Anyone use this program? Is it any good?
    05-28-2013 10:11 AM
    Answers to this question will vary!!!

I have never had a problem with Kies. I believe a lot of people's issues with Kies (and this is just a swing in the dark) have to do with their computers as well. I have a custom built rig made to do some serious work. I have never had Kies lock up on me. I have backed up numerous phones with Kies before factory defaulting or backing up data before flashing a custom ROM from stock.

On the other hand, I have heard many nightmares about Kies. If I had to guess, I think it the Kies software is JAVA based (I could be totally wrong) and requires some umph to run it the way it was meant to be run.

All said and done, most people hate it. I have found very few people that actually like it. It works fine for me, YMMV.
    05-28-2013 10:16 AM
    It's not bad. It worked for me when transferring ring tones from my mac book. I just had to move them to ring tones from music folder. For whatever reason android file transfer doesn't work. Keeps saying device not connected but Kies seems to get job done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 10:19 AM
    Anyone use this program? Is it any good?
    Welcome to the forums!

Kies.....There are times I like it, times I hate it. If you never plan on rooting your device or putting a custom ROM on it, then it is a useful tool in the aid of backing up contacts, texts, etc. It can be used to update or even restore your OS. Sometimes I need it to see a specific piece of information about a device that is not listed in the About Device section in Settings.

As I am rooted, and have a custom ROM on my device, Kies is almost useless to me. It tells me I have an unauthorized OS on my device and pretty much refuses to do almost anything for my S3. But as I have a Nandroid, I am not too concerned.

Just my take. Running on my PC is fine, a little slow to start up, but it runs fine when it does. Never had it crash, I check for updates every now and again.
    05-28-2013 10:35 AM