06-04-2013 11:10 AM
35 12
tools
    This is really at the heart of most of the love for the One. Put the One in the S4 body and it won't win a single comparison. Is the camera better? No. Does it have good ergonomics? No. Is the battery better? No. Can you tweak the LED? No. Does it have a black menu bar across the bottom of many apps? Yes. Not even going to the removable battery and sd card.

That being said the build materials are exceptional and if the good folks at AC put a premium on the premium build then it is with good basis.
    Not sure if it is just the premium build. Touchwiz UI is hideous. The design is all over the place. Say what you will about Sense 5 but it is beautiful compared to Touchwiz. It has one cohesive look and everything just flows well (without lag) whereas everything seems rather disjointed with touchwiz. While I think a lot of the lag issue has been blown out of proportion I do notice stutters where I don't on the One. Nothing that is a deal breaker or anything. I use Nova but for the most part it is just lipstick on a pig. Ditch the hideous green toggles and make the settings menu more like stock Android and I'd be completely happy. Looking forward to trying out the Google Edition.

Right now the s4 is my daily driver but I can easily see how someone would pick the One over the s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-29-2013 11:18 PM
    Not sure if it is just the premium build. Touchwiz UI is hideous. The design is all over the place. Say what you will about Sense 5 but it is beautiful compared to Touchwiz. It has one cohesive look and everything just flows well (without lag) whereas everything seems rather disjointed with touchwiz. While I think a lot of the lag issue has been blown out of proportion I do notice stutters where I don't on the One. Nothing that is a deal breaker or anything. I use Nova but for the most part it is just lipstick on a pig. Ditch the hideous green toggles and make the settings menu more like stock Android and I'd be completely happy. Looking forward to trying out the Google Edition.

Right now the s4 is my daily driver but I can easily see how someone would pick the One over the s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    It's purely a personal preference. I prefer the vivid colors of touchwiz to the black and white sense. Regardless I agree the One is snappier though game play seems smoother on the S4. I have next 3d launcher on both phones.
    Aquila, aggie and orion575 like this.
    05-30-2013 05:44 AM
    I got to play with another S4 today, but not for long battery was dying. I think I would give it first or third, but not second. Depending on priorities I think it's either One > N4 > S4 or S4 > One > N4. Either way, One > N4, so it's really a touchwiz/buttons + some awesome features and awesome hardware or stock on a smaller screen with less gadgets and gizmos out of the box.... I love the hell out of some Nexus, but I can't put it over the One because of carrier availability, LTE, etc.... and that logic puts the S4 up front. Sorry, AC.... you're wrong, I was wrong.... S4 wins for May 30th. When Verizon gets the One, lets revisit.

Edit: Just rethought this in the context that the US is not the world; One wins again. One wins again! Great job AC!
    05-30-2013 05:49 AM
    It's purely a personal preference.
    No Madlaw... I think you can understand this is purely a logical choice. Can you imagine the fallout if the One was Two and the Four was One? Go ahead and try to plot that, I'll wait.

The One had to be One for obvious reasons....

The content of this post is a work of satire and has not been officially endorsed by the author, Android Central or wallabies anywhere.
    madlaw1071, aggie and TomsAndroid like this.
    05-30-2013 05:55 AM
    It's purely a personal preference. I prefer the vivid colors of touchwiz to the black and white sense. Regardless I agree the One is snappier though game play seems smoother on the S4. I have next 3d launcher on both phones.
    Agree the s4 seems to handle games a bit better. Modern combat 4 works great on both but a little more smooth on my s4. But other than that the only game I play is that stupid candy crush game. Like you said personal preference. That's the problem with rankings they are based on exactly that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-2013 08:21 AM
    I have to disagree with AC's view on the #1 phone and not because of the phone I own, but because they chose it based more on aesthetics than actual specs/features. Aluminum vs plastic so what, camera that sucks, front facing speakers, ok that is nice, but again how is that a huge paradigm shift. No removable battery, no expansion (good luck with 32GB Google Dev Phone), Sense is SUBJECTIVE at best and I won't use it ever again.

Samsung's use of plastic does not bother me at all, I put my phone in a case every time so I wouldn't know the difference, the screen is smaller, yet 1080p, the camera is lower in quality and performance and good luck repairing it.
    orion575 likes this.
    05-31-2013 09:08 PM
    The one's camera is better for a phone. Better in low light. OIS, faster lens, better features (zoe/highlights), more responsive, good in good light, enough pixels for the purpose and much smaller file size. The s4 can take some great shots in good light, but in lower light it is noisier and lacking OIS makes slow shutter speed shots impractical

TomsAndroid and Topgonzo like this.
    05-31-2013 09:24 PM
    You forget to mention, almost no shutter lag on the HTC One.
    The one's camera is better for a phone. Better in low light. OIS, faster lens, better features (zoe/highlights), more responsive, good in good light, enough pixels for the purpose and much smaller file size. The s4 can take some great shots in good light, but in lower light it is noisier and lacking OIS makes slow shutter speed shots impractical

06-04-2013 01:19 AM
    I have to disagree with AC's view on the #1 phone and not because of the phone I own, but because they chose it based more on aesthetics than actual specs/features. Aluminum vs plastic so what, camera that sucks, front facing speakers, ok that is nice, but again how is that a huge paradigm shift. No removable battery, no expansion (good luck with 32GB Google Dev Phone), Sense is SUBJECTIVE at best and I won't use it ever again.

Samsung's use of plastic does not bother me at all, I put my phone in a case every time so I wouldn't know the difference, the screen is smaller, yet 1080p, the camera is lower in quality and performance and good luck repairing it.
    It is all just an opinion of the AC team. Just as your opinions that the removable storage is needed and the design doesn't matter since you put cases on your phones.

My phones are always naked and I have a 16GB S3 with a SD card.. The SD card barley gets used. So as you could imagine not having it won't hurt me and the design is a factor for me since I like the nude . Also for repairing.. I haven't had to repair any phones and even if I did.. Simply take it apart like any other electronic. .

So as you can see some may like the other side of the fence.. Phones are based on needs and that's why no phone will be #1 always.. I am sure many other tech sites chose the S4.. Since they like it better. .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    06-04-2013 09:51 AM
    It is all just an opinion of the AC team. Just as your opinions that the removable storage is needed and the design doesn't matter since you put cases on your phones.

My phones are always naked and I have a 16GB S3 with a SD card.. The SD card barley gets used. So as you could imagine not having it won't hurt me and the design is a factor for me since I like the nude . Also for repairing.. I haven't had to repair any phones and even if I did.. Simply take it apart like any other electronic. .

So as you can see some may like the other side of the fence.. Phones are based on needs and that's why no phone will be #1 always.. I am sure many other tech sites chose the S4.. Since they like it better. .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Very well put it is about needs not sales nothing else.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk
    Topgonzo likes this.
    06-04-2013 11:10 AM
35 12