AC Picks S4 As Runner Up Phone of the Year(To date)

perrochingon

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Even though I chose the galaxy s4, I would have a hard time arguing their decision. Both are great devices. I could have easily flipped a coin and been happy with either.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Since I just own the HTC One I can't speak to the lag they cite, but it's clear from reading the reviews on both devices that they're both outstanding phones, and it comes down to which design choices and feature sets best match each individual's preferences and needs. I am like perrochingon: while I feel good with my personal choice and think I picked the phone that best matched my wants & needs, I suspect I'd have been thrilled with the S4 too.

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Either phone is surely a worthy choice... but I wonder if the GS4 they used that experienced the lag they describe was on a carrier that later received the OTA update that many forum users claimed fixed their lag? I'm on a VZW GS4 and cannot find lag at all (i've been looking based on the forum comments on it). I suppose its possible that VZW baked in the fix prior to release (doubt it). One difference i did notice is that on the VZW GS4 the double-click home button is NOT set to launch S-Voice by default.

Since it seems the 'lag issue' was the deciding factor in their analysis, would this have come out as a tie or advantage Samsung if their device had been updated?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Either phone is surely a worthy choice... but I wonder if the GS4 they used that experienced the lag they describe was on a carrier that later received the OTA update that many forum users claimed fixed their lag? I'm on a VZW GS4 and cannot find lag at all (i've been looking based on the forum comments on it). I suppose its possible that VZW baked in the fix prior to release (doubt it). One difference i did notice is that on the VZW GS4 the double-click home button is NOT set to launch S-Voice by default.

Since it seems the 'lag issue' was the deciding factor in their analysis, would this have come out as a tie or advantage Samsung if their device had been updated?

It's more than just the lag. The editors/proprietors of AC have an admitted preference for the HTC One whether it's rooting for the underdog or otherwise. The One was always going to win any and all ties and receive the benefits of every doubt.

To their credit, our hosts are up front and honest with their preference unlike many sites which don't admit their bias or preferences. This is why I come here even if I don't always agree with their conclusions.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
They clearly meant the 16GB model S4 was runner up...the 32 GB model is numero uno! At least that is my story!

The ac team has rarely picked the best phones every year. ;) They do not want the android phone that everyone has!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Last edited:

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Having both, I can't blame them for their decision. Theyre both excellent, and both have their pros and cons.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They clearly meant the 16GB model S4 was runner up...the 32 GB model is numero uno! At least that is my story!

The ac team has rarely picked the best phones every year. ;) They do not want the android phone that everyone has!

Please read THIS, THIS, and THIS. Historically the choices have been primarily Samsung devices, with a few others sprinkled in here or there. I saw far more recommendations for the S3 last year from anyone at AC than I did the One X (or pretty much any other phone other than a Nexus).

Before you go making claims like you made you should probably make sure you have your information straight.

Oh yeah, be sure to check out the top two picks in THIS ROUNDUP for International devices. It seems as though AC has a bias for Samsung. ;)

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought the GS4 and then traded it for the One. I'm now back with the GS4. Both are great phones but I like the GS4 way better. I actually laughed when I read the GS4 came in 2nd. Call quality and camera were terrible on the One compared to the GS4. Not sure what they were comparing.

Posted via Android Central App

seigen

May 29, 2013
Visit site
They are comparing the aluminum body vs plastic body mostly, which is almost an invalid point because any sane person will use protective case. Also plastic body is lighter in weight.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the HTC One and S4 are Rocky and Apollo Creed. We just saw Rocky 2, of course Rocky wins.... the real question is, who is going to play the role of Mr Mohawk and Gold Chains himself, Clubbbeeeeeer Laaane!! This phone is not yet rated, expected release fall of 2013.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
They are comparing the aluminum body vs plastic body mostly, which is almost an invalid point because any sane person will use protective case. Also plastic body is lighter in weight.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is really at the heart of most of the love for the One. Put the One in the S4 body and it won't win a single comparison. Is the camera better? No. Does it have good ergonomics? No. Is the battery better? No. Can you tweak the LED? No. Does it have a black menu bar across the bottom of many apps? Yes. Not even going to the removable battery and sd card.

That being said the build materials are exceptional and if the good folks at AC put a premium on the premium build then it is with good basis.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is really at the heart of most of the love for the One. Put the One in the S4 body and it won't win a single comparison. Is the camera better? No. Does it have good ergonomics? No. Is the battery better? No. Can you tweak the LED? No. Does it have a black menu bar across the bottom of many apps? Yes. Not even going to the removable battery and sd card.

That being said the build materials are exceptional and if the good folks at AC put a premium on the premium build then it is with good basis.

So not smoothness of software, ui design and zoes? I think people did make a huge deal out of aesthetics and build materials (mistaking this often for being the same as build quality), but may have been raving about the software experience while disparaging the experience with TouchWiz (bloat, lag, etc). I think it's a little bit of a total package argument, that software on that screen with that camera, etc. versus the other combination; making it entirely subjective.

This also plays on the relative expectations of each: HTC relieved us by not releasing a total let down and keeping their dog in the fight, while Samsung was perceived to release an "s" version. That's been talked about quite a bit, and realistically I agree the S4 is MUCH better than the S3, but the expectation was of a total redesign/refresh of the line (not sure why, but I was hoping for it too). This seems to make people more critical of Samsung's choices and more willing to give HTC a pass on similar decisions.

I can still make an argument for either of these two or the Nexus 4 being the top phone in existence, but where Samsung leads on the spec sheet, it's the hardest to argue in favor of, out of those three. I have no problem recommending it to previous Samsung owners, but it's harder to do it justice for people on iOS, older HTC, LG and Moto devices.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Please read THIS, THIS, and THIS. Historically the choices have been primarily Samsung devices, with a few others sprinkled in here or there. I saw far more recommendations for the S3 last year from anyone at AC than I did the One X (or pretty much any other phone other than a Nexus).

Before you go making claims like you made you should probably make sure you have your information straight.

Oh yeah, be sure to check out the top two picks in THIS ROUNDUP for International devices. It seems as though AC has a bias for Samsung. ;)

Last year they had it right! My post was scarcasm and while I know I may be hard to pick up in written form but please do not say that is frowned upon...

In all honesty ac or anyones elses recommendation have almost no impact on me. Glad the HTC one is doing betrer than the One X. I still would not want one even if it was free...well maybe to resell.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So not smoothness of software, ui design and zoes? I think people did make a huge deal out of aesthetics and build materials (mistaking this often for being the same as build quality), but may have been raving about the software experience while disparaging the experience with TouchWiz (bloat, lag, etc). I think it's a little bit of a total package argument, that software on that screen with that camera, etc. versus the other combination; making it entirely subjective.

This also plays on the relative expectations of each: HTC relieved us by not releasing a total let down and keeping their dog in the fight, while Samsung was perceived to release an "s" version. That's been talked about quite a bit, and realistically I agree the S4 is MUCH better than the S3, but the expectation was of a total redesign/refresh of the line (not sure why, but I was hoping for it too). This seems to make people more critical of Samsung's choices and more willing to give HTC a pass on similar decisions.

I can still make an argument for either of these two or the Nexus 4 being the top phone in existence, but where Samsung leads on the spec sheet, it's the hardest to argue in favor of, out of those three. I have no problem recommending it to previous Samsung owners, but it's harder to do it justice for people on iOS, older HTC, LG and Moto devices.

Very good comments. While I have no data, my thoughts are that the S4 has drawn more from iphone than other androids? Again not much time on the HTC board but I see tons of iphone converts on the S4. Seems like they want to try the new features?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87