don't print sales figures like that unless they've been vetted. They can get in a lot of trouble for doing so if the figures are wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yet you posted it in a S4 forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

New here are you? If I had posted this in the HTC One Forum there would have been a feces storm. Just look how many HTC One owners/lovers have posted here in the S4 Forum. And did you miss the part about, "those who come here looking for information?" Any one here is free to post the OP in the HTC Thread, including you. BTW, what the heck are you doing in you avatar photo?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Newspapers don't print sales figures like that unless they've been vetted. They can get in a lot of trouble for doing so if the figures are wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

They print information from an unnamed source and they are worried about getting something wrong? HaHaHaHaHaHa...........

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I just wanna say thanks to everyone here this had been awesome reading all the back and forth. The fight between everyone is showing how much people like and want to defend their phones. I like the one guys comment about platoons and squads and how we would all band together and **** on an IOS user if they were talking bad about android in genersl.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Frank Estevez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
You do realize that unnamed source who touted the 5 million HTC One sales didn't say sold to "consumers". He just said sold. Do you have any inside information that the phones were actually sold to consumers and not just shipped? And remember, unlike Samsung's sales figures, HTC One sales figures are unofficial.
How is stating the number of devices shipped considered sales figures?Also, I don't doubt the unofficial sales figures of the One one bit. It seems like a reasonable number and it isn't exaggerated or undermined.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
How is stating the number of devices shipped considered sales figures?Also, I don't doubt the unofficial sales figures of the One one bit. It seems like a reasonable number and it isn't exaggerated or undermined.

Not sure of what you are saying there Frank but HTC claimed 5 million sales but nowhere that I've seen did they say sold to consumers, only sold. A lot of people here take at face value that HTC unofficial sales figures refer to in the hands of the consumer phones. Do you know that to be true? Comparing S4 sales to HTC sales while saying HTC is not only talking about shipped phones is not factual.

Edit: What factual information do you base your claim that, "it isn't exaggerated or undermined?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad